Dual G4 to Single G5

• Thread starter goodolebwinches
  • Start date
G

goodolebwinches

I'm sure a lot of you out there are enticed to purchase a G5, but should we? I upgraded my Dual 450mhz G4 running OS 9.2(bought off Ebay) to a Dual 1ghz G4/1GB RAM/8500 Radeon/OS 10.2 months ago. I've never owned a new/retail Mac. I am considering getting the "base model"(single 1.6ghz) G5 as my first true retail-purchased Mac. Should I though? I haven't been able to find any benchmarks for the single G5s vs. Dual G4s. I'm sure the G5 would be faster in system bus speed, but would it be a "worth the money" faster? I do amateur video editing. Should I hold off for a year? Any comments are welcome.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

goodolebwinches said:
I'm sure a lot of you out there are enticed to purchase a G5, but should we? I upgraded my Dual 450mhz G4 running OS 9.2(bought off Ebay) to a Dual 1ghz G4/1GB RAM/8500 Radeon/OS 10.2 months ago. I've never owned a new/retail Mac. I am considering getting the "base model"(single 1.6ghz) G5 as my first true retail-purchased Mac. Should I though? I haven't been able to find any benchmarks for the single G5s vs. Dual G4s. I'm sure the G5 would be faster in system bus speed, but would it be a "worth the money" faster? I do amateur video editing. Should I hold off for a year? Any comments are welcome.

If you do a lot of video editing, I would stick with the Dual G4 system. From what I can tell, iMovie2 utilizes the capabilities of dual processors. I also have the feeling that amateur video editing programs won't be restructured for use with 64 bit processors for a few months. I guess then the only advantage is a faster system bus and faster processor. But then, if I had the money, I'd buy a G5 anyway. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
From my understanding, the G5 isn't much better than the G4 EXCEPT in dual processor format. So buying a single processor G5 really won't do too much for you compared to what you have now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i think it depends on how well panther (a 64 bit OS) works on the 32 bit G4 compared to the 64 bit G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Panther's not a 64 bit OS. It's only a 32-bit with 64 bit support.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It looks like Panther the first version will be 32 bit, must likely the next version say 10.3.1 or 10.3.2 will be 64 bit enabled. I think the next version will include the 64 bit binaries. The problem is will the application be compiled to run and take advance for the 64 bit processor.

OP
G

goodolebwinches

JazzTrpt said:
If you do a lot of video editing, I would stick with the Dual G4 system. From what I can tell, iMovie2 utilizes the capabilities of dual processors. I also have the feeling that amateur video editing programs won't be restructured for use with 64 bit processors for a few months. I guess then the only advantage is a faster system bus and faster processor. But then, if I had the money, I'd buy a G5 anyway. :D
Thanks for the comments. I'll just hold off until Apple's next line-up comes along. Maybe they'll all be Dual G5s by this time next year.....or maybe they'll be a G5 laptop by then.

OP
C

Chamorro

goodolebwinches said:
Thanks for the comments. I'll just hold off until Apple's next line-up comes along. Maybe they'll all be Dual G5s by this time next year.....or maybe they'll be a G5 laptop by then.

Good move...the base G5 isn't worth getting IMHO. It's got too much "old" technology compared to the higher-level G5's, which aren't too much more $.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.