Ooops didnt mean to do that.....

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have just installed a software update on my new MB, and after restarting realised that the MacintoshHD icon had dissapeared from the desktop. No problem i thought, ill just drag it from the finder onto the desktop, the only problem is this seems to have deleted the MacintoshHD folder (best way i can describe it) completely? Is there anyway i can get it back or am i doomed to a life without it?

EDIT:
Managed to add it back to the sidebar in the finder, but i still have no idea on how to mount it on the desktop again :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Click on Finder and Preferences (for Finder). Check the General Tab. Be sure that Hard Disks is checked. If it's not that, not sure what is going on.

Here is a Pic of how it should be set.

hd.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
This had happened to me before if what travis says doesn't fix it I'm afraid you are out of luck. Apple support told me that I either had to to a reinstall of the Operating System or use a terminal command to fix it. Unfortunately the terminal command usually stops working when you restart your computer.

The terminal command is: "sudo chflags nohidden /" without the quotes, after you press enter it will ask you for your password just type it in even though it is not showing and than press enter. No type in "killall Finder" press enter quit terminal and see if that fixed the problem.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I checked the prefrences on the finder and it is set to display HD's on the desktop but it just isnt doing it, but i did find that you could change which window the finder opens so i just changed that to open MacintoshHD which has solved my problem and left me with a completly clean desktop which is actually pretty sweet.

Also i was going to try the terminal command thing but i really didnt understand what it was all about so i thought i best leave alone, espeacially if its not a constant fix.

Cheers for the help guys

Edit:
had a small briainwave after this post and decided to set the finder prefrences to not show the HD then restarted my MB and then changed the settings back and hey presto the HD icon is now back on the desktop. So in all if i had just not been lazy in the first place and performed some basic troubleshooting tasks i could of avoided making this whole thread =\

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hey, great job! I was going to suggest that after I read the first part of your post, but you figured it out on your own! Good going!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.