Contemplating a Mac...

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting used. Doesn't have to be fancy but I'd like it to run a current OS and allow me to brows and email and not clock for hours to get form one app to the next. (I have no issues with adding memory).

My question is what would be a good minimum starting base. Trying to go as cheap as possible, but still get a decent representation of the Mac OS and overall feel. So would a faster G4 work or would Should I stay G5? Or what?

Also, are there any specific machines that should be avoided since buying used?

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What's your budget? That would be a good starting point for us to recommend an appropriate machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
If you want to run Leopard, and your getting a g4, make sure its faster than 867Mhz. For the best leopard experience, I would recommend a g5 or intel. Go with intel if you want to keep your computer compatible with future apple OS's

OP
T
Reaction score
I'd like to spend no more than $350 (not including any potential memory upgrade. And if I like it possibly get some use out of it. That may be asking too much, so if I do like it I may sell it towards a newer model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
you might consider getting a machine that can only run tiger then, just to get a feel. Tiger happens to be a rock solid OS in its own right. G4 or G3 should work for you.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah, it certainly doesn't have to run Leopard. However, that OS looks sweet, I'm sure Tiger operates the same, just may have less features

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I have a G4 PowerMac that is currently running Leopard. I am looking to sell it if you are interested I can get you the specs. I would recommend running Tiger as Leopard is a little slow but it is still very usable.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have a G4 PowerMac that is currently running Leopard. I am looking to sell it if you are interested I can get you the specs. I would recommend running Tiger as Leopard is a little slow but it is still very usable.

Sure, PM me if you'd like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I will tomorrow. It's not hooked up right now and it's almost 1am where I live.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I personally like that Emac a lot. Only thing is I hope it comes with the Install DVD of Tiger at least. I would upgrade the RAM to 1GB also. It would not be a bad first Mac to get used to OSX especially with what you are planning on doing on your Mac.

I would wait though for Babarnette's PM. See what kind of deal he will make with you. He is a very good user here and I am sure will be honest with you unlike some unknown on Ebay!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I thought about buying used/refurbished before buying my new MacBook. I'm glad I didn't because I absolutely love it and by buying a brand new model, I've ensured that I won't have to upgrade for quite some time.

Granted, not everyone can afford a brand new machine, but IMO, if you can swing it, do it!! :)

Reaction score
I am also contemplating a mac but really all I want it to do is connect to the internet with wifi G and run a few windows programs and KDE programs. They include: (KDE) Amarok, Kopete, K3B: (Windows)RPG Maker series, Rosetta Stone. How much ram, and processor power would I need? Is it the same as a PC or can I get away with 600mhz

T

tux08902

Use Adium X instead of Kopete. Amarok 2 will be natively available for OS X, and I'd assume the same for the upcoming K3b.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I just switched over to using Adium today instead of the Mac MSN client.

Love it! Much nicer than the Mac MSN Messenger!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
I think the eMac would suit your needs just fine. I might also check into prices of the iMac G4, and G5. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Okay, I picked up an Emac locally. 1.25Ghz G4, 512MB Ram 80GB hard drive, and a superdrive. Comes with OS X Tiger and MS Office for $150. No CDs or manuals, but hoping to sell a new copy of Windows XP to fund a copy of OS X

To late to start playing now but I have 2 questions.

1. Are there good working more cost effective alternatives to Airport Extreme wireless? I'm looking at a usb model by ASUS that seems to have pretty god reviews for 10.3 and 10.4 but apparently no drivers for 10.5 Leopard.

2. The memory is PC2700 DDR (333mhz). I would like to upgrade from 512MB to 768 or max out to a 1GB. As above, are there any reliable alternatives to getting directly from Mac?

Thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.