Re-installing windows xp on boot camp partiton

Reaction score
I Already have windows xp installed on my boot camp partition.I wish to reinstall my windows xp and I was wondering whether I do this on the mac side or the windows side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The Windows side. All Boot Camp on the Mac side does is create the new partitioning and give you a way to control which OS gets booted into by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If you don't want to change the partition size or anything, just put in the Windows CD and boot from it. When the install screen comes up like the first time you installed, just choose to format the partition Windows is currently on and reinstall it there.

Reaction score
Os 10.4.11

Does this work even if my Boot Camp expired (OS 10.4.11)? I want to downgrade to Windows XP from Vista.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does this work even if my Boot Camp expired (OS 10.4.11)? I want to downgrade to Windows XP from Vista.

It should, because the Boot Camp Assistant is not used during this process. You're just going to nuke the existing Windows install by formatting the Windows partition during the XP installation process.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, just a few additional tips:

How exactly would I start the Windows XP Installation process? Do I boot into Windows Vista first?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Put the install CD in the drive and restart your computer. When it begins to restart, hold down the C button and the system will boot from the CD. From there it should take you into the install process. The other way is to hold the option key which will give you options to boot from, which would likely be your MacHD and the install CD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.