Home Entertainment Speakers

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

It's just about time to get some new speakers for my Imac, and this time I was thinking of doing something a little bit fancier. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to use normal home entertainment speakers as computer speakers (i.e. the speakers with the red and black clips on the back for bare wires). My biggest issue is figuring out how to interface the individual speakers with the computer. I think that it can be done through the woofer, or would i have to get some sort of receiver?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
You'll need a receiver. Even if you were to hook up the speakers to your computer there wouldn't be enough power to drive those kinds of speakers.

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

It's just about time to get some new speakers for my Imac, and this time I was thinking of doing something a little bit fancier. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to use normal home entertainment speakers as computer speakers (i.e. the speakers with the red and black clips on the back for bare wires). My biggest issue is figuring out how to interface the individual speakers with the computer. I think that it can be done through the woofer, or would i have to get some sort of receiver?

youll need a receiver/external amp for the speakers, along with a splitter like this one. it should be self explanatory from there. headphone to audio out on computer, RCA's to audio in on receiver/amp. Then wire up the speakers and your set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.