• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Computer for a 4 year old?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where to put it.

My little one is very interested in computers and has been for some time. They have computers in school, which are Windows - but they use kids software, so he's not used to any particular operating system.

So I've been meaning to get him his own (and get him off mine!) for some time now. I think he'll be needing something pretty robust.

I'm inclined to go for a notebook (he can take it to Grandma's with him) and obviously a mac - the old G3 Clamshells I've always found quite robust. Does anybody have a recommendation? If there's anything on the market specifically designed for kids that'd be great, mac or pc, ideally indestructible.

Thank you! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'll tell you what I'm planning on putting together for my 3 year old when he's ready.

The Dell Latitude C500/600 series are fairly robust series of machines that are highly serviceable and use parts that were common amongst dozens of different model lines so they are readily available. They have a mini PCI slot (for an internal Wi-Fi card) and can address at least 1GB of RAM. I've already picked up a couple of carcasses to make up a working machine. On it, I'm planning to install Edubuntu, which is a variant of Ubuntu Linux specifically geared toward kids, preloaded with all kinds of educational software and games.

I don't know that I'll allow it to go online right away (will probably wait until he's at least 6 or 7 - and even then only under my direct supervision). But it's a good start being easy to use and with lots of games preloaded.

Just thought I'd share. Not that I have anything against getting an older Mac laptop together, it's just that I know it will be broken and Apple parts tend to be expensive and difficult to find at times.

Reaction score
I don't know if I would trust a 4 year old with a notebook of ANY type, no matter how robust... Plus, the clamshells run over $120 on average, a little expensive in my eyes.

An original Rev.A/B/C iMac G3 can be had for basically nothing, runs OS X fairly well with maxed out RAM (256 MB) and they're tougher then most desktops these days. That's my suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
a refurb/used Mac Mini and cheap monitor/keyboard/mouse?

Reaction score
When I was 5 I remember putting the big floppy disc in the Mac and playing the truck driving game........... lol Sorry for the flashback

Reaction score
Whatever you decide to get, I wouldn't spend over $200 on it, it's not really worth it. I believe I got my first computer in 1999, when I was 6. It was a hand me down PC from a local company, with a 166 MHz Pentium processor, 8 MB of RAM, a 500 MB hard drive, and Windows 95. Even in 1999, it was pretty slow for the time.

All I'm saying is, don't overspend and spoil the kid.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I was 5 I remember putting the big floppy disc in the Mac and playing the truck driving game........... lol Sorry for the flashback

I remember Claris Works... and doing jigsaw puzzles.

We had a mac when I was 4 or 5 with a printer, which was about the most exciting thing I'd seen at the time!

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're probably right about spoiling him! G3 iMac is a good idea - we had them in the internet cafe I worked in and they were certainly tough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I'll tell you what I'm planning on putting together for my 3 year old when he's ready.

The Dell Latitude C500/600 series are fairly robust series of machines that are highly serviceable and use parts that were common amongst dozens of different model lines so they are readily available. They have a mini PCI slot (for an internal Wi-Fi card) and can address at least 1GB of RAM. I've already picked up a couple of carcasses to make up a working machine. On it, I'm planning to install Edubuntu, which is a variant of Ubuntu Linux specifically geared toward kids, preloaded with all kinds of educational software and games.

I don't know that I'll allow it to go online right away (will probably wait until he's at least 6 or 7 - and even then only under my direct supervision). But it's a good start being easy to use and with lots of games preloaded.

Just thought I'd share. Not that I have anything against getting an older Mac laptop together, it's just that I know it will be broken and Apple parts tend to be expensive and difficult to find at times.

I have to second this. My sister has a Dell latitude 600 and she has beaten the heck out of it. Jammed the cooling can, nail polish on the case, countless drops and throws, and 2 broken hinges. She's pretty abusive. And she's 20.

Anyway its simple to fix and i became able to tear it down and rebuild in a matter of minutes. All I have had to fix was the jammed fan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
I remember Claris Works... and doing jigsaw puzzles.

We had a mac when I was 4 or 5 with a printer, which was about the most exciting thing I'd seen at the time!

When I was 5 (1976) we were living in the Philippines. My dad was in the Air Force working at Clark Air Base. My brother and I had die cast metal Tonka trucks to play with. Personal computers and cell phones didn't exist.

I bet bobtomay had cars and trucks carved out of wood! LOL ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.