PDA

View Full Version : New Ad Format Coming to Mac-Forums

schweb
05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Starting Wednesday, May 7, you may notice a new ad format on Mac-Forums. The new ad will appear between the first and second post in a thread. This new format will help us attract more advertisers to our site which in the end means a better site for all of you!

While we know that ads aren't always your most favorite thing about the forum, it is what helps pay for the site and they allow us to keep bringing you this outstanding community.

And remember, when you're in the market for a product, please think about clicking through to our advertisers for purchase. Not only does it help support this forum, but it also helps support many of the smaller Mac developers that advertise on this board.

eric
05-02-2008, 04:00 PM
man, i gotta be honest, i hate those inter-thread ads.

i do click through from time to time on the top ad.

so, i'm guessing there's no news, or progress, on a paid membership sort of thing that would give paid members ad-less browsing?

schweb
05-02-2008, 05:18 PM
so, i'm guessing there's no news, or progress, on a paid membership sort of thing that would give paid members ad-less browsing?

It's definitely something we're still considering. We just need to determine logistics and try to understand whether enough true demand would be there. It's one thing for people to say they want it and another for people to actually take advantage of it once it's here. :)

mathogre
05-02-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm all for paid subscriptions and all against intrusive ads. I'll look at Google text ads, or at ads I want to see. Most ads however I ignore. I'm tired of getting blasted by omnipresent hucksterism.

I have no problem paying my own way. I do it all the time. I've even donated money for forums that were non-profit when I didn't need to pay a zinc penny.

Intrusive ads are annoying. 'Nuf said.

PapaNoHair
05-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I agree with Eric - I will not do business with any company that advertises that way. I am more then agreeable to paying a membership fee for the privilege of being in this forum.

eric
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
hey schweb, since i'm guessing this is happening in a couple days regardless of feedback here, will inet be able to tell where they're seeing more of their ad clicks come from? i mean can they tell if they get (for example) 5% of the ad clicks from inter-thread ads, 15% from sidebar ads on the main page, and 80% from top and bottom banner ads?

bobtomay
05-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Sorry, have to agree with everyone else.

I have been trying to use Safari most of the time.
But in Opera, even those top banner ads are turned off.

Just see my response (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=646670&postcount=15) to going to the theater to watch Iron Man in relationship to ads/commercials.

And yes, I would pay a yearly fee for a no ad site.
Admittedly, I am probably a little extreme in this matter also.

schweb
05-02-2008, 08:13 PM
hey schweb, since i'm guessing this is happening in a couple days regardless of feedback here, will inet be able to tell where they're seeing more of their ad clicks come from? i mean can they tell if they get (for example) 5% of the ad clicks from inter-thread ads, 15% from sidebar ads on the main page, and 80% from top and bottom banner ads?

Yes, it's easy to track user click behavior so I would imagine that will be taken into account. The inline ads are a test.

No one likes ads, but they're a necessary evil. If this type of ad is a failure, I'm sure we'll consider removing them.

eric
05-02-2008, 08:20 PM
cool - as long as there's some possibility that vehement resistance and non-clicking may get them removed... ;P :D

i think you guys should figure out how to package a t-shirt/"pro" member deal for like 20 bucks a year. ;)

Lifeisabeach
05-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry, have to agree with everyone else.

I have been trying to use Safari most of the time.
But in Opera, even those top banner ads are turned off.

Just see my response (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=646670&postcount=15) to going to the theater to watch Iron Man in relationship to ads/commercials.

And yes, I would pay a yearly fee for a no ad site.
Admittedly, I am probably a little extreme in this matter also.

I'm pretty ticked off over those theater commercials also. I actually stopped going to movies for a bit over those too. But what really gets my goat is the trailers and ads on DVDs. I pay a fair enough sum for a DVD... more than what movie tickets woulda cost me. I don't want to watch outdated movie trailers over and over. It's not quite so bad for the ones that let you zip past all the trailers with one click to the menu, but there's some that FORCE you to zip past only one at a time. Grrrrrrrr.... and they wonder why piracy is so rampant.

bobtomay
05-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm pretty ticked off over those theater commercials also. I actually stopped going to movies for a bit over those too. But what really gets my goat is the trailers and ads on DVDs. I pay a fair enough sum for a DVD... more than what movie tickets woulda cost me. I don't want to watch outdated movie trailers over and over. It's not quite so bad for the ones that let you zip past all the trailers with one click to the menu, but there's some that FORCE you to zip past only one at a time. Grrrrrrrr.... and they wonder why piracy is so rampant.

Yep, those are a drag also. But, at least there is a way to get past them without the need of leaving the room.

We almost never watch live TV anymore for the same reason. With the handy little DVR, just starting your viewing 30-40 minutes after the first show begins provides for a commercial free evening.

But, that's another thread. Think we may be guilty of hijacking this one now.

Sorry, schweb. Back to main menu.

cwa107
05-04-2008, 12:15 AM
All I can say is.... thank goodness for "Ad Block Plus" for Firefox. It's made a world of difference for me. Hopefully it picks up these in-thread ads too.

mojonandha
05-04-2008, 04:27 AM
man, i gotta be honest, i hate those inter-thread ads.

i do click through from time to time on the top ad.

I doubt anyone would be willing to pay . Ppl already use Adblock plus so i doubt anyone would even see the ad's. And its a very bad idea to entertain paid membership coz i havent seen a mac forum like that, so this would just annoy ppl and they would switch to an another mac forum.

Kilted1
05-04-2008, 04:32 AM
I can understand the need to have ads and I can understand the reasons not to have them. I would willingly donate as Mathogre has said. If it would help make MF a better place

schweb
05-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Sorry, schweb. Back to main menu.

Sorry, that button's disabled. ;)

schweb
05-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I doubt anyone would be willing to pay . Ppl already use Adblock plus so i doubt anyone would even see the ad's. And its a very bad idea to entertain paid membership coz i havent seen a mac forum like that, so this would just annoy ppl and they would switch to an another mac forum.

There are actually quite a few popular boards out there with paid membership. I fail to see why anyone would leave over it, I doubt that would occur here.

PapaNoHair
05-04-2008, 03:07 PM
There are actually quite a few popular boards out there with paid membership. I fail to see why anyone would leave over it, I doubt that would occur here.

I agree with you - perhaps a poll would give you some indication?

PunkRockTuba
05-04-2008, 05:24 PM
If you cant view the forum without paying I think a lot of people would leave, I would, sorry to say.

Paying for a forum isnt a big deal to me as long as you can still view the forums without paying. I belong to one of the largest paid forums on the internet and the reason I paid was because it is a one time fee of $10.

dtravis7
05-04-2008, 05:31 PM
As long as there was both Paid and Free with Ads it would work, but if MF became Paid Only, Most the the people needing quick help would leave and go somewhere where they can ask their question for free.

I am a member of a forums that does both Paid and Ad's. I was going to join the pay part of the forums but $$$ is very tight right now. PC forum by the way.

So it MF went all pay, I would have to leave as I really at this point in time don't have the $$$. I am here to help people.

schweb
05-04-2008, 05:38 PM
If you cant view the forum without paying I think a lot of people would leave, I would, sorry to say.

