iChat AV for normal recording?

M

Maxp0wer2004

Can an iChat AV can be used to record video normally?

By "normally" i mean not for video chat, just for recording a video and keeping it on the hard drive or burning to a DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
No iChatAV does not but iMovie can record straight from the iSight

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

Since almost every Mac accessory starts with "i-something" i got confused. I thought iChat AV was the name of the camera.

So, since i am getting an iBook with an iSight, i will be able to record videos.

Another question: The videos i record are not time limited(like 15 seconds on a cell phone), its limited by hard drive space, right?

I am asking all these pointless questions because i dont know much about Mac, and i want to use the iBook & iSight as a camera when i go on vacation.(Just thought i would clear that up)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
yes it is limited by your computers hard drive size not by small time increments.

iSight is the name of the camera
iChatAV is the program that uses AIM/ICQ and allows you to have video chats
iMovie is the video editing program that can record directly from the iSight

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

Ok. Thanks for the help. I cant believe i got help in 15 minutes, when in a live chat room about mac nobody helped at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can get the free Quicktime Broadcaster app and record to that from the iSight. I've never done it personally, but I know people who have.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.