PDA

View Full Version : would people really buy the 3G phones?

shenfrey
04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Ok, i have an iphone and if they release the iphone with 3G, lol sod it. I will NOT be buying it just because it has 3G. I mean come on! Would you REALLY pay all that money again just for slightly increased speeds?

My advice, stick with your current and wait till Apple release the true next version of the iphone, not just the same phone with 3G.

P.S, if they allow customers a free upgrade, knock yourself out lol

Kash
04-11-2008, 04:28 PM
We had a thread on this a little while ago. The consensus was that most people who currently have an iPhone would upgrade if the next iPhone came with more features than just 3G, such as GPS.

Jaygray
04-11-2008, 04:41 PM
When I can tether it to my notebook and use it as a high speed modem, I'll be the first to jump on the bandwagon. Until then, Windows Mobile it is...

TopDog
04-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I have a HTC Touch Dual. With HSDPA I get 2Mbps easily.

I use it as a (bluetooth)modem for my MacBook whenever I'm out of the house. At least here in Norway that gives me about 10 times the speed of EDGE...

The fact that iPhone does not have 3G today is the main reason it's not an interesting device for me.

Eric559
04-11-2008, 04:53 PM
We had a thread on this a little while ago. The consensus was that most people who currently have an iPhone would upgrade if the next iPhone came with more features than just 3G, such as GPS.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Lifeisabeach
04-11-2008, 05:24 PM
When I can tether it to my notebook and use it as a high speed modem, I'll be the first to jump on the bandwagon. Until then, Windows Mobile it is...

Oh but you CAN (http://www.intomobile.com/2007/09/17/use-your-iphone-as-a-wireless-modem-tether-your-iphone-to-your-mac-laptop-with-tinyproxy.html)!

Lifeisabeach
04-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Ok, i have an iphone and if they release the iphone with 3G, lol sod it. I will NOT be buying it just because it has 3G. I mean come on! Would you REALLY pay all that money again just for slightly increased speeds?

My advice, stick with your current and wait till Apple release the true next version of the iphone, not just the same phone with 3G.

P.S, if they allow customers a free upgrade, knock yourself out lol

And what would you consider a "true next version" to be anyway?

Jaygray
04-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh but you CAN (http://www.intomobile.com/2007/09/17/use-your-iphone-as-a-wireless-modem-tether-your-iphone-to-your-mac-laptop-with-tinyproxy.html)!

Like I said, I want to tether the iPhone as a HIGH SPEED modem. 3G might help with that... :D

Ginger Pilot
04-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Also with the new 3G iPhone it will work in Japan :Evil: , which my current iPhone doesn't :Grimmace:

GP

airwalk331
04-12-2008, 11:28 AM
A lot of non-apple owners are extremely interested in the iPhone but didn't buy one the first time around because "its the first one" and therefore will have some problems.

Personally, I can't wait for the 3G iPhone. I don't have an iPhone but will be getting one the day they're released.

shenfrey
04-12-2008, 12:36 PM
well, if its really worth it i will just upgrade my iphone. I rang O2 and they said its possible.

Lifeisabeach
04-12-2008, 05:16 PM
A lot of non-apple owners are extremely interested in the iPhone but didn't buy one the first time around because "its the first one" and therefore will have some problems.

That's silly. I have one of the first ones. My wife has one also. We don't seem to be having problems.

airwalk331
04-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Apparently they break all the time. And by break I mean freeze/lock up.

Lifeisabeach
04-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Apparently they break all the time. And by break I mean freeze/lock up.

That only happens to the people stupid enough to update the firmware after using one of the SIM unlock hacks to use the iPhone on another network. That's not a problem with the iPhone itself.

airwalk331
04-12-2008, 11:20 PM
That only happens to the people stupid enough to update the firmware after using one of the SIM unlock hacks to use the iPhone on another network. That's not a problem with the iPhone itself.

Dude... most people that have the problems aren't unlocking their phones.