Paying for a forum isnt a big deal to me as long as you can still view the forums without paying. I belong to one of the largest paid forums on the internet and the reason I paid was because it is a one time fee of $10.

I don't think anyone ever said that it would be pay or no forum. The paid version would be ad free and possibly some other perks.

PunkRockTuba
05-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't think anyone ever said that it would be pay or no forum. The paid version would be ad free and possibly some other perks.

Nobody said it would be a pay only forum, I was just talking about if it were.

schweb
05-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Nobody said it would be a pay only forum, I was just talking about if it were.

Sure. I just wanted to make it very clear that is not happening. Sometimes people will read into things or take them the wrong way. I just wanted to be sure that people are very aware that there is no intention of ever making this a pay-only forum. :)

fleurya
05-05-2008, 06:54 PM
I don't mind the ads. You can't do anything without seeing them, so they're like white noise to me any more, unless it's something I would actually have an interest in. I go to a forum where there's ads exactly like what will happen here and I personally don't mind it.

mac0s9user
05-05-2008, 07:33 PM
The only ad I have ever used was Crucials. But I was going there anyway...

jram
05-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I never saw a ad here, but paid member , yeah right. Most people here aren't old enough to be paperboys, how would they pay?

schweb
05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
I never saw a ad here, but paid member , yeah right. Most people here aren't old enough to be paperboys, how would they pay?

You clearly don't have a good grasp on our membership demographics then. But thanks for the feedback.

eric
05-10-2008, 01:57 PM
man, i hate to shake this beehive, but did this get cancelled or just delayed?

schweb
05-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Just delayed.

Tanner31593
05-14-2008, 06:53 PM

Uh, MY MOM WOULD PAY, then i'd do chores! lol
Nothing wrong with being young. :D

Anyway, sorry that i'm just jumping in on this now.
I would pay depending on the numbers we are talking about.
It would be great to have no ads, especially for us with dial up.
It's like a facebook page with no applications...it's fast and to the point.
I'd be glad to pay a small fee to be a part of this ROCKIN' place filled with ROCKIN' people.
Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside......

This community is a mothers hug amongst a world of sexual predators and spam.

rman
05-14-2008, 07:30 PM
It appears that the ads are here now. For me it slows down the loading of a page.

Derek McNelly
05-14-2008, 07:47 PM
I'd gladly pay for an ad free site.

GLADLY.

I can't stand the inline ads.

MBasile
05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
those are definitely annoying and give the forum a cheaper look. If I wanted to buy their product I would have found it on my own. I also don't care "how popular my favorite star is." If you're looking for more money maybe try cycling around ads more. I already have crucial memory!

As far as the movie theater thing goes....I'm fine with the ads before the movie, its the constant upselling I cant stand. When I say a medium popcorn, I don't want a large for 50 more, if I say a medium soda, I don't want a large for 50 more, if I wanted to try their "new" candy I would have grabbed it on my own.

PapaNoHair
05-14-2008, 08:33 PM
How much would it work out to (individually) if the money generated by these new, irritating ads were spread out among 1) all members, 2) us hard core members on a monthly/yearly fee??

Kash
05-14-2008, 08:38 PM
All I've gotta say is thank goodness for Adblock :D

cheesybanana
05-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah, it slows me down as well. Stupid cheap cable connection...

Though I will not leave because of them, I have a feeling it may turn off new members. It does look cheap.

I like the euphemisms in your first post though, shweb ;)

puaerotch
05-14-2008, 08:47 PM
As far as the movie theater thing goes....I'm fine with the ads before the movie, its the constant upselling I cant stand. When I say a medium popcorn, I don't want a large for 50 more, if I say a medium soda, I don't want a large for 50 more, if I wanted to try their "new" candy I would have grabbed it on my own.

I completely understand and agree with you on that but you shouldn't get upset at the employee for this. They can actually get fired for not upselling. I was told this when I interviewed at a local theater for a summer job a couple years ago. (Didn't take the job, mainly because they didn't pay enough, but also because I didn't want to get fired for not being a jerk)

WakeCarver
05-14-2008, 09:32 PM
adblock plus is your friend!!! I wouldn't be opposed to a paid subscription plan though.

appleisgreat
05-14-2008, 09:55 PM
adblock plus is your friend!!! I wouldn't be opposed to a paid subscription plan though.

Very true... with ABP I do not see any ads on this site, let alone new ones. What kind of ads are they, and why so annoying?

Noels
05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Schweb,

This new ad format is disconcerting, to say the least - I read the OP's problem and looked for the first response and Voila! there's this big ad in the middle of the discussion...

I know someone has to pay, but the ads weren't intrusive before. Can't we just go back to the way they were? I'll pay if we have to, but this is just my honest opinion.

Noel

Thedspeth
05-14-2008, 10:24 PM
The ads WERE obtrusive and ugly... "were" because I installed adblock for safari! I probably wouldn't have if it weren't for the huge ads after the first post! Thank you mac-forums! LOL

Eric559
05-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Why the big block adverts? Why not the long horizontal ones that are at the top or a regular sized banner ad?

iWhat
05-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Just a reminder guys, this is only a test. iNET has the final say, if this will be implemented. iNET's advertisers are specifically interested in advertising on Mac-forums, but the site design does not support the advertiser's square ads, so these particular ads are inserted only once in a thread.

As for loading time, it's been an issue with the ads here, even before the in-line ads started. You'll notice that on sites other than Mac-forums.

eliehass
05-15-2008, 12:17 AM
I would definitely pay money so that there won't be ads. I'll pay money just to support the site too, just set up a place to receive money.

Derek McNelly
05-15-2008, 12:49 AM
AdBlocker for Safari = Problem Solved.

eliehass
05-15-2008, 01:13 AM
yeah, i just got adblocker. Is it possible that the new ad format is driving more and more people to get adblock thus DE-creasing add traffic?

iWhat
05-15-2008, 01:30 AM
yeah, i just got adblocker. Is it possible that the new ad format is driving more and more people to get adblock thus DE-creasing add traffic?

I doubt it, those of you who choose to use ad blocking software would most likely never want to click on the ads in the first place. :)

eliehass
05-15-2008, 01:34 AM
I doubt it, those of you who choose to use ad blocking software would most likely never want to click on the ads in the first place. :)

I don't know... I clicked ads before, but the ad in the middle of the forum was too intrusive in my opinion. I mainly got adblocker just to stop that... Like I said before, I would be willing to pay money so that MF would not have to resort to ads like that, even if the banner ads on top remained.

Waterpolo820
05-15-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm all for M-F getting money, but I would much prefer having the ads on sides and NOT in the Middle, I click on ads, but the ones in the middle are a bit annoying, and I don't want ad blocker because sometimes the ads are interesting.

I'm just glad that it isn't on every page, just between the 1st and 2nd.

