• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

An idea for apple concerning their keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
We all know the Alu keyboard. Thin, hard and pretty good. And now here is a picture of a totally different keyboard. Non apple though.

http://www.hal-pc.org/journal/2006/06_aug/images/0806-Keyboard-Graphic.jpg

A rubber/flexible keyboard. And my friend as something similar for her pc. And it's silent to type with.

And I was thinking if apple did a similar thing and made it like a mat as in the keyboard in the picture. But instead of keys, there'd just be a keyboard layout printed on the flat thin mat. And pressure sensitive electronics inside the keyboard so if you pushed into the mat at the right spot it's register this as a keystroke.

I think this would help apple make their products thiner, weight less (which I don't care about so much but apple seem to) and be much more portable.

What do you all think?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i've seen those, and it's a nice option for the right environment. the thing it would miss if it were too flat would be tactile feedback. it just wouldn't feel like you were typing, or you may not register a wrong hit like you can on a keyboard with raised keys.

i've seen some laser/holographic nonsense that gets projected on the surface of a desk and registers where your fingers are when they hit the surface, so essentially there is no physical keyboard, so, yeah, they can get real thin and light (read: nonexistant), but at what cost ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
The holographic ones have come a long way. But you are not likely to see the good ones commercially. The rubber ones are good in a pinch if you are traveling, (lap top use, for example), but they do lack the tactile feel of a desktop keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
This thread needs more IBM Model M.

IBM-Model-M-Keyboard.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Man... talk about going down memory lane... ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Those rubber keyboards are kind of stupid, to be honest. A guy at my work got a gift of one of those from Yahoo last year. It is bright purple. Frankly, it is ugly, hard to type with, and really doesn't roll up to anything very small.

And how would this fit into the market? iMacs are not portable, so people will not trade comfort for a lighter keyboard. The new thin keyboards are really cool looking, but they sacrifice next to nothing in terms of weight and typing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think the current wireless keyboard is fairly portable as is. I just wish they made one e with a number pad. Those rubber ones look horrible to type on. It doesn't seem like you would get much or any tactile feedback, which is my only problem with laptop keyboards. Looks great for dirty/dusty environments though.

Man... talk about going down memory lane... ;-)

What do you mean, memory lane? At my last job, we still had those in our server room!! :eek: If nothing else, they were built to last.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This thread needs more IBM Model M.

IBM-Model-M-Keyboard.jpg

I own 2 of those Derek.

CWA, it's a REAL keyboard for sure! Makes enough noise when typing to raise the dead, but they are great!! :D

And yes Tech, I have a couple of those Apple Extended 2's and they are excellent also. I even have a ADB to USB adapter so I can use them on my newer macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
The IBM Model M is the greatest keyboard ever made.

I still have one that was manufactured in 1986 hooked up to my PC setup. Just as good as the day it was made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Oddly enough, I don't like them. I prefer Sun keyboards, which well.. the apple boards remind me of at least a bit.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
pppfffft! where's your PF13 through PF24 keys?

attachment.php

[taken at work a minute ago ;)]

kb.JPG

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i've got about 7 within 50 feet of me. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
What no color??

kb-rain-reg.jpg

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i think there's more colors on that keyboard then on the console that the keyboard i posted is connected to can display...

(too convoluted?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
lol. I was trying to find the old peach and green ones when
i found this. 8 bit color ?
:p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.