Kash
04-13-2008, 12:00 AM
There's clearly something wrong with the people using the phones because I personally don't know a single person who has had issues with their iPhones. Mine and my brother's work perfectly, as does my cousin's and his wife's, along with numerous friends who have the iPhone. Then there are the dozens of members here at Mac-Forums who have nothing but good things to say about their iPhones. And finally, if serious issues were as rampant as you think they are, Apple wouldn't have sold over 5 million units in less than a year.

airwalk331
04-13-2008, 03:43 AM
There's clearly something wrong with the people using the phones because I personally don't know a single person who has had issues with their iPhones. Mine and my brother's work perfectly, as does my cousin's and his wife's, along with numerous friends who have the iPhone. Then there are the dozens of members here at Mac-Forums who have nothing but good things to say about their iPhones. And finally, if serious issues were as rampant as you think they are, Apple wouldn't have sold over 5 million units in less than a year.

I'll be honest- I know quite a bunch of people who have iPhones and only 1 of them has had problems. But I have 2 friends that work at Apple Stores and they tell me that people bring them in because the freeze/lock up all the time.

I'm getting the new one when it comes out ASAP.

frangieh
04-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Ive unlocked my phone i have it for a year now and i had not one problem i even dropped it a couple times. Just about the 3G iphone i will buy it if i get a chance do people understand what is possible with 3G. All you need for the iphone is two camera i dont care if it is more than 2 megapixel but with 3G video calling will be great with the screen the apple provides with the iphone.

Your iphone plus Video Call and A Modem with 3G ? mmmmm YES intresting for all the people that wanted to buy the iphone but never did.

GringoBoy87
04-19-2008, 08:25 PM
i'm hoping apple provides it as a free update. i'm new to all of this, but would the 3G update require actual hardware update or just software? or maybe a new SIM card?

bargsbeer
04-19-2008, 08:57 PM
I agree with Kash the only time they lock up is if you unlock/jailbreak and update the firmware. I don't know anyone whose iPhone "locked up" or "froze"
The sheer fact that anyone would take any windows mobile phone over the iPhone is nuts... Stop being a hater and join the revolution.If you can't live without 3G then wait you guys that are waiting will always be waiting. I hear that all the time "I'm waiting for the next iPhone" Name a phone out there today that blows the iPhone away? There isn't one... companies like Palm,RIM ,motorola, Nokia have been making phones for years. Apple never made a Phone before ,the first one they make changes all the rules.

airwalk331
04-19-2008, 11:43 PM
It's not just about people being "haters." Some people simply don't want to spend $500 for a cellphone.

fleurya
04-20-2008, 02:17 PM
In this case, it's not really about waiting for "the next thing". In this case, it's waiting for a specific capability, and one that's already pretty mainstream to boot. I'm not a hater, owning an iPhone myself pretty much settles that, but I can recognize it's achievements along side it's shortcomings, which, I'm sorry, iPhone has many. I also think the iPhone is more "evolutionary" then "revolutionary". The only thing of significant difference that I think qualifies for revolutionary status is the control you get over your messages with visual voicemail. The touchscreen also qualifies, but Apple actually wasn't the first to come out with that.

There are some very good competitive products coming out that are much like the iPhone and picking up where it fell short. I for one and glad, because it will give Apple a kick in the pants and bring them to implement the features they were lacking from day one and hopefully come up with some more true revolutionary features that will push them far ahead of the pack again.

fleurya
04-20-2008, 02:23 PM
i'm hoping apple provides it as a free update. i'm new to all of this, but would the 3G update require actual hardware update or just software? or maybe a new SIM card?

Hardware: EDGE and 3G reception require different antennas. Definitely won't be free.

bentapsell
04-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Not being 3G stopped me from buying the current iPhone but I'll be first in line for a 3G version. 3G is a huge deal to us Europeans, you can now get 7.5meg over 3G in the UK now so it makes a big difference.