Add me for paying for a monthly/yearly fee for a limited add environment.

mac0s9user
05-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Just got ad-block as well. I wouldn't mind the ads if they were on the bottom or side. With these ads are more features coming? :D

iWhat
05-15-2008, 02:54 AM
With these ads are more features coming? :D

Hmm, you might be onto something. These new ads have to pay for these coming features somehow. O:)

mac0s9user
05-15-2008, 02:58 AM
Ohh It's like Christmas morning at Mac-Forums!! Any hints?

No sig? Weird :P

iWhat
05-15-2008, 03:30 AM
Ohh It's like Christmas morning at Mac-Forums!! Any hints?

No sig? Weird :P

Features that are not normal for average forums to have. I've already said too much!

mac0s9user
05-15-2008, 05:13 AM
The suspense is killing me! Ill be patient...

serenity now

serenity now

PapaNoHair
05-15-2008, 07:28 AM
All I've gotta say is thank goodness for Adblock :D

Thanks for the heads up! Installed it on Safari and - voila! No more ads. I now withdraw my offer for a paid membership ;D

Noels
05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi folks, I have Firefox and just installed AdBlock Plus for Firefox. I had to also install a filter which pointed to mac-forums.com and ALL the ads have gone away, including the original headers we had. I had to look for the Home, Profile, Search, etc bar to find it without the big header design we have here... All my avatars are gone, too... So maybe it works too well :)

I hope this ad trial we're having will reconsider so the ads can become less intrusive, maybe at the top of the tread instead of after the first post... that would be more acceptable to everyone, I think.

There was a similar campaign at ComputerPowerUser.com forum where they put the ad at the right top side and it ate the entire space all the way down the right side of the page. Cramped all of the tread. THAT was a fight and CPU finally changed the placement of the ads to the top of the page, way above the threads. THAT works well. Maybe check that out, iWhat...

Noel

EDIT: Just disabled Adblock - the mac-forum pages were denuded because all the neat design features disappeared as well as the ads. Guess I'll just have to avoid looking at those new ads :)

schweb
05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Remember folks, we do listen to your feedback and this is currently a test. If it ends up being successful it stays, if not, then it will go. Only time will tell.

Personally I don't find it that intrusive, it certainly is a little different. But it's only one place in the entire thread so once you scroll past it, your done. I find it far better than those annoying ads that take over your screen, "fan out", move across the screen, or play obnoxious music. So in the grand scheme, if it helps us bring in revenue and in turn bring new things to this site, I think it's ok. :)

We had a need to provide a certain size ad based on advertiser demand. That ad size couldn't be commodated anywhere else than where it is now.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I thank you for your feedback and we'll continune to take that into consideration as we judge the effectiveness of this campaign.

mac0s9user
05-15-2008, 04:07 PM
It's still better than a pop-up ad. I can live with it. Especially with ad-blocker

Waterpolo820
05-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Yea after a day i'm already getting use to it, don't get me wrong it still is a tad annoying, but FAR less noticeable, its just second nature to scroll down that bit more now.

eliehass
05-16-2008, 12:03 AM
going in a complete 180 I actually just disabled adblocker, clicked an ad and bought the item. Hello 12 mac apps, lol.

Mac O Licious
05-16-2008, 06:13 PM
A-Noying!

I hate this.

It is frustrating me more than anything.

I have run several forums & sites & always made sure never to force ads on people. This will hurt the site in my opinion more than help it.

ki99
05-16-2008, 06:27 PM
i'm actually perfectly fine with this kind of ad. ads don't get annoying 'till you need to click them to stop them being annoying (especially those ones that open right on the the page [flash ads maybe?] and you can't even read the information) i would say, stay away from sound, and any sort of pop-ups, and i will continue to use, and love this forum.

as for the paid membership, i'm a poor teenager, so i couldn't pay, but if i could, i would. all i can say is if you do decide to do it, please add features to the payers, and not take any features we have now away from non-payers.

Kash
05-16-2008, 06:28 PM
If it's that annoying, do what the other members here did. Install adblock on either Safari or Firefox. There's no need to whine about it when there's a perfectly reasonable solution.

dtravis7
05-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I have no problems so far with the ads. Only thing that happened the first day they went up is I thought it was the end of the message! :D

Once I realized they were the In-Line adds, I just kept scrolling down and all was fine.

CL33Zero
05-17-2008, 02:54 AM
If they were just wider, and shorter. And didnt take as much scrolling. Whats so wrong with making them shorter and wider? Like putting the top banner ads there in the place of the new ones. These just seem obnoxious. If the site needs a little money, then fine, but do the dang things need forty thousand inches of margin to top it off? It just looks unprofessional is all. And for whoever starts a thread it just screams I AM THE THREAD POSTER!

schweb
05-17-2008, 09:10 AM
If they were just wider, and shorter. And didnt take as much scrolling. Whats so wrong with making them shorter and wider? Like putting the top banner ads there in the place of the new ones.

As I stated a few times already, there was a need for square ads that size as requested by a few advertisers. So another rectangular banner ad doesn't do it. If it did, we would have just used the spots we already had. ;)

baggss
05-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, just another reason to not spend as much time here.

Tanner31593
05-17-2008, 03:48 PM
So, does this adblock thing really speed up the loading times of the pages?

Kash
05-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Like you wouldn't believe

PapaNoHair
05-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes it speeds it up for me. I love it. I have it on Safari since, for me, Safari runs quicker.

schweb
05-17-2008, 08:54 PM
BTW, I've reported the ads loading slowly at times and someone will be looking at it.

Noels
05-17-2008, 09:37 PM
If you use Firefox, like I do, instead of Safari, the Adblock is called Adblock Plus and it gets rid of all the graphics on the page. Not only ads, but icons, reputations and all the other neat design features that make Mac-Forums look nice. So I just disabled Adblock Plus and have learned to live with the ads.

Noel

mudpuppy
05-17-2008, 09:38 PM
If you use Firefox, like I do, instead of Safari, the Adblock is called Adblock Plus and it gets rid of all the graphics on the page. Not only ads, but icons, reputations and all the other neat design features that make Mac-Forums look nice. So I just disabled Adblock Plus and have learned to live with the ads.

Noel

That"s strange it only removes the adds for me all else is still there.

Noels
05-17-2008, 09:48 PM
mudpuppy,

I had to edit my initial post here -

I ended up having a problem with the Firefox version of Adblock... I can't get it to delete/hide any of the ads. Adblock Plus got rid of everything so I disabled it. Now after I installed Adblock in Firefox i can't seem to get it to delete/hide any ads.

Anyone have any advice for me vis-a-vis Adblock?

Noel

mac0s9user
05-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Bah! Ad blocker takes care of it, Give it a shot. The revenue will eventually benefit us I am sure

mac57
05-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I will join this fray. I find these new ads atrocious, simply atrocious. Like many posters, I would gladly pay an annual fee for a completely ad free version of Mac Forums. These new ads are an enormous step in the wrong direction.

I make it a point of NEVER, EVER clicking through on any ad that appears on ANY site, and that includes Google searches (unless of course the sponsored link is the ONLY one that looks reasonable, and that rarely happens). I am nearly outraged by the insidious intrusion of advertising into every facet of modern life. I express that outrage by doing my absolute best to ignore it all, and will NEVER reward an advertiser by following their links. Even if I am interested in a product, I will open a fresh Google (or other) page to find the manufacturer's home page and start from there.

