Need help deciding between the iPhone and Alltel's HTC 6800. Help!!!

Reaction score
I need some help making my mind up. My contract with Alltel for my current phone plan is up in August and I was planning to cancel with them and getting an iphone. I have a mac, and ipod classic, and a Garmin GPS. I wasn’t really looking to put music on the phone but I wanted something to browse with. While away from the computer or at work I would like to have a phone that will allow me to get on facebook, myspace, youtube, yahoo answers, etc. Both would require a two-year contract. Alltel is offering to let me upgrade to what they are calling their iphone competitive product. Below are the details:

The HTC 6800 with Alltel: $199.99 after rebate and customer loyalty credit.

http://www.feelphones.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/alltel-ppc6800.jpg

Runs windows mobile 6 (yuck but at least there is an iphone theme)
Windows Media player (Again yuck but I already have an ipod classic)
2 MP camera with picture and video messaging (not bad)
Wi-Fi-capable (just like iphone)
Voice activated dialing (I use every now and then)
Infrared (IR) communications (?)
Bluetooth® wireless technology (cool)
Use your device as a modem for your laptop while traveling (don’t have a laptop but doubt it will work with a mac ☹ )
Expandable memory slot (OK?)
Speakerphone (well I would hope so)
Mobile Office includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, which includes calendar, notes, tasks and integrated address book. (Word on a phone? Would I ever use it?)

I would have to install Opera mobile for a browser I could stand! Also I would have to install this iphone theme on the phone:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RIMoAL5DsP4

The plan is $69.99 for:
500 peak minutes
Unlimited Web Browsing
5 My Circle numbers (that I can change online at any time online)
Unlimited Text and picture Messaging (a customer loyalty thing.)
Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile (almost all of my family is on Alltel)
Unlimited Night and Weekends

Compared to the iphone’s $59.99 plan of:
450 peak minutes with rollover
Unlimited Web Browsing
200 Text and 0 picture messaging
AT&T’s mobile to mobile (I only know a few AT&T users)
Nights and Weekends
But of course a **** good phone made by Apple.

So the iphone’s handset price of $399 + ($ 59.99 *24 =1439.76) = 1838.76
And Alltell’s iphone clone is $199 + (69.99*24=1679.76) = 1873.76

Alltel’s phone and plan is $40 more over the course of 2 years than the iphone but with the circle and mobile to mobile to my family would more than make it worth it for two years of unlimited calls to my Mom, Dad, sister, grandmother, aunts, uncles, and cousins that are using Alltel. And the unlimited messaging is a nice thing to have.

Since I already have an ipod classic and a Garmin GPS I am very happy with should I go ahead and to the Alltel upgrade? Any reason why I shouldn’t? And finally, if I do any more suggestions on how to make the windows mobile platform more tolerable? Other than putting Opera mobile and the iphone skin on it?

Reaction score
Hi (Just so you know, I use an iPhone and an N95 for work)

As the overall prices are so close, I'm just going to leave that out of my comments, after two years, 40 dollars isn't really going to make much difference, is it?

I suppose it really comes down to how you use your phone, from reading your post it looks like one of the main reasons you'd want the iPhone is because it's made by Apple, which isn't anything to scoff at really, I love my iPhone, it's rock solid when it comes to OS quality, my N95 on the other hand, crashes all the time.

As for web browsing, NOTHING I've used beats the iPhone for quick, solid browsing, it really is a great experience, multiple pages is a breeze too.

On a direct comparison to the Alltel deal, the iPhone/AT&T deal is awful, just like it is in every other country - But, does it suit you? Do you send loads of text messages or picture messages in a month, I'm guessing you don't as you've considered the package anyway!

My thoughts are: If you want the iPhone and don't send too many SMS messages or don't need the extra minutes, grab the iPhone! If frequently go over or almost go over 450/500 minutes a month, get the HTC, at least then you'll get free minutes to your family :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Obviously the minutes and calling your family part are important factors, but leaving those out for a minute I think this sums it up nicely:

I would have to install Opera mobile for a browser I could stand! Also I would have to install this iphone theme on the phone:

You're trying to hack the HTC phone into something it's not and never will be.

OP
S
Reaction score
I did go to the store today and I didn't like the HTC phones. :( Though I like Alltel's customer service and endless suppily of minutes, I'm just not thrilled about their phones. Their made for buisness not for pleasure so I think I will get an iphone and use it with t-mobile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.