External DVD Burner Help!

Reaction score
Hello all. I just recently bought a Lite-On DX-20A4PU after researching it and finding out that it *supposedly* runs well with Macs. It hangs whenever I put *anything* in the drive though. System profiler recognizes it and all my programs can see it (DVD player, MTR, Toast, etc.), but anytime I try to actually run something the system just hangs. I tried to run it in Parallels under my XP image but it'll even hang there. Can someone please help me with this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you tried connecting the drive to another machine to make sure it isn't defective?

OP
M
Reaction score
I connected it to my iBook G4 and it does the same thing there. I wanted to try it with a Windows box but I don't think I have one that isn't a virtual machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm going to try some things and report on it later. Hopefully I can get it to work properly. If not, I'm just going to have to return it and find something else.

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay... after extension fiddling I finally got my XP image in Parallels to pseudo recognize it. The system reads it as an Atapi drive but all the features are supported (20x DVD-R/DL writing and such) so I've decided to leave well enough alone there. The thing is that now my system profiler in OSX only recognizes the drive as said Atapi and says that burning/reading is unsupported.

And the weirdest part about all this is that it only started working when I placed the drive on the optional stand and turned it on it's side (vertically). I'm not sure if this is just a case of an inferior product or a vendor selling something that isn't support as *being* supported. I guess the moral of the story is: Buyer Beware.

:'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.