I am perhaps bordering on the lunatic fringe in this behavior. In addition to web based ads, I have pretty much ceased to listen to commercial radio and/or watch commercial TV, all for the same reason. In the case of radio and TV, the ads are even once step worse - not only are they intrusive, but they are intellectually offensive as well. They play to the lowest common denominator and treat the audience as if they were idiots. I simply will not stand any longer for this constant assault upon my (limited) intellect, and have taken steps to deliberately tune it out wherever it is encountered.

Ditto for the ads here at M-F (and elsewhere). So far, this new form of ads isn't bad enough to force me away, but it is truly annoying. I will make it a point to never, ever click one of these things. That would be rather like clicking on a link in a spam email - it will only encourage more of the same.

PapaNoHair
05-18-2008, 06:01 PM
I will join this fray. I find these new ads atrocious, simply atrocious. Like many posters, I would gladly pay an annual fee for a completely ad free version of Mac Forums. These new ads are an enormous step in the wrong direction.

I make it a point of NEVER, EVER clicking through on any ad that appears on ANY site, and that includes Google searches (unless of course the sponsored link is the ONLY one that looks reasonable, and that rarely happens). I am nearly outraged by the insidious intrusion of advertising into every facet of modern life. I express that outrage by doing my absolute best to ignore it all, and will NEVER reward an advertiser by following their links. Even if I am interested in a product, I will open a fresh Google (or other) page to find the manufacturer's home page and start from there.

I am perhaps bordering on the lunatic fringe in this behavior. In addition to web based ads, I have pretty much ceased to listen to commercial radio and/or watch commercial TV, all for the same reason. In the case of radio and TV, the ads are even once step worse - not only are they intrusive, but they are intellectually offensive as well. They play to the lowest common denominator and treat the audience as if they were idiots. I simply will not stand any longer for this constant assault upon my (limited) intellect, and have taken steps to deliberately tune it out wherever it is encountered.

Ditto for the ads here at M-F (and elsewhere). So far, this new form of ads isn't bad enough to force me away, but it is truly annoying. I will make it a point to never, ever click one of these things. That would be rather like clicking on a link in a spam email - it will only encourage more of the same.

I get the distinct impression you don't like advertising. ;D

mac57
05-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Nooooo....... what gives you THAT idea??? :D :D

Actually, inspired by all the other posters, I have just found, downloaded and installed AdBlock 0.3.2 for Safari. So far, so good. No ads at all - I am liking this! :D

mac57
05-18-2008, 07:10 PM
I should soften my comments ...just a little. Some level of advertising is always appropriate for a place like M-F. These forums provide a service, and the provision of that service costs money. Servers, staff, maintenance... Advertising allows M-F to offset costs. I was actually OK with the ads along the top and sides of the threads. They annoyed me to be sure, but I recognized the unfortunate necessity of them. They did not IMPOSE themselves upon the reader and could be ignored if the reader chose.

To be completely honest, when I wanted additional memory for my new Mac Pro I started with Crucial, directly because of their ads here at M-F. In keeping with the above however, I went directly to Crucial's web site vs. clicking through!

The new intra-thread ads impose themselves. It is nearly impossible to ignore them as they are right there in the middle of the threads you wish to read and participate in. I think that this is why they are provoking such invective.

eliehass
05-19-2008, 12:46 AM
I should soften my comments ...just a little. Some level of advertising is always appropriate for a place like M-F. These forums provide a service, and the provision of that service costs money. Servers, staff, maintenance... Advertising allows M-F to offset costs. I was actually OK with the ads along the top and sides of the threads. They annoyed me to be sure, but I recognized the unfortunate necessity of them. They did not IMPOSE themselves upon the reader and could be ignored if the reader chose.

To be completely honest, when I wanted additional memory for my new Mac Pro I started with Crucial, directly because of their ads here at M-F. In keeping with the above however, I went directly to Crucial's web site vs. clicking through!

The new intra-thread ads impose themselves. It is nearly impossible to ignore them as they are right there in the middle of the threads you wish to read and participate in. I think that this is why they are provoking such invective.

I agree, the regular ads I can deal with, but ads in the MIDDLE of the forum? Thats too much! And like I said before, I very much enjoy this forum and would be willing to donate.

PowerBookG4
05-19-2008, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't mind the ads in the middle of the forum that much, if....

they were not the most random things ever. What if they actually had something to do with the thread, or even something to do with macs.

KiwiJenn
05-19-2008, 06:51 AM
The advert had confused me actually when I first saw them, I got a little frustrated wondering where all the replys were till I realised that the replys were after the advert.

It's quite good actually having the first post seprated from the replys, it kinda makes the first post stand out:)

But I find the ads annoying too.

If it was pay to remove adverts it would need to be worldwide and cheap lol since NZ$$ is more than US$ but again I wouldn't pay as I don't have the extra cash, since I live of a disability benefit.

I come to these Mac Fourms for help and advice and I have to say I get the answers and advice I need:) I like how I can access ALL forums too.

Mac O Licious
05-19-2008, 12:35 PM
They make me not want to continue with the thread because I think there is no more below. Peopl know that ads are annoying, why would you put them right in peoples face when we spend so much time trying to fight them off & avoid them?

Maybe it's just me, I would never put up a website or forum that forced ads on people, that is just me with years of experience on the internet, knowing how people feel about stuff like this. If I was looking for something to buy, I know where to go & I know how to find it, it is the internet.

schweb
05-19-2008, 02:31 PM
They make me not want to continue with the thread because I think there is no more below. Peopl know that ads are annoying, why would you put them right in peoples face when we spend so much time trying to fight them off & avoid them?

Maybe it's just me, I would never put up a website or forum that forced ads on people, that is just me with years of experience on the internet, knowing how people feel about stuff like this. If I was looking for something to buy, I know where to go & I know how to find it, it is the internet.

Thank you for your feedback.

Aptmunich
05-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Peopl know that ads are annoying, why would you put them right in peoples face when we spend so much time trying to fight them off & avoid them?
Bills don't pay themselves y'know...
We have 30.000 members. 100.000 posts, most threads are a few hundred KB to a few MB and judging by the first page of the switcher's forum, each thread is viewed about 60 times on average.

I think the traffic is enough to warrant a few ads. Plus bear in mind the technical support, running costs, forum software upgrades etc etc aren't free either.

If I was looking for something to buy, I know where to go & I know how to find it, it is the internet.

Advertising is there to tell you about new products, not things you already know about...
But your feedback will help sort out how to improve the ad system down the road, so thanks for that.

Mac O Licious
05-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Bills don't pay themselves y'know...
We have 30.000 members. 100.000 posts, most threads are a few hundred KB to a few MB and judging by the first page of the switcher's forum, each thread is viewed about 60 times on average.

I think the traffic is enough to warrant a few ads. Plus bear in mind the technical support, running costs, forum software upgrades etc etc aren't free either.

Advertising is there to tell you about new products, not things you already know about...
But your feedback will help sort out how to improve the ad system down the road, so thanks for that.

