• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

U.S vs U.K Apple Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig
just wondering if there isn't any real reason to buy a mac of the U.S apple refurb store? by the way i live in england , :) why shouldn't i just ask my cousin to bring one over when they next come?
i would save around £300 !!!! thanks..
p.s.
if people do this what is the point of the U.K apple store ??
(are there any members in this forum who are from the uk?..)
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The only thing I can think of is duty at the airport ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I would have to agree about the duty at the airport. But honestly, I don't see how they can properly police it once an item like a laptop comes out of its box. There's a UK Apple Store because not everyone has friends coming to the States and willing to try to put one over on customs.

There's a lot of UK members here, and the price difference is a hot topic. I wish someone would find out once and for all the cause of the price differences. If there's a lot of complaints and a justifiable reason, there has to be a way of finding out.

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
I'm a UK member and wish I'd had the mac bug when I was in Florida in January. I'd have bought 1!

If you take it out of the box and either put it in your hand luggage or in a laptop bag then I think you may get away with the import duty.

It's just another way of getting your hard earned anyway. Just like fuel tax.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I would have to agree about the duty at the airport. But honestly, I don't see how they can properly police it once an item like a laptop comes out of its box. There's a UK Apple Store because not everyone has friends coming to the States and willing to try to put one over on customs.

There's a lot of UK members here, and the price difference is a hot topic. I wish someone would find out once and for all the cause of the price differences. If there's a lot of complaints and a justifiable reason, there has to be a way of finding out.
There's a few reasons:

1. Tax. The US price is without sales tax, the british price includes 17,5% VAT.

2. Logistics. Apple obviously has a much larger retail presence in the US, so the economies of scale probably mean they have less logistical overhead. Things such as corporate taxes are usually a bit higher as well (free healthcare isn't entirely free - but if you've ever had a major operation you'll thank your stars you've got it).

3. Expectation. Most CE products still work out being more expensive in the UK than in the US. Why? Good question - but since that's not uncommon, I guess they can just "get away with it", since the relative price is the same (an iPod costs the same amount more than a Sansa player in the UK as it does in the US).

Note: This is just what I assume some of the reasons are. I could be off though of course...

OP
Avenged Origami
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig
thanks but is it worth it? it might break!!! should i take the risk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks but is it worth it? it might break!!! should i take the risk?
AFAIK all Apple computers come with a warranty that is valid internationally, so even if my German Macbook breaks when I'm on holiday in the US I can get it fixed (and vice versa).

One thing to consider: the keyboard layout would be US rather than British.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I guess the only risk is your trust in your friend. If he puts it in a laptop bag and carries it on the plane with him, the only risk is his clumsiness. Don't even think about having him check it into baggage under the plane, unless you want to see the inside of a destroyed laptop when he gives it to you.

EDIT: ah, I see you meant something else by break. I assumed the warranty is good no matter where you use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I'm from the UK and I would totally get a family member to bring me some Apple goodies home if they visited from the US!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Customs at Heathrow tried to charge me duty for an SLR that was 30 years old once. I'm not sure I'd trust it being 'out of the box', unless your cousins coming solely on a tourist visa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I find it somewhat ironic that UK people are griping about taxes. I seem to remember something in history class about a group of people, oh ... about 220+ years ago, who fled the burdensome over-taxation of Britain to make a new start of it in some place across the ocean from them ... hmmm ....

Seriously, one of the main reasons UK Mac users pay more is your taxes. The other, I suspect, is y'all are willing to pay more so they charge more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
It's pretty much just the taxes. Thats with everything, There are probably hidden charges for transport from america - UK. or china to england, as UK is further from china.

ANd basically the british government are money grabbing *Insert not nice word*.

But next year I'm heading off to cali and I'm going to buy me a lot of apple goodies. maybe macbook pro & air. Because it will end up being the same as just one macbook pro over here in UK.

XD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I find it somewhat ironic that UK people are griping about taxes. I seem to remember something in history class about a group of people, oh ... about 220+ years ago, who fled the burdensome over-taxation of Britain to make a new start of it in some place across the ocean from them ... hmmm ....!

They say that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Perhaps all the iBrits will revolt and move across the ocean once again. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
Wouldn't you need to buy a different plug adapter afterwards too? Isn't America running on 140 volts and the United Kingdom on 240 volts? Or would it not make a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wouldn't you need to buy a different plug adapter afterwards too? Isn't America running on 140 volts and the United Kingdom on 240 volts? Or would it not make a difference?
True, but the power adapter can handle both voltages.
You'll just need to pull out the US prongs and pop on the british version (or buy an adapter).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
I'm a UK member and wish I'd had the mac bug when I was in Florida in January. I'd have bought 1!

If you take it out of the box and either put it in your hand luggage or in a laptop bag then I think you may get away with the import duty.

It's just another way of getting your hard earned anyway. Just like fuel tax.

As a UK resident returning from the states at most UK airports have you seen the customs desk you pass? Usually its a guy reading a newspaper, and sometimes there isnt even anyone there!

The only way youw ill get taxed is ifyou buy it on Ebay and even then it might work out cheaper, i bought my first mac ( a mini) on ebay from america and it still worked out cheaper than buying it here even when i got hit with import duty!

I am thinking seriously about buying my next mac in NYC in october as it will save me about £400!

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
Yeah.
Tell me about it.
Fortunatley, the long hauls have like 400 people and they only stop the really dodgey looking ones.

I'll be going to Las Vegas next year so maybe I'll pick a new one up then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
They say that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Perhaps all the iBrits will revolt and move across the ocean once again. :D
I'm not so sure they want to do that. We seem to be marching down that same path ... and we're likely about to elect a democrat to office! :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 inch, white, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB,250GB Serial ATA Drive
I did a cost comparison before I bought my macbook and called and questioned the apple folks.

1) You have to buy the apple care in the same country you purchase the mac product. This is according to the customer service.

2) They will not ship from the US to the UK because of legalities import export rules.

3) I did a price comparison. I paid 1, 743 Euro for my new Mac Book (includes microsoft office and applecare) in the US this would of cost me 1,928 bucks. Its a 500 euro difference, and the reason being in the US I would of paid 8 cents on the dollar for tax, and here I paid 17%.

We're getting screwed here people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I know there are export laws as well due to encryption and what not, although I don't know if those apply to the UK or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.