USB Flash Drive question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
I have a 2GB Sandisk Micro USB which I used to use on windows. I would store my music (as my old computer needed to be clean installed alot), and other files.

When I connect it to my mac, the folders (only the folders) are locked, thus allowing me to only read (not write) the files aren't locked but I do like to keep my Usbdrive organized. Currently I have alot of files just floating around the 'root' directory of my drive. i want to organize these files to their appropriate folders (applications, documents, etc.). Is there anyway to unlock these folders and rearrange my files? or do i need to connect to a windoze system and do it from there?

thx...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Is this the SanDisk USB drive with the Launch U3 application installed on it?

I have this drive, but always found the U3 application pop-up to be annoying. When I finally opened up the application in Windows, I found that it had an option to completely uninstall it from the drive. I uninstalled it and then was able to delete EVERYTHING from the drive.

I currently use it with Windows and OS X without any problems.

OP
kmkl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it had u3 which i uninstalled on windows, but while i used it on mac, i had no pop-ups

so i uninstalled it and still the folders were locked.

but i needed an app launcher for when i was on the school computers (they are slow and so r their programs) so i got PortableApps for Windows, no popups on mac either, and its still is locked, is it something with formatting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
The popup was only on Windows. I didn't need the U3 software, so it was just an annoyance to me.

I really don't have any specific ideas. I've never had a problem. You could try formatting it with Disk Utility. I don't know if you can use Disk Utility on a USB drive. I just checked mine and it is formatted FAT16.

Can you view the file info of the files and check the permissions? Highlight the file in question and type Command-I. Scroll all the way down to check the permissions.

I'm just guessing with these ideas...

OP
kmkl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thx i'll prob reformat later/tomorrow as i need to backup (a.k.a. pull the files to my desktop) the drive.

attachment.php

heres what one of the folders looks like in info view.

thx for your help, maybe someone else will crawl along nd help too! :D

Picture 2.png

OP
kmkl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thx kindly :bowsdown:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.