Leopard, Boot Camp, Windows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
I purchased my iMac in October, so I got the $10 Leopard upgrade. I have yet to install it, and want to get Time Capsule simultaneously. But my question is this: obviously there are many cool games to play on the Windows platform (one that I have is Colin McRae Rally 2.0) and I know that you can boot a Mac from an external drive via Firewire. Can this be done with Bootcamp and Windows XP ? I would happily devote a small external drive to the Windows duties.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacDad:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
MacDad,

I'm new to Mac, so I may not know enough about this, but here goes:

It's possible, I guess, but I doubt it... I think you have to install Windows in a computer and I don't believe an external drive qualifies, disassociated as it is from the computer. And you can't separate windows from Boot camp either, since it's an inherent part of the installation...

Once you have OS X installed, you'll get Boot Camp as a built-in Utility and then you can install Windows into it. And of course you'll have to activate Windows as a Microsoft requirement. Can you move this grouping to an external? Well, you could certainly try, but as I said earlier, I don't think the MS activation will survive the environment. And you can't separate Windows from Boot Camp.

Time Machine will copy your OS X drive and contents, but you won't be able to use it to run a program.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.