• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Prom Date Advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Soon....maybe pro
Ok so it is my Senior year, and ive been getting pretty excited for prom. Anyways, I've never been the smoothest talker, and while I have confidence in other aspect of my life, when it comes to asking woman out, I've always been like a deer in the headlights.

Ok, so there is this girl in my biology, who is ridiculously good looking and she is smart. We speak in class, mostly about class, but its fairly awkward between us. So I decided to man up, and I asked her to go to prom with, to which she said yes. :)

So my intentions here are good, as I really only asked her to get to know her better and hopefully become better friends. The only thing I'm worried about is that together, prom is going to be a tad awkward. I am considering asking her to go out for lunch or a movie sometime, so that we won't be so awkward come prom night. I feel like this may be borderline stalker though, seeing how I just asked her to prom and now to lunch.

Prom is roughly a month and a half away, but do any of you guys have any suggestions as to how I should go about the situation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
it never hurts to ask. If she is interested in you she is probably just as nervous. when you are chatting with her next in class ask her to lunch/dinner/coffee and tell her you would like to discuss prom plans. This may cut down on the awkwardness as you both know at least one topic that will be talked about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
Hit it... and Forget it.

Just kidding...

Invite her to join you and some of your friends for lunch. Group settings always make stuff less awkward.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If you're wanting to invite her out to do something to make it less awkward and stalker-like beforehand, tell her to bring along a friend, if she likes. If so, then bring along one of your friends too, if it would make it more comfortable for you as well.

I like bringing along friends to avoid awkward situations, cause they help you avoid them. Friends help you be yourself.

Reaction score
Hit it... and Forget it.

Haha, that made me laugh.

But seriously, I don't think asking her out before prom would be stalkerish at all. If she's as good looking and smart as you say, she probably could have gone to prom with a lot of guys, and she picked you, which tells me she's at least semi-interested in you, and at the very least wouldn't mind being friends.

I don't think anyone wants to go to the prom with a stranger, so getting to know each other outside of class is a good idea.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great idea guys, going with friends would be perfect. Any ideas on a place to go? I feel like lunch may be a little.....cliche?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I say movies, coffee to get to know each other better OR your house to discuss prom plans. Each of these present various options and open up different doors of what could happen, coffee is just casual, movies is a bit more serious, and your house is just as casual as coffee, but with more doors open as to possibilities ;) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
one of my closest friends whose a girl and I became close after I invited her to go go-karting with another couple, whereas the first time my girlfriend and I went out it was to the movies and then my house. So it really depends on if you like this girl as a friend or potential partner.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In all honesty, I wouldn't mind her being either a friend or a gf, I'm just not trying to push for the latter.

Ok here is another question. I know she has a Junior Prom which she is going to on Saturday (the senior prom i asked her to isn't until the first week of June). should I invite her out before Saturday, or after?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Well, I think you should try before saturday, just as a fail safe if you do ever want to go out with her so she doesn't get real into another guy while she's at the event. Just my two cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well, seeing as how she's probably a bit preoccupied with this Saturday, schedule something for next week. And at your age, lunch probably isn't cliche. It's when you get older that it starts to get jaded. Dinner and a movie is still a pretty good date for high school kids.

But here's one rule you should follow regardless of age. Pick a weekday instead of the weekend. That way it doesn't automatically mean it's a date, which would put her at ease. And having a couple friends along would probably be a good idea as well. You don't want to do one-on-one right away since it's still a bit awkward between you guys. Like iWhat said, having friends there will relax both of you guys and can actually allow you to see parts of each other that you wouldn't have seen otherwise during a one-on-one date.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, so she is probably going to be busy this week with her Junior prom, so I'll try to schedule it sometime next week (weekday huh?). Alright so I'll probably ask her for some coffee after school, for sometime next week.

Now, I need to pick a friend who would be a good wingman....

Seriously, you don't get this quality of advice in the windows forums, you simply don't. Thanks for all your help so far.

Ok, so how should I approach this situation, simply ask her out for coffee, or do some sort of seg way into it...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
oooh i liked this line :

good looking and she is smart

she sounds like a girl in my math class, yet i couldn't dare to ask her out... good luck with her.

of course u don't want her to be a gf ;) yea rit... lol jks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
coffee sounds good.... but, while it is a great idea to get to know her, you might want to try something like a movie. If you go to a movie then there isn't so much pressure to try and talk through the awkward silent moments.

Even dinner isn't bad because you are eating! The only reason I even mention it is because of your fear of awkwardness. Dinner and a movie... or either one can help diminish awkwardness.
And then when you go out the next time... you already have inside jokes and stuff from your first time together... This is America which means that the waiter will be weird or SOMETHING funny is going to happen that will be a shared memory.

Can you tell I've been through this. Speaking from advise.... You will not avoid awkward times.... Just remember that you are a cool guy (you are a mac person, after all) and that you will look back on these years of your life and smile... so relax and enjoy them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook / 2Ghz/ 2Gb RAM / 80G HD / superdrive
Just ask her. It's prom...not rocket science. Don't make a big deal out of it. I had a great time on my prom and I just asked her. :2cents:

Edit: "(insert name here) would you like to go with me to the prom?" "Yes!" "No way!" lol

Reaction score
Bonus points if she's good looking, smart, AND a mac user!

but srsly, good job getting the guts to ask her. you sound like a cool dude. just ask her out to dinner and a movie or something and then you can really get to know what she's like there. Dinner and a movie is always a great choice.

Reaction score
This Saturday is kind of close, I would wait till after. You can ask her before then, but I wouldn't plan to actually do anything till after Saturday.

Speaking as a girl, honestly, we don't really care where we go on a date. (Either that or I'm just really laid back) I think lunch is a fine date. Then if it goes well you can still do something afterwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 inch, white, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB,250GB Serial ATA Drive
I see alot of dudes answering this but go girls so heres my female pov - next time you're in class together, tell her would like to get together next week to pick out stuff for the prom. A mall is a good setting - lots of things to look at, food court, and a movie theater. There are also alot of people there - she wont think you're trying to hump her leg. At no time should you attempt to hump her leg, ok sparky !

Have you picked out your tux yet ? there are usually tux shops in malls she can help you pick it out. She will probably already have her dress - but you should buy her a corsage with a rose. It should match your boutonneire - You should pay for both unless she offers to pay for yours. You can order them together at the same time to be available the day of the prom.

Are you taking a limo to the prom or is mom and dad taking you ? Now would be a good time to book this if you are. You can get a towncar through most of the limo companies that will be less expensive than a limo. Also some nice romantic touches would be a bottle of sparkling cider (non alcoholic) unless your mom and dad are cool with champaign - if they are I recommend the little bottle of Veuve Cliquote Champagner, that will run you about 20 to 25 bucks.

Ask her if she would like to do the photos at the prom. Ask her what her favorite flower is (corsage info). Ask her what color her dress is (your tux vest should match this) Ask her what time it is ok to pick her up that night. Ask her what her favorite food or restaurant is - ask her if she would like to go to dinner that night and if she says yes - make reservations for about 2.5 hours prior to the prom or after depending on how early your prom starts.

I know alot of details - but if you go through all this hassle it has big rewards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
jenny made a really good suggestion. Picking stuff out for prom was actually one of the first things I did with my prom date to get to know her better. It definitely worked out as we were out for hours, having fun. And a big plus to finding the dress first is then you can match your tuxedo with it. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And a big plus to finding the dress first is then you can match your tuxedo with it. ;P

Don't even get me started about Prom Dre$$e$.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.