I can tell you now, the product being advertised, i don't want.

I have always known things like this cost when putting up a website, I paif for everything & never asked anyone with any help with anything but my gaming servers since we were a clan, it made it a team effort. I figure my idea should not have something that would make people not want to be around.

Anyway, they are there & it is not my site, I have a choice to stay or leave so in the meantime I choose to suffer. A little less than usual, but I am still here.

schweb
05-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I can tell you now, the product being advertised, i don't want.

I have always known things like this cost when putting up a website, I paif for everything & never asked anyone with any help with anything but my gaming servers since we were a clan, it made it a team effort. I figure my idea should not have something that would make people not want to be around.

Anyway, they are there & it is not my site, I have a choice to stay or leave so in the meantime I choose to suffer. A little less than usual, but I am still here.

For the record, there's a huge difference between hosting a personal site or even a small clan site, and hosting an active, CPU-intesive, forum with over 30,000 active members that needs to be hosted on a server farm.

Trust me, the cost difference in terms of servers is huge.

As I stated, we've heard your feedback.

mac0s9user
05-19-2008, 07:55 PM
30,000 until the ranks get cut :D

mudpuppy
05-19-2008, 08:15 PM
People. Just let it go. It's the cost of doing business. If it bothers you that much get Adblock plus or leave.

sanity1082
05-19-2008, 10:12 PM
People. Just let it go. It's the cost of doing business. If it bothers you that much get Adblock plus or leave.

agreed. i am not saying i am in love with the new ad format but it is a necessary evil.

mac57
05-19-2008, 11:45 PM
agreed. i am not saying i am in love with the new ad format but it is a necessary evil.

I have to disagree. No it isn't (a necessary evil, that is). Ads are a necessary evil. This form of ads are not. If they were, MF wouldn't be here now, as it has not previously sported this form of ads.

IMHO these ads are a bald faced attempt by the owners of this forum to monetize the value of the large subscriber base. Pure and simple.

eliehass
05-19-2008, 11:48 PM
I have to disagree. No it isn't (a necessary evil, that is). Ads are a necessary evil. This form of ads are not. If they were, MF wouldn't be here now, as it has not previously sported this form of ads.

IMHO these ads are a bald faced attempt by the owners of this forum to monetize the value of the large subscriber base. Pure and simple.

I think thats a tad extreme... I don't like the ads, but I don't think the owners are trying to EXPLOIT us. We can just hope that our voices will be heard and the ads will be pulled.

Mac O Licious
05-20-2008, 12:17 AM

I like you! :D

lol

Aptmunich
05-20-2008, 02:42 AM
to disagree. No it isn't (a necessary evil, that is). Ads are a necessary evil. This form of ads are not. If they were, MF wouldn't be here now, as it has not previously sported this form of ads.

We've grown by a huge amount in the last 2 years, but the number of ads hasn't.

You can draw your own conclusions, but whilst iNet isn't a charity, they have treated us fairly in the past so why don't we see what the redesign and your feedback brings us?

schweb
05-20-2008, 07:02 AM

No forum can last the long haul, especially one as large as Mac-Forums, without generating enough revenue. Looking at what alot of sites look like out there, Mac-Forums is rather tame when it comes to advertisement, even with the addition of this new format. Money is needed to keep the system running and pay for enhancements in the future.

The site is also much bigger than it was 2 years ago and costs much more money to maintain and host.

Unfortunately, this new ad format is something we're trying, so yes, it's a necessary evil at the moment if you choose to participate here. If it's successful, it stays, if not, then it won't. Simple as that.

I will point out that while there are a few of you that continue to go on and on in this thread as if it's the end of the world (which BTW isn't that different then the reaction we got when we added the original banner ads and we've grown almost 300% since then), we have almost 30,000 active users who have gotten over it and are continuing to enjoy their Mac-Forums experience.

For those of you who continue to post and post on this topic, we've heard your feedback and we understand your concern. But there are also other points of view, and many other members who think what they think. We will never make everyone happy, but our goal is to provide a place where the most people can feel comfortable.

We understand that at times we may make decisions or changes that a few people can't deal with, and that's just the way life works. But every thing we do here is in some way, shape, or form for the betterment of the community we are building...yes, even this ad test.

But mac57, I have to say on a personal note I'm extremely dissapointed in your attitude in this post. As someone who was MoTM at one point, I would hope you'd know better than to think any of us have an exploitative view of this community. We work hard every day to improve and maintain the type of environment that people have grown to love and feel comfortable joining.

mudpuppy
05-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Well put SCHWEB
I come here to gather some nuggets of knowledge and to help if I can. The ads are nothing more than fringe distractions and can be tuned out if you can focus on what you are looking for. If the ads bother you that much maybe you should stop complaining and learn to focus more.

Noels
05-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Well put, mudpuppy on your "Well put SCHWEB" message.

I second your expression of "support" for the ads. Even if they are somewhat distracting, a little more focus on the topic at hand makes them almost disappear. Besides, maybe once in a while they'll bear fruit!

eric
05-20-2008, 11:09 AM
i was one of the first to speak up on this, and after seeing the implementation, i do find it mildly annoying, but not unbearable.

as someone earlier stated, the main issue, is that they just seem to be horriby random at best, ill-chosen at worst - not that schweb and friends have any say over the actual ads that appear, it's just a comment.

and agreed with Noels and mudpuppy, schweb - i actually already repped you for it, but i figured i'd say something constructive about the implementation so far.

schweb
05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
as someone earlier stated, the main issue, is that they just seem to be horriby random at best, ill-chosen at worst - not that schweb and friends have any say over the actual ads that appear, it's just a comment.

Actually we do have some pull. The main issue is that it's a new ad format and space and will take time to sell it to relevant advertisers. There are some already, but we need more.

It's not much different than the early times with the banner ads. It took awhile before we had relevant ads there also. It will just take some time.

eric
05-20-2008, 11:24 AM
i see.

well, that's good news.

mac57
05-20-2008, 11:54 AM
But mac57, I have to say on a personal note I'm extremely dissapointed in your attitude in this post. As someone who was MoTM at one point, I would hope you'd know better than to think any of us have an exploitative view of this community. We work hard every day to improve and maintain the type of environment that people have grown to love and feel comfortable joining.

Let me clarify schweb. I am not accusing you or ANY member of the moderator staff of being exploitive... in fact I am not even accusing the owners of this forum of being exploitive. They are being business people. I live and work daily in the world of profit and loss. I know what the commercial pressures are to make money. MF has a large and unique visitor base and I can fully understand the pressure to monetize that value. That is what I think these ads are an attempt to do. I see this as being commercially driven, but if I have left the impression that I think iNet is trying to exploit us, then I have not been clear enough. MF is not a charity, I agree, but a non profit (but non loss) business model would be really nice!

As I mentioned early on, I am nearly rabid in my distaste for ads and so I find this new form of ads especially offensive personally. I do however take the point of many of the above posters. I am a single member of a 30,000 member forum and I have expressed my opinion - perhaps too clearly. I will cease and desist at this point.

