• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Teenagers Are Being Led Astray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I was asked to sit in on a political discussion at the highschool here by a friend. He told me I had to hear some of the answers to believe it. The teens (mostly 9th graders and one or two 10th graders) were asked individually for what reason we were fighting in Iraq. There are around 31 students, all but two said, "Because Iraq bombed the world trade centers, and hijacked airplanes" or a similar statement.

Now let me know if I'm wrong but... didn't out government say that we were going into the war for our own personal safety, to disarm Iraq from Nuclear Weapons, and dispose of a dictator?

The only two kids that rejected that idea, stated a more liberal point of view, expressing the Bush oil interests at hand etc etc.

It amazed me that so many kids thought that Iraq as a people, and Saddam as a dictator had hijacked the 9.11 planes. I'm not reputing involvement, but these kids thought that the whole war was about terrorist attacks. When asked almost none of them said anything about Iraq's nuclear arms, dictator etc?!

I may be totally off the helm here, but my impression of what the media wanted us to believe was completely different than the reason these 29 or so kids said it was.

**Now let me state that I think I have a very different opinion from what the kids said and what the media is saying why we went into Iraq, I won't go into detail because you all don't really need to know my political stance.**

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Here's my views on this. I dont care if people agree or not as the first amendment gives me this right.

We went to Iraq because they had "Weapons of Mass Destruction" and Nuke-u-lar (ala Bush) capabilities. Have we found any of that?? No.

The only reason we are there now is to try and keep the Iraqi citizens from shooting each other over religion. Im at the point where if a bunch of people want to keep beheading people who are trying to help them and killing each other over slight religious differences then we should just pull out and leave them. If they actually started making an effort though then by all means we should be helping them.

But Im sick and tired of paying taxes for a war I dont believe in while people in America are in extreme poverty and the economy is falling apart. There needs to be universal health care so people arent dying because they are broke and people need to quit being so greedy.

Besides most teenagers are only concerned about fitting in and looking cool.

I realize this may give me negative rep but it's not like my life will begin to spiral out of control because of it. Now if you will excuse me I am going to get off my soap box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I don't know what's scarier ... the fact that these kids thought Iraq was responsible for 9.11 or that a few of them spewed forth "a more liberal point of view".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Wait, why are we in Iraq then?

:)

I thought that was what the fuss has been about for the longest time. People put the war in Iraq together with the hunt for Osama because the two started at the same time after 9/11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Here's my views on this. I dont care if people agree or not as the first amendment gives me this right.

We went to Iraq because they had "Weapons of Mass Destruction" and Nuke-u-lar (ala Bush) capabilities. Have we found any of that?? No. The only reason we are there now is to try and keep the Iraqi citizens from shooting each other over religion.
Im at the point where if a bunch of people want to keep beheading people who are trying to help them and killing each other over slight religious differences then we should just pull out and leave them. If they actually started making an effort though then by all means we should be helping them.
But Im sick and tired of paying taxes for a war I dont believe in while people in America are in extreme poverty and the economy is falling apart. There needs to be universal health care so people arent dying because they are broke.
Besides most teenagers are only concerned about fitting in and looking cool. Ignorance only breeds more ignorance

Irealize this may give me negative rep but it's not like my life will begin to spiral out of control because of it
Part of me agrees with you. Part of me doesn't. The problem is these nut-bags view us (the USA) as the enemy so if left alone, eventually, they will us strike again. I'd much rather fight on their doorsteps than ours. I sleep better knowing their families have a higher risk of dying from a bomb on any given night than mine. I want to keep it that way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
July 24, 2007

President Bush Discusses War on Terror in South Carolina

I wonder why they put it together :Smirk:

Quote:
"That would be news to Osama bin Laden. He's proclaimed that the "third world war is raging in Iraq." Osama bin Laden says, "The war is for you or for us to win. If we win it, it means your defeat and disgrace forever." I say that there will be a big defeat in Iraq and it will be the defeat of al Qaeda. (Applause.)

Today I will consider the arguments of those who say that al Qaeda and al Qaeda in Iraq are separate entities. I will explain why they are both part of the same terrorist network -- and why they are dangerous to our country. "

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Part of me agrees with you. Part of me doesn't. The problem is these nut-bags view us (the USA) as the enemy so if left alone, eventually, they will us strike again. I'd much rather fight on their doorsteps than ours. I sleep better knowing their families have a higher risk of dying from a bomb on any given night than mine. I want to keep it that way!

I agree with you there. They are pretty psychotic. It just seems like a never ending war

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
From what I read, after doing a research paper on Bin Laden, at first he asked politely to get US troops out of his land because they were interfering with his religious beliefs and practices. As time grew, he became more impatient and started the threats. We never backed out or gave him any space so he felt he had to make good on one of his threats to finally get some attention.

Obviously, his means to get attention was done in a very poor manner. I do not condone his acts nor sympathize with him. But, we did give him all of the weapons and training and a reason to do such a thing. What would have happened had we moved out of his land in the first place? Maybe none of this would have happened.

I will refrain from saying anymore at the risk of getting a word war started here. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And weren't we allies at one point?? What happened there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
And weren't we allies at one point?? What happened there?

We were. We supported him in his fight against Russia I believe. I remember watching something on the History channel about that. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We were. We supported him in his fight against Russia I believe. I remember watching something on the History channel about that. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Thats exactly what I remember. We even supplied him with weapons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
www.zeitgeistmovie.com , just another perspective on it, you will want to skip past the first 30 minutes or so which is all about religions, all though it is very interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I think there will be problems in the Middle East as long as there is a need for oil. The religious fanatics over there will continue to preach that we are the root of all their problems instead of seeing that it is there own corrupt government. Even if we leave at this point the damage is done. They blame us for all their problems and they will continue to try and find ways to attack us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think there will be problems in the Middle East as long as there is a need for oil. The religious fanatics over there will continue to preach that we are the root of all their problems instead of seeing that it is there own corrupt government. Even if we leave at this point the damage is done. They blame us for all their problems and they will continue to try and find ways to attack us.

Couldn't agree more:)

Reaction score
www.zeitgeistmovie.com , just another perspective on it, you will want to skip past the first 30 minutes or so which is all about religions, all though it is very interesting.

That video... is simply the most disrespectful piece of imagination that I have ever seen. I would like for you to personally go to every family who lost loved ones and show them that bias pile of cr@p. Not a single qualified person/engineer/architect or anyone else without such a creative imagination spoke about 9/11 in that video.

How about you watch this. Its about 40 thousand times less bias. And presents that point of view, as well as ones from engineers/architects and the like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey hey hey! I'm not saying it's correct or that I believe in it or anything of the sort, I have watched that, I have watched as many videos about it as I have been able to find. I am not convinced that government set it up, but I do believe that either the government is misinformed or lying about something. Let's try to keep the rest discussion respectful.

Reaction score
Well, in that case I will flat out say. I am sorry. It was wrong of me to jump so far. But as far as keeping the discussion respectful, I'm all for it. I dont like political correctness, its a joke. But videos like that are disrespect, taken to an extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry about it, I'm going to keep my opinions to my self on that topic as I can see that going nowhere good. On topic, the level of uncaring and unwilling people to educate themselves in my generation especially about issues like this really saddens me, I have done my best to try to get people to care or at least get the right information to people on politics and what not, but there is no arguing with stupidity. :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.