maps app keeps crashing

Reaction score
hey i've had my iphone for about a month or so and the map application has suddenly begun to crash. it'll go for a minute or so and then just close. i've tried several different things to see if the application was straining the hardware, like turning the traffic option off and trying not skimming around the map too much without proper load time. nothing seems to work, and it's really irritating me. it's also only occurring with this particular application. any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 Gb iPhone/MacBook 2.2 Ghz/G5 iMac/ 8Gb iPod touch
Well when ever I have an app crash repedetly on me I manually restart my iPhone. (hold down sleep & wake buton top of phone and the home button for about 5 seconds.) If that fails maybe restore.... or just take it to the genus bar if it is bothering you alot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 Gb iPhone/MacBook 2.2 Ghz/G5 iMac/ 8Gb iPod touch
AHAH Yes saving the world one Mac Lover at a time.

Reaction score
simple fix for maps app crashing

Somebody posted a fix on the Apple forum which worked on the first try for me:

"Go to Google Maps on a computer, use the 'Send' button to email yourself a map to an email address you can access from the iPhone. Once received, open the link from the email and it should, hopefully, load up in the iPhone Maps with no problem.

Once I'd done this successfully, I could re-open Maps, navigate, use GPS etc all with no problem again. It's as if the last thing I did keeps crashing the app as it's saved for when you next launch the app."

Reaction score
I found an even easier fix today:

Go to your contacts and find someone that you have stored an address for. Click the address. Maps will launch with the new address which seems to fix the infinite crash-on-initialise I was suffering from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.