I do want to close my participation in this thread however by re-emphasizing that I am not casting aspersions on ANY member of the moderator staff here. I don't want this to sound like brown nosing because I am just not that type, but I think that you are all doing an excellent job despite its frequently thankless nature.

schweb
05-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Let me clarify schweb. I am not accusing you or ANY member of the moderator staff of being exploitive... in fact I am not even accusing the owners of this forum of being exploitive.

Thanks mac57, I appreciate the clarification. :)

MF is not a charity, I agree, but a non profit (but non loss) business model would be really nice!

Unfortunately, Mac-Forums isn't a non-profit venture. However what I can say is that advertising is only a piece of how we plan to look at revenue generation. There are many things in the works and many exciting new features planned for this site.

I think the challenge with advertising is that for it to work it constantly needs to be changing and presented differently. It's just the nature of the beast. For example, look at TV...commercials don't work as well so companies are starting to do in-show placement.

The most insidious new form of advertising to me however are these new "word of mouth" outfits. Basically companies pay people to act like normal people and just happen to strike up a conversation about a product. That's probably the one that bothers me the most.

fearlessfreap24
05-26-2008, 10:47 AM
kind of. i will poke my nose in here every now and then. i can not stand seeing the ads after the first post on threads. it totally turns me off. this was a nice forum, and then all the ads started coming in. it has now gone over board.

Dylan

eric
05-26-2008, 10:49 AM
wow... that seems extreme.

really will be sorry to see you go, i'm sure others will too. :(

iRye
05-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Bye, fearless. We'll miss your posts, for sure.

PinkLemonade
05-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Gotta admit, that ad you see after the first post is very annoying, but it's not something you should leave over.

Oh well, see you around.

05GT
05-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow... I know that ads are annoying, but I don't think they're that bad here. I'm on other forums that are way worse than this.

PinkLemonade
05-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I think the paid membership option is a good idea. MacRumors has a $25 per year membership in which all ads are removed, you get access to a private forum and a special forum title. Now, you don't have to do the last two, but removing all the ads for a fee would be nice. I couldn't do it (not yet, anyway) but as I've read through this thread, it appears thare are many members who are willing to do so.

JohnTheMacGeek
05-26-2008, 12:17 PM
kind of. i will poke my nose in here every now and then. i can not stand seeing the ads after the first post on threads. it totally turns me off. this was a nice forum, and then all the ads started coming in. it has now gone over board.

Dylan
What ads? I have AdBlock running on both Firefox and Safari. I see no ads on this forum!

PapaNoHair
05-26-2008, 01:24 PM
There is no need to see ads! I do not see any. I use Safari (primarily) and have added AdBlock. Better to solve the problem then run from it.

louishen
05-26-2008, 01:33 PM
sorry to see you go, but if it is that bas and you have leopard, then asblock to the rescue

EGGO
05-26-2008, 01:56 PM
...what ads?

Kash
05-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Who's fearless? And what are these ads he speaks of? ;D

fleurya
05-26-2008, 02:39 PM
ads???????

Lifeisabeach
05-26-2008, 02:44 PM

Huh? They have ads here? *shrug* Never seen a single one myself.

nukemm
05-26-2008, 02:52 PM
the ads after the first post made me think that was the end of the page...

borovy3488
05-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Adblock is definitely the way to go. I had no idea there were ads here.

eric
05-26-2008, 03:17 PM
i think i need master of the obvious block...

baggss
05-26-2008, 03:23 PM

Dylan

Ya know, I originally agreed with you. As a last ditch effort I tried Ad-Block for Safari and I have been impressed. Not only did it get rid of the annoying ones but it got rid of ALL of them, on all of the sites I visit. Unlike the FF Ad-Block, there is no set up,it just blocks all the ads. Give it a shot, it might just change your mind.

MinaMACMan
05-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Wow... I didn't think that people were that annoyed by the new format that much.

Yeah, I agree with most Ads in general are annoying. Also this format caught me off guard the first time around I thought there was no replys to the first post. BUT, after a while I got in the habit of completely tuning them out... Probably the Mods & owners of the forum wouldn't like to hear the part of the Ads, that are supposed to generate income to the MF Venture being tuned out but its the case.

On the other side I perfectly understand the need of the Ads on the pages, MF needs to make its revenue to sustain the Livelihood of the Forums, I would rather have those ads than paying for the membership.

On the other hand this is a whole of a lot better that some forums having pop ads that just clutter ur screen with a Million pop ups everytime you click on a different thread.

All in all, I really don't mind them, yes they are annoying but, they can be easily tuned out and simply ignored all together.

Just my 2 cents :D

dakineyj
05-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Wow, I've been around this forum for over a year now and I have never seen this ad-block mentioned before. This is great, just installed it and no more adds!! Glad I didn't leave the forum, heh heh.

Tanner31593
05-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Leaving, over a tiny ad?
Does it really cause THAT much drama?
It's not even that bad for me, and i'm on dial up!

The forum's gotta do what the forum's gotta do to make sure M-F remains the great (and free) site it is.
I don't think it's that bad.
This forum in general is pretty reasonable as far as ads. I would say that out of all the forums i'm a member of, this one loads the fastest.
It's not all fancy glittery backgrounds and annoying pop-ups and animated mumbo jumbo.

I like it.

Hate to see someone leave!

does this AdBlock only work for Leopard anyone?

dtravis7
05-26-2008, 07:35 PM
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27897

Works on Tiger, Panther, Leopard.

I do not use it here as I want to support the forums, but it does work and blocks all ads if they really bother you.

Mac O Licious
05-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I feel ya bro. I just come less than usual. Then i guess it becomes tolerable.

Tanner31593
05-26-2008, 08:09 PM
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27897

Works on Tiger, Panther, Leopard.

I do not use it here as I want to support the forums, but it does work and blocks all ads if they really bother you.

Maybe i'll download that eventually. Not really for M-F, but for some other sites.
I don't think the ads are bad here. I like how they're often mac related.

I like the Wenger Media ones even though they like never change.
If my dad decides to upgrade my brothers Macs, i'd go straight to that Wenger Media ad at the top. That's not a bad price for eMacs, is it?

eric
05-26-2008, 08:18 PM
yeah, i kind of like the wenger ones too.

anyone ever use them?

JohnTheMacGeek
05-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Wow, I've been around this forum for over a year now and I have never seen this ad-block mentioned before. This is great, just installed it and no more adds!! Glad I didn't leave the forum, heh heh.If you have a Gmail account, go to gmail.com and see how different it looks without the ads! Amazing!

thedood
05-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I've never seen ad's here either?

MinaMACMan
05-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Its a bit too extreme don't you think... actually I think extreme is understatement.

But whaterver floats your boat!

Since when Ignoring something became so hard. its been so easy to just tune out those Ads that I don't feel any annoyance from them...

heh, I guess thats just me. Oh well.

Sorry to see ya go, but hope u change ur mind.

Cheers

Mina

mudpuppy
05-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Addblock Plus and NoScripts. Kills all ads and background java scripts related to ads. Pages load faster.

iRye
05-26-2008, 10:18 PM
I just use Adblock. it's so nice. install it and come back? it's free!

fyrman22
05-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Awesome!! Good heads up on the adblock. Works like a charm and no setup just install and no more ads.