Bluegrass
04-21-2008, 04:33 AM
Needs to offer a push email service aka the Blackberry for me to consider switching.

jsgreen
04-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Needs to offer a push email service aka the Blackberry for me to consider switching.

Yep - same here, looking for true Push IMAP support for business use.

3G isn't the dealbreaker for me - but more storage and better IMAP support are.

Palm/Treo (using Chatter email) has had real Push email (IDLE supported) for years now, Apple dropped the ball in not supporting it correctly.

Macwillis
04-21-2008, 10:24 AM
3G is definitely a big deal-breaker for me. i live in the uk and 3G is alot bigger over here than it is in the U.S
even tho i can get an 8GB for £169 and that price is very tempting.
i think ill be waiting for the 3G version.

fleurya
04-21-2008, 10:45 AM

That will be available on the current iPhones in June with the 2.0 update. So, if that's all you're waiting, you don't have to wait any longer to make your purchase, just for the update.

airwalk331
04-21-2008, 01:31 PM
3G is definitely a big deal-breaker for me. i live in the uk and 3G is alot bigger over here than it is in the U.S
even tho i can get an 8GB for 169 and that price is very tempting.
i think ill be waiting for the 3G version.

My verizon contract in the US was up in early january and I've been on a month-to-month since then. I decided in late jan. I'd get an iPhone and I've been waiting since then and I'm going to wait a bit longer.

I've decided now that I'm going to wait until the new one comes out (whenever that is). All these rumors are getting me psyched for it.

jrichard012
04-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Being a very impatient male, I've been waiting since we all first heard of these gizmos. I have been forced to wait for my Verizon contract to expire which will be in mid-May. So, this will pretty much coincide ( I hope ) with the launch of the new version.

I don't care what it will cost, because I'm buying two of them after opening a family plan with AT&T. I already have my iTunes folder set up for the iPhone.

airwalk331
04-21-2008, 08:31 PM
haha, I've been looking for cases etc. for it when I get one!

ibookmobile007
04-23-2008, 07:56 AM
haha, I've been looking for cases etc. for it when I get one!

I thought you purchased an iPhone several months back?Or were you just inquiring back then?

At any rate - the current iPhone, i have grown to embrace the phone even though it is still lacking most of which i need (Or shall i say want)but bares the major features that i use.
I agree with someone else's post about waiting....If you continue to wait, that is all you will be doing is waiting and not moving forward.If you are awaiting the 3G iPhone like most of us current iPhone users then welcome aboard!
If you are waiting for some ultimate iPhone that does EVERYTHING YOU want it to do...Then you will be forever waiting.There is always something that we all would personally like on a phone that usually will never happen in the same package.

airwalk331
04-23-2008, 06:45 PM
I thought you purchased an iPhone several months back?Or were you just inquiring back then?

At any rate - the current iPhone, i have grown to embrace the phone even though it is still lacking most of which i need (Or shall i say want)but bares the major features that i use.
I agree with someone else's post about waiting....If you continue to wait, that is all you will be doing is waiting and not moving forward.If you are awaiting the 3G iPhone like most of us current iPhone users then welcome aboard!
If you are waiting for some ultimate iPhone that does EVERYTHING YOU want it to do...Then you will be forever waiting.There is always something that we all would personally like on a phone that usually will never happen in the same package.

I couldn't agree with you more about the "waiting forever part." My contract with verizon ended early january and I wasn't sure I was ready to switch. Over the past few months I've decided I'm going to get one and therefore, I'm waiting til the new one or 3G phone.

I hope it comes out soon!

helloayman
04-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Well My iPhone works really well with Edge and infact with a normal -non edge- connection, If i get an iPhone 3g as a free upgrade. It takes my iphone 15 secs to download pages on a normal connection and 8-10 over edge depending on the page. My life is not in such a rush that i can't wait 8 secs.

A15P
05-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Hardware: EDGE and 3G reception require different antennas. Definitely won't be free.

