• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Turned down a job cause they wanted me to work on a PC...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I recently got a call from a National newspaper (Times of India) which was spreading its base to my state (Goa, India). They were looking for designers and I just happened to be in the way. I wasn't really planning on working for someone, prefer to do my own thing, but I started toying with the idea of working for such a prestigious newspaper.

Anyway, I went for the interview, they liked what they saw. Then the cookie-lady showed me to where I would work. And guess what! I saw a freakin' PC sitting there smiling and me. Only then I realised that I would not be able to work there. So I asked them if they could get me a mac to work with. (Nope!). I asked them if I could get my Mac to work. (Nada!). So I told them that working in A BARBIE DREAM HOUSE is not my cup of tea, even though I might have some ice water once in a while.

Now I'm back to unemployed! And it feels great to type this on my Mac! :D

I just hope I didn't make the wrong choice (this is where you guys come in).

Reaction score
Who cares what you work on?
Money is money. You would be making more than you are right now sitting around unemployed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, you made the wrong choice. That's an absolutely crazy reason to turn down an otherwise good job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Yeah that was a bit uhh...what's a soft word to use here...dumb.

As for why they wouldn't allow you to bring your mac in, sometimes company policy wouldn't like you to bring your computer to work because they're too afraid of it causing problems or either party playing the blame game. Depends on the company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
It seems a very strange reason to turn down what sounds like such a great job, however they could have let you work on a mac, money is money, both for you and them, and if you are more productive on a mac then its good for both you and them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems a very strange reason to turn down what sounds like such a great job, however they could have let you work on a mac, money is money, both for you and them, and if you are more productive on a mac then its good for both you and them

I doubt his added productivity would outweigh the costs to the organization of supporting a one-off computer with a different OS and software needs than everything else they use. ;)

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jeez mom. I said I'll do my homework. Here I am stuck with....

I can always take up that job if I wanted to. Didn't I mention that I prefer doing my own thing? I only thought it might be tolerable working under someone if i got a Mac to work on. Clearly that is not happening so clearly I am not working for someone.

Also, they want me to work with Indesign and Photoshop. Doesn't seem like a lot of 'support' to me. Besides, I said I would get my own machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
ummm wow. that was a definitely a bold move. i may not like windows all that much but i can make some sacrifices.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it was a old PC with ME and bad ram, then I would have refused. :D

Sure I prefer working on OSX but XP and I get along quite well also plus it sounded like a pretty good job.

Way back in the Mac Quadra days a friend of mine actually told his new boss he would not work for them unless they bought him a Mac. They did! I guess he was that good! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Jeez mom. I said I'll do my homework. Here I am stuck with....

I can always take up that job if I wanted to. Didn't I mention that I prefer doing my own thing? I only thought it might be tolerable working under someone if i got a Mac to work on. Clearly that is not happening so clearly I am not working for someone.

Also, they want me to work with Indesign and Photoshop. Doesn't seem like a lot of 'support' to me. Besides, I said I would get my own machine.

I am the only person at my last two offices that had a mac and that is because i am the unofficial tech support for my office. It is also my own mac they didnt buy it for me. i just brought it in and started using it and they didnt say a word

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Not a smart move at all. Especially if you're still unemployed.

You might try to contact them and tell them that you have reconsidered.
That way, if you're lucky, you might be able to save face and see if they are still willing to offer you the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, Dell Inspiron 9400
Yep got to agree with everyone so far. It would not matter what I had to use so long as the pay was right. As to them letting you use your Mac, I run an IT shop for and I would not let you ether. I had to pull teeth to get my MBA and then only for experimental use not for my main production machine.

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uh.... did I forget to mention I currently do freelancing? So I do make money. Probably would make more money on my own if I worked more than 2 hours a day.

And for everyone here, might I recommend a nice little website/blog. Its called "Freelance Switch". You might want to check it out sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uh.... did I forget to mention I currently do freelancing? So I do make money. Probably would make more money on my own if I worked more than 2 hours a day.

And for everyone here, might I recommend a nice little website/blog. Its called "Freelance Switch". You might want to check it out sometimes.

So my question is, you asked for feedback on your decision, and then you cop an attitude with those giving it to you...

What's the point of asking if you don't want to hear it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Uh.... did I forget to mention I currently do freelancing?
Yes, you did. What you did say was:

Now I'm back to unemployed!
I freelance as well, but I also hold down a full-time job.
Freelance will only earn you so much. And, unless you have a large list of clients with repeat business for you, freelance alone obviously won't cut it.

You asked for opinions about whether or not you made a good decision or not.
The general consensus is "No, you didn't".

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I recently got a call from a National newspaper (Times of India) which was spreading its base to my state (Goa, India). They were looking for designers and I just happened to be in the way. I wasn't really planning on working for someone, prefer to do my own thing, but I started toying with the idea of working for such a prestigious newspaper.
Sound like that job would have been good to have on a resume. It would looks good to your customers since you are freelancing.

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... Maybe I shouldn't have posted anything on this forum and baked cookies instead. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sound like that job would have been good to have on a resume. It would looks good to your customers since you are freelancing.
Exactly. If USA Today called me and offered me a job, I would probably jump on it. I wouldn't have to work there forever, but it would be a very nice resume entry for the next job I would go for. It would also look very impressive for potential freelance clients.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... Maybe I shouldn't have posted anything on this forum and baked cookies instead. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm out.

I might suggest with an attitude like yours you'll have difficulty keeping freelance clients. Being open to constructive criticism is important. You clearly aren't open to it which will be a huge detriment in the long run.

I suggest you work on that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Dude - seriously?

Assuming that's actually the only reason you didn't start there, I'd call them and say you've reconsidered.
As others have mentioned - with a gig like that on your resume, you can probably hike your prices by 50%!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.