PinkLemonade
05-26-2008, 11:25 PM
yeah, i kind of like the wenger ones too.

anyone ever use them?

LowEndMac recommends them, so I'd say they're pretty legit.

dtravis7
05-26-2008, 11:43 PM
LowEndMac recommends them, so I'd say they're pretty legit.

Cool then. I have a lot of respect for Low End Mac.

coach_z
05-26-2008, 11:58 PM
websites thrive on ads, it is how they remain free of charge in the internet world...you shouldnt block them entirely....but they also should not be intrusive. i have never been a fan of the 'ad after the first post ad' and have stayed away from forums that use it. it stinks that as finally have time to devote some parts of my life back to M-F they put these ads up....oh well, ill still browse every so often
-chris

seroph
05-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Hello everyone,

I understand that there are certain requirements to running a community forum, however I simply don't like to see things like this, when browsing a community forum.

No offense, but these sort of ads make me feel uncomfortable.

Discuss

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1354/notgoodwc4.jpg

Eric559
05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I understand that there are certain requirements to running a community forum, however I simply don't like to see things like this, when browsing a community forum.

No offense, but these sort of ads make me feel uncomfortable.

Discuss

<Image>

I don't see why you had to start a completely new thread about this. Go post your thoughts in the thread that is already going. Discuss there.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106942

milessthomas
05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I'd have to agree. The new ads are really getting annoying and everyone shouldn't have to install adblock just because of this, since adblock blocks some things that aren't ads, or it had been doing so before I got rid of it.

milessthomas
05-28-2008, 07:10 PM
If you have a Gmail account, go to gmail.com and see how different it looks without the ads! Amazing!

I don't have any ads on gmail, with or without adblock?

Do other people have them?

Mac O Licious
05-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I guess I would say complaining does not help any since just being opposed to it gets people negging your rep or sending messages saying you have been reduced on some point system I care nothing about.

I've learned to ignore it & just find another forum with more support & less ads.

seroph
05-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Eric, becuase that post you linked to is a forum announcement, it seems unbecoming to post this sort of topic there.

Eric559
05-28-2008, 07:18 PM
It's 7 pages of DISCUSSION about the new adverts. The same discussion that you are asking for with this unnecessary thread. Just saying you are morel likely to get discussions in a thread that is already going.

seroph
05-28-2008, 07:26 PM
No need to get touchy, it's an announcement, if it's turned into a discussion then it's gone off topic, Eric.

baggss
05-28-2008, 07:32 PM
No need to get touchy, it's an announcement, if it's turned into a discussion then it's gone off topic, Eric.

No, it's not off topic. If it was, the staff would have either not allowed comment, closed the thread or moved it. Since they did none of those things then it is a perfectly acceptable place to do it.

I've learned to ignore it & just find another forum with more support & less ads.

Good for you!

baggss
05-28-2008, 07:34 PM
websites thrive on ads, it is how they remain free of charge in the internet world...you shouldnt block them entirely....but they also should not be intrusive. i have never been a fan of the 'ad after the first post ad' and have stayed away from forums that use it. it stinks that as finally have time to devote some parts of my life back to M-F they put these ads up....oh well, ill still browse every so often
-chris

The top and side ads were acceptable, but the new ones, well, not so much.

iLindzo
05-28-2008, 07:43 PM
I knew I loved this place! AdBlock is awesome!!

Don't leave!! Just get AdBlock!

schweb
05-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Eric, becuase that post you linked to is a forum announcement, it seems unbecoming to post this sort of topic there.

Merged with the original thread, no need to start a completely new thread on the same topic.

As for the ad, it's about helping people, I'm sorry if it's offensive to you.

schweb
05-28-2008, 07:49 PM

Dylan

Merged with the Ads thread to keep things together.

bryphotoguy
05-28-2008, 09:17 PM
I forgot I installed AdBlock or whatever it is called. I don't find them to be too intrusive. I don't see all of the drama.
It's a way to generate some money to pay costs to keep this very helpful site up and running. It's not like there is an ad under the first reply of every page or under every fifth reply.
I do run into the occasional accidental finger tap on the iPhone and it opens an ad but it keeps the server on for a few extra days, I won't cry.
As schweb mentioned, this is only a trial. If only other admins of other forums were so responsive to feedback....

baggss
05-28-2008, 09:46 PM
I forgot I installed AdBlock or whatever it is called. I don't find them to be too intrusive. I don't see all of the drama.
It's a way to generate some money to pay costs to keep this very helpful site up and running. It's not like there is an ad under the first reply of every page or under every fifth reply.
I do run into the occasional accidental finger tap on the iPhone and it opens an ad but it keeps the server on for a few extra days, I won't cry.
As schweb mentioned, this is only a trial. If only other admins of other forums were so responsive to feedback....

While it is done to generate revenue, if people leave because of them or install ad-block to avoid them it seems to be someone pointless. IIRC schweb made a plea for us all to give them a click to help the forums but it seems that most of us are not seeing them anyhow. Is the additional revenue worth the drama?

bryphotoguy
05-28-2008, 09:58 PM
While it is done to generate revenue, if people leave because of them or install ad-block to avoid them it seems to be someone pointless.

That's a good point. A handful of people did leave. I would suspect more people have joined than left M-F since the ad campaign started. It's also good that this is only a trial for the reason you state. If the ads don't generate revenue or actually lose revenue because of the fuss and apps like adblock, the additional ads would seem pointless.

Is the additional revenue worth the drama?

What is M-F without a little drama Baggss? :D

schweb
05-28-2008, 10:21 PM
While it is done to generate revenue, if people leave because of them or install ad-block to avoid them it seems to be someone pointless. IIRC schweb made a plea for us all to give them a click to help the forums but it seems that most of us are not seeing them anyhow. Is the additional revenue worth the drama?

We have 30,000 active members and we're still growing at the same pace of new members as before the ads. Only a small minority have complained and only a handful of people have left or gone on hiatus.

To be honest, the reaction to this is less than we had when we first added the banner ads on the side and top. And since that point we've grown over 300%.

We need to give the ads time to determine if they're effective. In my opinion, I have seen nothing yet to demonstrate to me that their presence is having a material negative effect here. Some people may be upset and leave over it, but no matter what we do here there is always someone upset by it.

Heck I could give away free money and someone will complain. :)

schweb
05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
If the ads don't generate revenue or actually lose revenue because of the fuss and apps like adblock, the additional ads would seem pointless.

The ads won't lose revenue from people installing ad block. I can basically guarantee you that those people installing ad block are probably the least likely to click on the ads in the first place.

We also know from stats that the huge majority of ad clicks comes from people who are not logged in.

bryphotoguy
05-28-2008, 10:29 PM
We also know from stats that the huge majority of ad clicks comes from people who are not logged in.
Cool to know, thanks for sharing.