3G (UMTS) is already in place for ATT. There is no extra charge, there are a ton of phones that ATT has that are 3G at no extra charge over EDGE. Verizon is all 3G (EVDO) data at no extra cost. It is just a matter of building the technology into the phone. Once a 3G version is released it will just be part of the $20.00 iPhone data package.

ibookmobile007
05-03-2008, 09:21 AM
3G (UMTS) is already in place for ATT. There is no extra charge, there are a ton of phones that ATT has that are 3G at no extra charge over EDGE. Verizon is all 3G (EVDO) data at no extra cost. It is just a matter of building the technology into the phone. Once a 3G version is released it will just be part of the $20.00 iPhone data package.

The $20.00 stipulation might change.I have read that new customers taking advantage of the $200.00 cut back from AT&T for the "iPhone Pro" might incur more data fee charges ranging from $30.00 - $40.00.I do not know how much truth there is to that but this might be rendered to newbies to AT&T for taking advantage of the $200.00 cut for the "iPhone Pro".

Current AT&T owners that upgrade via Apple-there plan will remain the same with a wee bit tack on.
This is from information i have gathered from several internet sources, so i do not know how true it is.

Kash
05-03-2008, 11:47 AM

What fleurya meant was that 3G won't be a free add-on to the current iPhone, you'll need to purchase the new device to get that functionality.

FrayAdjacent
05-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Here's how I see it.... (I do IT Management, just fyi)

The iPhone is a beautiful device. It hits the marks for size, form factor and the interface. As it is, however, it's a 'personal' device. That's mostly a limitation of the software - no true 'push' email, no remote security capabilities, only one BlueTooth profile.... it's pretty limited.

I work with a small company that does IT outsourcing and hear requests from customers who want to use iPhones for their business email. Our response has pretty much been 'it can be done, but we DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.' It just can't be secured enough yet.

I'm hoping the software update, combined with 3rd party apps will change that. We already know Activsync is coming, which will work great with Exchange 2007 (migrating to 2007 is something we do frequently for our customers)

As for the next generation hardware? I'll buy one IF:
3G which DOESN'T suck the battery dry in 2 hours (like the Blackjack)
A battery that lasts longer than my current iPhone does
Full range of BT profiles
Ability to add software, and remove the stuff I don't want
Same size/form factor (the weight doesn't bother me, though lighter couldn't hurt)
Landscape in more/all applications

Only the battery and 3G require hardware updates. The screen doesn't need it. My iPhone has the most beautiful screen in that size that I've seen to date. The form factor is great - I drop it in my pocket and barely know it's there.

I did have an issue with the earpeice volume being very low. I got to compare it to my buddy's 8GB phone he got more recently than mine, and his was definitely louder. I took it to the Apple store, and they swapped it out. I actually had to turn the volume DOWN on a call a couple days ago!

Anyway, I'm curious to see what the next iPhone will bring, but with a few added software features, my current iPhone has plenty of life left in it!

jah
05-08-2008, 05:37 PM
iphone would be nice, for me it depends on how good a pda it is
-will the gps street map program have voice directions?
-how much memory in the iphone and will it run applications: handwriting recognition, virtual screen to a desktop, journal application (phat notes), sd memory card?
-per mo how much more will 3g service cost me, i pay $20 for edge
-full bluetooth support
-can the phone be unlocked.

on my old pda (which needs to be replaced) i already have all the applications above and more so dont like to trade down.

i recently bought my first mac... a macbookpro, it has lousy reliability and was expen$ive. it is also somewhat un compatible with my work place.

hmmm why would i buy a iphone???? i really like the apple store fronts tho...

Simms
05-10-2008, 09:23 PM
A few small things I would like to see on the next version of the iPhone, along with the 3G upgrade, would be:
- a non-recessed headphone jack
- a battery you can replace yourself - like on a normal phone!
Then I'd buy one for sure. (That is, if it is released in Australia... :\ )

fleurya
05-11-2008, 04:16 PM
What fleurya meant was that 3G won't be a free add-on to the current iPhone, you'll need to purchase the new device to get that functionality.

Exactly what I meant.