Printer not in list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, iPhone4, iPhone 3G, AppleTV, MobileMe
I got a free HP LaserJet 4 (yes, just "4"), and I have it connected to directly to my iMac (Leopard) with a Parallel to USB adapter. It is not showing up in my printer list, although I do see a driver for it in available drivers. Obviously, the printer is very old and I'm thinking I'm out of luck.

Any suggestions for getting the computer to recognize and use the printer would be appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand is the Parallel to USB adapter? A friend of mine got one that although it claimed to work with OSX I could never get it to show up and same with everyone else I ran into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
I am having the same problem, but I have found that every time I use the printer, I have to re-enter it into my list. Pain the butt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.