• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The latest "Get a Mac "ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Hm, the page is blank :/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I got them! Made me laugh ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Weird... page is blank when loaded in Firefox...OK in IE (stuck on a work XP machine...no Safari)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I can't believe this same ad campaign has been going on for 4 years. It's ok, but I think it's time for some fresh material.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Weird... page is blank when loaded in Firefox...OK in IE (stuck on a work XP machine...no Safari)
Try turning off adblock guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
works for me in firefox, with adblock on. It's quicktime though, got your plugin setup for firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I love how an acquaintance puts these ads, "my operating system choice defines who I am. I am artsy & fartsy. I am smarter than you. I am better looking than you. I am more active than you. I am more politically active than you. I am in better shape. I eat better. I drive a better car. I own a bigger house. I am superior to YOU in every possible way!
all because I use OSX!!!! "

I think they should move onto a different campaign already. These commercials do nothing more than talk bad about the other product and created arrogant and skewed users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
"Well, I'm pleased to say I've been error free for nearly a week." (repeat x 4)
"It's so hard to watch."
"Could someone restart him, please?"

Love it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I love how an acquaintance puts these ads, "my operating system choice defines who I am.

Aren't most product commercials about "selling" a lifestyle? Apple has always tried to associate their products with more than "just a computer", these ads just take that concept an extra step.
I think they should move onto a different campaign already. These commercials do nothing more than talk bad about the other product and created arrogant and skewed users.

I agree a bit on that: Whilst the adds do a great job of introducing people that have perhaps never seen or tried a Mac to some "basic truths" (e.g. they run office, are reliable etc), they might alienate more knowledgeable users.

However I think that Vista actually does a great job of counteracting that point: Even diehard windows fans love to trash vista, so whilst these ads may be taking a "cheap shot", they're probably more likely to believe the digs at vista than digs at XP.

(Side note: I just installed Vista this weekend, and I don't really see the big deal - for me as a causal "once a week" user, it's no better or worse than XP).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
I love how an acquaintance puts these ads, "my operating system choice defines who I am. I am artsy & fartsy. I am smarter than you. I am better looking than you. I am more active than you. I am more politically active than you. I am in better shape. I eat better. I drive a better car. I own a bigger house. I am superior to YOU in every possible way!
all because I use OSX!!!! "

Actually what the ad's relay are the superiority of OS X over Vista. IOW, the truth and nothing but the truth. No matter how much it hurts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Man I love these commercials,

I heard that the guy who plays "Mac" is getting his own tv show, like a comedy spoof one or something like that, anybody else hear about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Aren't most product commercials about "selling" a lifestyle? Apple has always tried to associate their products with more than "just a computer", these ads just take that concept an extra step.

As someone who is in the advertising industry, I'd say no. Unless it's what my director calls bull**** advertising.

However I think that Vista actually does a great job of counteracting that point: Even diehard windows fans love to trash vista, so whilst these ads may be taking a "cheap shot", they're probably more likely to believe the digs at vista than digs at XP.

Agreed. But what I'd say it's creating is a smug, pedantic, arrogant userbase. And it got the PC people becoming just as every bit as the same even moreso.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I used to be rather offended by what these ads implied since a huge part of my preference of OS X over Windows is that I think it's a better platform for doing the kind of non-artsy work I do (Most any tool for development, etc. that works on UNIX/POSIX/Linux/etc will work on OS X seamlessly, whereas in Windows I often have to resort to some strange thing like Cygwin to get what I need... UNIX file system and app file locations also just make more sense to me than that registry nonsense and the intractably anachronistic mess that is the C:\WINDOWS directory in general). In fact, I recall the holiday commercial where Mac was disappointed he got a C++ GUI programming guide downright dumb, because unlike Windows, OS X actually has a UNIX terminal that I can do gcc/g++ from with no extra stuff needed but the Developer Tools that come on the OS X Install DVD. I think aspects such as this actually make OS X a better development environment than Windows if you're not doing something that requires Windows-specific technologies.

Thus I feel like almost the opposite of what these ads say is true, simply because the only reason I would (and have, for a time) put a Windows partition on this machine is to do fun, average consumer-oriented things like play games.

I stopped feeling this resentment toward the ads when I accepted that these are not directed at advanced users, or even median-skilled users of computers. These are directed at the very least demanding users in terms what they actually use their computer for and what they know it's capable of. These are for the users that only want to upload photos from their digital camera up to Facebook, possibly view a slideshow or movie from said camera, and occassionally check their email and browse the Internet. Maybe throw some Microsoft Office in there so they can bring home a little work from the office. These users make up the majority of the computer userbase in general, and Apple decided to aim for them. I just accept that and laugh at the antics of the PC guy (though he's far more amusing in the British and Japanese versions). It's much easier to not be disgusted by the ads this way.

Reaction score
These are directed at the very least demanding users in terms what they actually use their computer for and what they know it's capable of. These are for the users that only want to upload photos from their digital camera up to Facebook, possibly view a slideshow or movie from said camera, and occassionally check their email and browse the Internet.

Or the 90% of the market share that Apple lacks. ;D

@ EGGO -

Apple feels its too far behind Microsoft in terms of users, and they want to catch up, fast. I see no problem in it. But I do agree, it is giving windows users a great reason to make even more stabs at the Mac platform, and its giving the average Mac user even more reason to think they are better for whatever reason. But business will be business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
After how many years, the theme is becoming tired. These ads are nice (the Living With Vista one may be the best of the bunch) but they just aren't as original and funny as they used to be. Apple needs to retire this ad line while it is still funny most of the time. You know, quit while you are ahead.

QRQ

Reaction score
Man I love these commercials,

I heard that the guy who plays "Mac" is getting his own tv show, like a comedy spoof one or something like that, anybody else hear about this?

He's already been in several movies. My favorite is Jeepers Creepers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.