Partition question

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the Mac word and so are I am loving it! I do have a few windows PC based programs I still want to use. I just purchased a new macbook pro and want to install vista along with my PC programs but when I read the instruction manual of Boot Camp it says to only partition 32 gigs. Is there anyway to partition more of the HD then just 32 gigs? I would like at least 64 but the manual says anything past 32 and it can't save something right? Again I am not a tech type person so any advise would help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
How about you fire up the Boot Camp Assistant and take a look at what it offers. You'll find your answer pretty quickly ;P

OP
F
Reaction score
How about you fire up the Boot Camp Assistant and take a look at what it offers. You'll find your answer pretty quickly ;P

How about you re-read what I just said. I did and yes it offers whatever partition I want but my question is regarding what the instruction manual says when I printed it out about Boot Camp. It says that past 32 gigs it can't do something and was wondering if it was a big deal. I'm no computer expert.  didn't know Mac users were smartasses.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The 32GB you are reading about is a limit of XP's formatter if you make the partition FAT32. That is what the 32GB part is. The thing is if you want to read and write to the Windows partition out of the box from OSX, FAT32 is the easiest way. You can format NTFS and make a larger partition for your Windows but if you want to write to that from OSX you will need Paragon that makes OSX write to an NTFS Partition.

OP
F
Reaction score
The 32GB you are reading about is a limit of XP's formatter if you make the partition FAT32. That is what the 32GB part is. The thing is if you want to read and write to the Windows partition out of the box from OSX, FAT32 is the easiest way. You can format NTFS and make a larger partition for your Windows but if you want to write to that from OSX you will need Paragon that makes OSX write to an NTFS Partition.

THank you dtravis. That is what I wanted to know. I'm not planning on writing anything from OSX to the windows partition so for what I'm doing its ok to just make the partition larger than 32 gig.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Opps, I said XP instead of Vista but it's the same info! :D

Good luck with your install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.