• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Online Store sucks ?

Reaction score
Hi guys

I just wanted to share this with you. When I was in the USA (I was a seasonal worker from Peru at Park City, UT for Park City Mountain Resort), I bought my 32 gb iPod Touch at the local (well, Salt Lake City, about 40 mins and you needed to rent a car...) Apple Store. I also bought some clear skins for the screen and back and a Agent 18 clear protection case. That went great. When I got home, in the next few days I decided I wanted to get some iPod socks and an iPod charger so I didn't need the PC to charge it. So, since going to the Apple Store was not a possibility due to cost and time, I decided to order online from the Apple Online Store.

The iPod socks and the charger were sent separately and both came from... SHANGHAI, CHINA!!! I couldn't believe it, it took almost a MONTH to get to my place, and what's worse is that I only got the iPod socks, the charger took almost 2 MONTHS to arrive and it just did... I'm in PERU now, where I live. I'm having a friend send the little box over here (it will cost me like 14 dollars, so the charger now just elevated it's price from 29.99 + 4.00 to an extra 14.00 bucks, that's almost 48 bucks!!). Plus, Apple in both cases used some sort of DHL service which aparently was some sort of regular mail service or something, without tracking. They should've specified or provided an option of carrier since some people, like me, needed either FedEx or UPS (like most stores do) since the items were going to a bussiness address because my apartment complex didn't have a mailbox.

Well, anyway, my biggest concern now is, if I custom order a MBP on the Online Store, which I believe is the ONLY way to do it since you can't at the Apple Store, will the product still be shipped from CHINA and take more than a month to arrive ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unfortunately, yes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I custom ordered my MBP, took 3-4 days to configure it, got sent out from China (I know for sure, I tracked it), and it came in about 3-4 more days. A little over a week and it was at my door...dunno why it took you so long for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
I ordered my first Mac (MBP) on March 31st. Payed extra for the expedited shipping, since my old laptop had both screen hinges broken (hah).

I watched it diligently on FedEx while it left Shanghai, took a stop in Anchorage, then to Detroit, Missassauga, and finally to my doorstep (Nova Scotia, Canada) in 7 days. Best day of my life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
I'm the same as the other guys. I ordered my MacBook Pro about a month ago and it showed up in 8 days.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's unusual (at least in the US) for it to take more than a few days in shipping. DHL is actually an express/air delivery service, not the USPS. In fact DHL is famous for having bought out another company called Airborne Express, just to give you an idea of what kind of carrier they are.

Anyway, all of the Apple products I've purchased in recent memory (four iPods and 1 MacBook Pro) have shipped straight from the manufacturer in Shanghai. Typically it goes from Shanghai to Fairbanks (Alaska) to Middletown (my home on the East Coast of the US) in just a couple of days, even though I've ordered "standard" shipping. My guess is that your late delivery is the result of customs delays in your native country.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
That is too bad, but the Apple Online Store is not consistently like that. I ordered this Mac Pro and it showed up in 5 working days. I would say that this is a pretty good "on time" performance. I am actually not sure where it shipped from, but it arrived one day earlier than they projected, so I am happy with that result.

Hopefully your experience is a "one of" (yes, I mean "one of" not "one off" - think about the meaning of the words).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
my MBP showed up in just about 12 days. Course, the bulk of that time was before it even shipped. Once shipped it took 5 days (mostly because it shipped saturday after the cut off and sat in Shanghai until Monday) to get here.

Reaction score
I have ordered multiple items (mbp, mac pro, ipods, printer, apple tv, etc) from the online store and they all have arrived very quickly. I have always been pleased with the service and the quality of the products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Took a month to get my MacBook from China to England via Amsterdam...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
When i ordered my mbp although not costumed it still took at least 2 weeks. Customisation will take longer.

So in answer to your question, yes it all comes from China.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.