• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Navigation System>??? eh>> eh>??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
how about this: an apple branded in car nav system.

how awesome would that be?????!!

would be running a modified version of OS X
has gps, itunes, dvd player/frontrow, would display dashboard info like speed, tank capacity, and other info like weather and ical and such, in the form of o i dunno widgets, and that feature would be called DASHBOARD?? how about internet on it? hmm?

how awesome would that be?????!!

i was think about it when i was in the car:

how ugly is this NISSAN Nav system? wat if apple got there hand in this sweet deal? it would be pixel perfect prettyness

remember: u heard it hear first!!! lol

hopefully somebody in apple will be crawling along the web and c this and tell mr. jobs and he will unveil this thing at a keynote presentation with pretty slides and the like. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Now, you just need to add WiFi to it, so that when it gets in range of your house, which of course has your Mac and your Airport Extreme base station, it automatically syncs with your Mac over WiFi, so that everything is always current. A pretty cool idea!

OP
kmkl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, you just need to add WiFi to it, so that when it gets in range of your house, which of course has your Mac and your Airport Extreme base station, it automatically syncs with your Mac over WiFi, so that everything is always current. A pretty cool idea!

wifi ya... and have a functionality to connect to ur iphone through wifi or bluetooth so that YOU CAN BE A SAFE DRIVER AND KEEP BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL and can talk through the nav system.

oohh and voice activated like Mic.softs. sync (but that might be patent infingement...)

and they could call it... Apple Freeway, or Roadway, or iWay, or Motorway or... (suggestions go 'ere)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Apple already makes something like that; it's called the iPhone. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Another vote for iNav :D, does sound awesome but I don't think anything like that'll be coming out for another 10 years or so... when apple takes over ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I do like that idea but instead wifi why not have it run on sell tower internet similar to that of the iphone

OP
kmkl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Climate settings for the car in dashboard, i should totally make a mock-up

10 years might be too long, right now is reasonable, and a great time for apple to pounce. however, this whole iNav thing doesn't sound like apple consumer products.

nevertheless, i think i'd be supercool, and it would up the value of the apple company

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
but its not integrated into the car...

Neither is my TomTom 720 GPS unit, but it still works quite well....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another vote for iNav. I LIKE it!

Reaction score
I don't understand why Apple doesn't start making a ton of different things, I believe they could really take over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Monte- sometimes it's better to not be a the top of the food chain. Case and point, Microsoft (OS, XBox 360.) What if Apple kept branching out and made more products instead of good products?

It's my opinion that no one can make lots of good products well while making everyone happy (consumers and investors.) I would rather see Apple make a few great products than a million average products.

OP
kmkl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Monte- sometimes it's better to not be a the top of the food chain. Case and point, Microsoft (OS, XBox 360.) What if Apple kept branching out and made more products instead of good products?

It's my opinion that no one can make lots of good products well while making everyone happy (consumers and investors.) I would rather see Apple make a few great products than a million average products.

I agree with bryphotoguy, Microsoft is such a big company, it's almost pointless.

Reaction score
It would be a sweet product if they made a double din sized nav screen like the Avic-d3, but on the side, have a slot that you slide your iphone into and dock it. You could have the actual processing power for gps, music, hands free, etc done with the phone. That way, when you are driving, the screen basically becomes a big monitor for the phone. and you wouldn't have to use a cigarette lighter or have any cords to keep the phone charged. Just dock it and go.

You could also put 2 or 3 cables with ipod connectors in the back, that extend into the glove box; and have the option to play video or music from different ipods. So, if passengers have ipods, you just plug them in, and you still have your iphone in the dock, for gps, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
It would be too pretty. Accidents rate will go up when too many people focus on the nav and not on the driving.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.