PDA

View Full Version : Probems with certain wireless conenctions?

DarkKnight369
04-10-2008, 10:20 AM
So I have an annoying situation. My iPhone works great, and I absolutely love it. However, there are a few places where Wi Fi does not work for me. For instance I was at the care dealer yesterday getting my oil change. They have free Wi Fi. I connected to it, and the wi fi signal was strong. Everything I tried doing kept saying "the server failed to connect." I tried playing with the settings, Wi_Fi settings, but I couldn't fix it.

The same thing happens at my fiancee's parents house. I connect to their wireless, but I can't do anything on the internet. I end up having to switch back to edge. The only possible thing I can think of, is that in both of the places mentioned, my AT&T signal is weak as ****. Is there som crazy correlation between signal and being able to use Wi-Fi, or is there something I need to do?

Any thoughts?

Aptmunich
04-10-2008, 11:41 AM
I'd guess they either use mac address filtering or expect you to enter an IP address manually.

Or you already have an IP address set up manually and should be using DHCP instead.

DarkKnight369
04-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I have it on DHCP and even hit renew lease.

One of the things is free Wi Fi, so I can't imagine the place would excpect you to have to configure a bunch to make it work. I have used my wi fi in restaurants and at home fine.

james515
04-10-2008, 11:25 PM
you are more than likely having some type of WiFi interference issues. the signal strength of the AT&T network does not come into play with WiFi. this is why people could surf the web and not have an AT&T rate plan

check this thread and the link provided in that thread

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1467505

DarkKnight369
04-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I read that thread you posted, and it doesn't sound like my problem. I will have perfectly strong Wi-Fi signal, yet none of the servers will connect.