dvd burner software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK PRO 2.6ghz 4gb ram
i want to back up some work to dvd and was looking for some free or cheap software for this as its the only time i will ever use it any recommendations? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Do you mean that you just want to back up files to a blank DVD?

If so, no software is necessary.

1. Insert a blank DVD
2. In the Finder tool bar at the top select File > Create Burn Folder. A new folder will appear on the desktop.
3. Drag whatever you want to save into this folder.
4. Open the folder and click the "Burn" geltab.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK PRO 2.6ghz 4gb ram
Thanks not quite like all the work with my old pc then! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will find that is very often the case...

You don't need software to write to your hard drive. Why should you need it to write to your CD drive?

If you do find yourself yearning for the Windows style of CD/DVD burning, check out Roxio Toast. It's the Mac version of Roxio Easy Media Creator for Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You may also wish to check out the excellent freeware SimplyBurns. I use it to do just this sort of thing and it works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
You will find that is very often the case...

You don't need software to write to your hard drive. Why should you need it to write to your CD drive?

If you do find yourself yearning for the Windows style of CD/DVD burning, check out Roxio Toast. It's the Mac version of Roxio Easy Media Creator for Windows.

I love Mac as much as the next guy but lets not mislead people here. Windows burning is just as easy. Some might argue it is actually a step shorter. All you have to do in XP or Vista is right click the folder or file you want to burn and goto Send To then select your burner. A window opens and you click burn. It is actually a step shorter then the process on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are correct. This is also a simple process in XP and Vista.

I guess I assumed from the poster's comments, that he/she was using something older than XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Actually, there is no DVD burning engine in XP. There is in Vista though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Thanks Jaygray that really helps me. I was actually looking at burning software. I would have to have Roxio Toast if I wanted to say back-up a DVD right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jaygray that really helps me. I was actually looking at burning software. I would have to have Roxio Toast if I wanted to say back-up a DVD right?

I don't really do any DVD burning, so someone else jump in here, but I'm going to say, "not necessarily". Try this before you buy any software.

Open the Disk Utility (in applications folder or use spotlight to find it).

Insert your source DVD. Select New Image from the Disk Utility toolbar.

Select a destination on your hard drive. Allow Disk Utility to create the image file and save it to your hard drive.

Once it's finished, create a burn folder as described above, paste the image file into it and burn it to a new DVD.

The Mac image file (.dmg) is the equivilent of the Windows .iso file.

I'm not sure what happens if you try to burn copyrighted videos using this method. I've never tried. I assume their is some form of protection to prevent this though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it won't work. You'll need something that can at the very least understand and write the TOC for the DVD, more likely you'll want something that can shrink the contents of a dvd9 to a dvd4. Toast does that. MacTheRipper does a good job of ripping dvd's to your hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Ok thanks... I've done a little in the past on PC. Just wanted to play a little.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This thread peaked my interest a little so I tried my own suggestion yesterday. Dysfunction is right. It won't work for Video data. It would only work to copy a DVD with data files. Thank you for the correction.

Using Toast, I was able to burn a Quicktime movie to a DVD-R so that my 9 year old DVD player could play it. Nothing earth shattering, but I'd never done it before...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.