School Windows Requirments Met by MBP?

Reaction score
Hello i need a little advice from someone that knows much more about macs than me. ive used windows comps all my life, but i am looking to switch to a mac for my college laptop. So im looking at buying a new laptop this week, but realized that the college program im going to be entering has certain requirements. Here they are:

The minimum computer specifications are as follows:

* Windows XP Professional operating system (XP Home is not adequate)
o Please note that we recommend students postpone adopting Windows Vista. Some compatibility issues with specialized engineering software and data acquisition hardware have not yet been resolved with the Vista operating system.
* 1.6 GHz CPU or higher (Pentium M, Core Solo, Core Duo or equivalent)
* 1.0 GB RAM (2.0 GB RAM recommended)
* 32 MB graphics RAM with dedicated graphics processor, minimum
o We use the Pro/Engineer graphics software in EML2023. This is a graphics intensive application. Integrated Graphics with shared memory is not recommended.
o Display resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher.
* 60 GB hard disk drive, minimum
* 10/100 MB/sec ethernet
* Wireless Networking (Wi-Fi Certified IEEE 802.11 b or g)
* CD-ROM Drive (DVD-RW recommended)
* USB port
* 3-button mouse (mice with scroll wheels that can be pressed will typically work)

Will the mbp be able to run xp pro and all the programs listed quickly and smoothly?

As far as i can tell those requirements will all be met by a mbp, just wanted to confirm this with someone that knows a little more about them than i do.

Thanks for your help

Jake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Oh yea it will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
... We use the Pro/Engineer graphics software in EML2023. This is a graphics intensive application. Integrated Graphics with shared memory is not recommended....

(I'm guessing EML2023 is a course number.) If you do take that course, you may need to run Windows in Boot Camp to get full use of the graphics card. But a MacBook Pro certainly meets the requirements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.