• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac OS X 10.6 at WWDC 08

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' MBP, Mac minis x3, Power Mac G4 (AGP), 13'' White MacBook, eMac
This to me is going to be 95% possible, that we will see a preview release of Mac OS X 10.6, probably called Cougar. It to me seems there will be a demo as think of all the OS X versions, every public release of OS X always shows the next version at WWDC, for example, Panther came out in October of 2003, and then at WWDC 04 tiger was demoed, then in april 2005 Tiger came out to the public, there was a tiny mention of leopard in the WWDC 05 keynote, and a full demo of Mac OS X Leopard a year later at WWDC 06.

What does everybody else think, I think its very possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't think we'll see anything about a new OS until WWDC 2009 considering the increased production time we saw with Leopard, which I believe will continue with future OS versions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think it's possible. I think Tiger wasn't even out 6 months before Leopard was previewed. I wouldn't say 95%. With the all-but-guaranteed release of a new iPhone, 2.0 software, and other things, I don't think there may be enough room for an OS preview.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, 2GHZ, Core2Duo
I dont think they will preview it at WWDC, i think they will just show a screenshot of what the desktop will look like and any new programs they will be releasing.

Peace
MadChild

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
But 10.5 JUST came out.

EDIT: I didn't realize so many people posted before me. I saw the ad and assumed it was the bottom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
But 10.5 JUST came out.

EDIT: I didn't realize so many people posted before me. I saw the ad and assumed it was the bottom.

Yea that ad is pretty trippy.

But i doubt it, maybe, MAYBE next years WWDC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5/15.4/4G/250G/
Is this an upgrade, or a totally new install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I hope not I just finally got leopard

OP
Macintoshmad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' MBP, Mac minis x3, Power Mac G4 (AGP), 13'' White MacBook, eMac
I hope not I just finally got leopard

I did just mean a demo of Mac OS X 10.6, the thing won't be out till next year or around 18 months. thats how apple has always run there OS strategy for OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I did just mean a demo of Mac OS X 10.6, the thing won't be out till next year or around 18 months. thats how apple has always run there OS strategy for OS X

Except Tiger. Wasn't that out in 2005? It lasted all the way to late 2007. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly, I think the two year development period might become the norm instead of going back to the 18 month cycle. Hence why I don't think we'll see anything at WWDC 08, but rather next year, and then have it released six months after that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Yes, but the thing with Tiger is that there were actually 2 Tigers released, because the original Tiger was PPC only and then they updated the ENTIRE OS to be Intel compatible, so that may explained way Tiger had a longer lifespan then the other OS's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD
I doubt we'll see something at WWDC, it's probably too early to see anything yet. I can't wait for all the cool iPhone goodies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but the thing with Tiger is that there were actually 2 Tigers released, because the original Tiger was PPC only and then they updated the ENTIRE OS to be Intel compatible, so that may explained way Tiger had a longer lifespan then the other OS's

Leopard was in development the entire time Tiger was out, despite the platform shift. Plus, Apple stated that it had an x86 version of Tiger sitting ready to be used when the switch to Intel was announced. So it's not like making an Intel version of Tiger took much time out of Leopard's production.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Exactly, I think the two year development period might become the norm instead of going back to the 18 month cycle. Hence why I don't think we'll see anything at WWDC 08, but rather next year, and then have it released six months after that

At the same time, if I recall correctly we got a teasing glimpse of the fact Leopard was in development shortly after Tiger was released, only to be told that it would be talked about at a later date. Apple could do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Leopard was in development the entire time Tiger was out, despite the platform shift. Plus, Apple stated that it had an x86 version of Tiger sitting ready to be used when the switch to Intel was announced. So it's not like making an Intel version of Tiger took much time out of Leopard's production.

I was not aware of that. You learn something new every day. Random question, how many dev teams does apple have? Because leopard got delayed to push the iphone OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.