Best External Hard Drive For College Student?

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Im going to college next year and I have a couple of questions about external hard drives. I have the latest generation macbook. The first question obviously is the amount of the memory im looking at. Im going to be using the hard drive mainly to back up my document files, music and pics (via time machine). Secondly, what brands are the best? I've heard a lot of good things about My Passport, Seagate, and My Book. However, I've also heard of accounts where they crap out after a month's use. Also, being a college student, Im a little limited in the financial department.
I dont know much about external hard drives, so anything you have to offer is fantastic. Thanks so much!

-Jay:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Western Digital has had very good reviews around here. I think they are well priced as well. People use them for time machine all the time. That is my suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
jay,

I agree with ogacon completely. I have a WD Passport 160GB that I bought for $90, but here's a whole page with different sizes/prices for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=western+digital+passports&x=14&y=36

Notice that they are small, run on USB power and are quite reliable. These prices go up to like $150 for a 320GB. Look them over and if you like them, then go to PriceGrabber and search for the size you want - you may be able to beat the Newegg price. Newegg is a great supplier, though.

Good luck, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
you will typically always find more negative things said then postive as people like to complain when things go wrong.

I have two WD external hard drives an 80gb passport i use for time machine back ups. it runs very quietly and i have had no problems with it. I also have a 500 GB my book. The power save mode on it is useful, it starts up and shuts down quickly and looks great.

I also have a maxtor one touch 320 gb hard drive. i have had this one for about 2.5 years. it is quieter than the WD my book which is nice. it does have a larger foot print and a white light on it that flashes brightly in a dark room it can be a little annoying. those are the only two negatives about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I also have a WD MyBook Pro 500GB and it is very quiet. Ive had it for over a year now and I use it daily for time machine. WD gets my vote.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.