iChat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Alright, I'm not quite sure, and haven't been able to decipher what it really is on the apple website. Is iChat the client itself, or does it just run a client, like AIM, in iChat and make everything easier? Say I wanted to video chat with someone, do we both need the same client, or does iChat allow cross client things. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
i'm pretty sure that it allows cross client chat. provided they have the same messenger network...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Alright, I'm not quite sure, and haven't been able to decipher what it really is on the apple website. Is iChat the client itself, or does it just run a client, like AIM, in iChat and make everything easier? Say I wanted to video chat with someone, do we both need the same client, or does iChat allow cross client things. Thanks!
iChat is a stand-alone application that works with the AIM network. I chatted with a cousin the other day using iChat and she was on her WinXP machine using the AIM client.

OP
ogacon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, so I need a client in itself though? Or can I set up an iChat account as well? (it is free right, comes with iLife '08?)

Reaction score
I don't think it comes as a part of iLife, but it is free. There is no iChat account, you can either use your .mac account if you choose to have one, or an AIM account.

OP
ogacon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, thanks! That's what I was wondering. No further questions.

Reaction score
Can also use a GTalk account. iChat is just a client that enables you to chat with other services. I guess the point is that if the client you are using is capable of videochat it allows you to easily use iSight which is the built in cam. I can videochat with my AIM friends all the time. Its sweet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yea, but can you share your desktop, or other media with AIM? That's pretty much the only thing I actually use iChat for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.