WakeCarver
05-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Heck I could give away free money and someone will complain. :)

I wouldn't complain! Please give me some free money!;D

bryphotoguy
05-28-2008, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't complain! Please give me some free money!;D

He didn't say what kind of free money. What if it is free money to his favorite store, Build-a-Bear? :P

Kash
05-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Same here. Though if you like complaints, then I will kindly oblige to get the cash ;D

Noels
05-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Hey all, where does the line start? In U.S. dollars please (or gas coupons) :)

eric
06-01-2008, 10:51 AM
people will always find a reason to leave.

more people will likely have enough reasons to stay.

schweb
06-01-2008, 01:03 PM
people will always find a reason to leave.

more people will likely have enough reasons to stay.

That's true. While a handful have left, we've actually grown by almost 1000 new members since the ads were put in place.

PinkLemonade
06-03-2008, 02:25 AM
schweb, I understand that ads are needed to keep this site free for everyone, but couldn't you switch to a different ad system? Nearly everyone has expressed their distaste for the current system. Why not place that ad between the last post and the "quick reply" box? It would almost certainly be more acceptable then the ad right below the first post.

WakeCarver
06-05-2008, 01:41 AM
schweb, I understand that ads are needed to keep this site free for everyone, but couldn't you switch to a different ad system? Nearly everyone has expressed their distaste for the current system. Why not place that ad between the last post and the "quick reply" box? It would almost certainly be more acceptable then the ad right below the first post.

I think this is an excellent suggestion.

Aptmunich
06-05-2008, 02:42 AM
I think this is an excellent suggestion.
We'll be sure to pass that along as part of our initial feedback.

However I'm sure almost just as many members would say that they much prefer it at the top and start complaining if it was moved around ;)

But thanks for the constructive input!!

InsolentMuse
06-06-2008, 01:29 AM
The ads won't lose revenue from people installing ad block. I can basically guarantee you that those people installing ad block are probably the least likely to click on the ads in the first place.

I am not sure if you are using one of the vB hacks or if you built your own, but I have the same ad layout and I have it set up to only show ads to guests.

mac0s9user
06-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Hmm, you might be onto something. These new ads have to pay for these coming features somehow. O:)

Any update on possible new features? It's been two weeks

schweb
06-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Any update on possible new features? It's been two weeks

No...

iWhat
06-07-2008, 01:00 AM
I never promised a set date. ;)

mac0s9user
06-07-2008, 01:11 AM
I was just hoping for a status update not so much details :) is it in the works?

schweb
06-07-2008, 09:17 AM
I was just hoping for a status update not so much details :) is it in the works?

If it wasn't in the works, we wouldn't have mentioned it. ;)

But like most things there will some things developed sooner, some later. There is definitely a product roadmap for MF.

cuhnool
06-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Paid memberships probably would not do much, I mean usually people just join this site to ask a question then leave. There may be several people who would like to have it, but then what's really the purpose but for a handful of people?

schweb
06-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Paid memberships probably would not do much, I mean usually people just join this site to ask a question then leave. There may be several people who would like to have it, but then what's really the purpose but for a handful of people?

You might be surprised. ;)

cuhnool
06-18-2008, 02:26 AM
You might be surprised. ;)

count me in ;D

Noels
06-27-2008, 10:32 AM
I must have missed something - what happened to the ads?

I don't have AdBlock and they're gone on my computer...

iWhat
06-27-2008, 11:05 AM
The staff wasn't informed, if indeed the ads will be removed. So we can't confirm it. But this morning, I did notice that some posts appear to have the ads embedded inside random posts. It's currently being looked into.

Noels
06-27-2008, 11:12 AM
The staff wasn't informed, if indeed the ads will be removed. So we can't confirm it. But this morning, I did notice that some posts appear to have the ads embedded inside random posts. It's currently being looked into.

iWhat, Thanks! Noel

iWhat
06-27-2008, 03:06 PM
The forum has a new ad format now. The in-line ads are now going to be displayed in the first and third posts of threads that are over 2 weeks old. When a thread is replied to that has been inactive for over 2 weeks, it will no longer display the in-line ads until the thread goes inactive for 2 weeks. Stickies will not include in-line ads.

bryphotoguy
06-27-2008, 03:52 PM
^^ Excellent compromise.

Arthur_the_Mac
06-27-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't get why this site would need to pay for any thing people really don't care about how good the forum is I just care about what kind of information I get and learn from the Forum

Aptmunich
06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't get why this site would need to pay for any thing people really don't care about how good the forum is I just care about what kind of information I get and learn from the Forum
Bandwidth ain't free you know!

especially when you have 30000 active members and tons more people who just browse...

cuhnool
07-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Bandwidth ain't free you know!

especially when you have 30000 active members and tons more people who just browse...

It costs money to just have a website up on the www too, right?

eric
07-13-2008, 02:16 PM
what's up with the new inline ads?

i'm seeing them pop up inside of people's posts now, on more than just page one too.

see the attached example - red outline mine for emphasis around ads, notice they are inside posts one and three on the second page of a thread.

skaheadpunk
07-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I got that nice FireFox thingy that gets rid of them for me :) Makes me happy :D

Aptmunich
07-13-2008, 03:06 PM
what's up with the new inline ads?

i'm seeing them pop up inside of people's posts now, on more than just page one too.

see the attached example - red outline mine for emphasis around ads, notice they are inside posts one and three on the second page of a thread.
Any thread older than 2 weeks will now have that style of ad, instead of the previous ad that just below the first post of every thread.

bryphotoguy
07-13-2008, 03:19 PM
that style of ad
You mean to say the ad is suppose to imbed itself into the reply and not below it?

eric
07-13-2008, 03:30 PM
is that a running two weeks, or just a marker?

what i mean is, does it only apply to threads started before the 1st of July or does it mean that even threads started today will eventually become filled with ads?

iWhat
07-13-2008, 03:35 PM
You mean to say the ad is suppose to imbed itself into the reply and not below it?

Right.

is that a running two weeks, or just a marker?

what i mean is, does it only apply to threads started before the 1st of July or does it mean that even threads started today will eventually become filled with ads?

Apt. meant as in a 2 week duration, but not a specific date as in the 1st of July. So all threads won't have the imbedded ads.

eric
07-13-2008, 03:56 PM
so once any thread has aged past two weeks, ads could show up willie nillie inside any post in the thread?

iWhat
07-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Right, but stickies are excluded.

eric
07-13-2008, 04:15 PM
well, i do have to say, this newer version of the new ad thing is considerably more annoying than the original single inline ad.

Waterpolo820
07-24-2008, 06:25 PM
well, i do have to say, this newer version of the new ad thing is considerably more annoying than the original single inline ad.

I totally agree. The old ad style I was fine with, but this is just annoying/ irritating/ everything else bad!! I think it should go back to how it was before. Some people were still getting use to that..

I don't know about others here, but this new style of ad-format, being embedded in the posts is going to drive me to getting an ad-blocker, where as the last one wouldn't have. Which would lead to less ad-clicking...

So what ever happened to the pay option that we could do to help out M-F and get the add free pages?? To those who pay of course..

schweb
07-24-2008, 07:00 PM
So what ever happened to the pay option that we could do to help out M-F and get the add free pages?? To those who pay of course..

It's still on the table, but there's no guarantee that it will happen.