Few questions (things that I'm used on from windows)

Reaction score
I'll number these, for easy answering :)

1. When I click the red X the applications do not close. They just close the window I'm on? How do I get it so when I close the last browser window of Safari, that it closes Safari itself?

2. How do I minimize all open windows to view the desktop?

3. This one is a bit hard to explain... (hope I get it right). In windows explorer, when browsing files and folders there is always on the top that up-arrow folder to navigate to the parent of the current folder. When I double-click into a folder in the finder, I do not see a way to navigate to it's parent. What I'm I missing, this functionality must be there somewhere.

4. I can't get my custom shortcuts to work. I added a shortcut to open the Calculator app. It doesn't work. Do I need to save the setting somehow? Any guesses?

That's about it for now. Thanks for the help. It is interesting learning to use this thing.

T

tux08902

1. To quit applications, you need to use the keyboard shortcut Command + q or select the application menu in the top bar and click on the Quit Application button.

2. You can minimize the windows per application by pressing Command + h. This will take a bit of time, so you can press the F11 key to show desktop. It'll move all your open windows to the sides, and you can do what you want. Then, you can press F11 again to return.

3. In the Go menu for Finder, you can click on "Enclosing Folder" to get to the parent. The shortcut for this is Command + up arrow. You can also use Cover Flow view mode for this functionality. You can also enable the Path Bar through the View menu for Finder. Either of these will do what you want. The first one is exactly what you're looking for.

4. Where are you putting these shortcuts? Just add them to your dock or make an alias for them and then drag to the desktop.

OP
R
Reaction score
1. To quit applications, you need to use the keyboard shortcut Command + q or select the application menu in the top bar and click on the Quit Application button.

2. You can minimize the windows per application by pressing Command + h. This will take a bit of time, so you can press the F11 key to show desktop. It'll move all your open windows to the sides, and you can do what you want. Then, you can press F11 again to return.

3. In the Go menu for Finder, you can click on "Enclosing Folder" to get to the parent. The shortcut for this is Command + up arrow. You can also use Cover Flow view mode for this functionality. You can also enable the Path Bar through the View menu for Finder. Either of these will do what you want. The first one is exactly what you're looking for.

4. Where are you putting these shortcuts? Just add them to your dock or make an alias for them and then drag to the desktop.

1,2,3 - Oh sweet. Though with #2, I messed around.. I have to hit Fn+f11.

4. Sorry, keyboard shortcuts. I am trying to mess around with the mous and keyboard section in the system settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
1. When I click the red X the applications do not close. They just close the window I'm on? How do I get it so when I close the last browser window of Safari, that it closes Safari itself?

2. How do I minimize all open windows to view the desktop?

3. This one is a bit hard to explain... (hope I get it right). In windows explorer, when browsing files and folders there is always on the top that up-arrow folder to navigate to the parent of the current folder. When I double-click into a folder in the finder, I do not see a way to navigate to it's parent. What I'm I missing, this functionality must be there somewhere.

4. I can't get my custom shortcuts to work. I added a shortcut to open the Calculator app. It doesn't work. Do I need to save the setting somehow? Any guesses?
1. To close an application, Safari for example, either click "Safari/Quit Safari" from the top menu or hit command + Q.

2. To hide all windows, hit F11 (or fn + F11).

3. I have to admit it's been almost three months since I've had my Windows machine running so I've gotten quite accustomed to the Mac interface. But I do remember what you are talking about and the only way I know how to get to the parent directory is to use the "Path" button. It's not there by default. To get it on your toolbar right-click on your toolbar, select "Customize Toolbar", drag it to the toolbar, then click "Done".

4. To create a shortcut (alias on the Mac), right-click on the file you want an alias for and select "make alias". Then move that alias to the Desktop or where ever it is you want it to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Also to get to the desktop quickly you could use hot corners. Go to..

Apple Menu>Expose Spaces then designate the corners to do different things such as show desk top, start screen saver, show dashboard and show all windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Glossy Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 30gb iPod Video
For #3 I have found you can normally just push the left arrow in the window to go back up... for me it has worked so far with my 4 hrs of mac use :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
Also to get to the desktop quickly you could use hot corners. Go to..

Apple Menu>Expose Spaces then designate the corners to do different things such as show desk top, start screen saver, show dashboard and show all windows.

I love Expose!:Smirk:

Reaction score
I'll number these, for easy answering :)

Using the keyboard - Command+Up Arrow

Using the mouse - turn on the Path Bar (View->Show Path Bar). Double click on any parent directory to jump to that spot.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hmm.. so I still have not gotten keyboard shortcuts to work. Anyone know how I can set it up so that... say Ctrl+Apple Key+C opens the Calculator?

Reaction score
FYI. The "Apple key" is called "Command."

Im not trying to be a jerk, just trying to prevent confusion is all. ;D

Also, you seem like you would really like a program called Quicksilver that alot of us around here use.

Quicksilver

The basic way to use it is just as a quick launch program. Its seamless, and very fast. But it can do so much more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.