Flaky connection with Vista machine

daq

Reaction score
I needed to transfer some files from my main Vista box to my new MacBook so I assigned static addresses on both sides and hooked them up with a cat6 cable hoping to transfer over gigabit network -- then problem started:

Connection is very unstable -- dropping about 30% of all packets.
Downgrading it to 100MBps makes it much more stable, but it only realistically functions at around 1Mbps transferring stuff @ ~150kb/s, but at least it doesn't drop packets.

I had to resort to wireless to transfer the files -- samba failed miserably. It was extremely unreliable when it worked, but it didn't even connect most of the time.
I am transferring files over ssh right now through wireless which is going at around 1.5Mb/s or about 100 times slower than i wanted to transfer my stuff.

Anyone seen this??? What is going on?
Any suggestions welcome. Thanks a lot!

P.S. I just check and my Dell notebook is able to transfer @ 10Mb/s over same cable (it only has 100Mbps NIC) with the same settings. Is my MacBook hating on Vista?

Err... I just noticed I posted in hardware forum. Admins, could you please move it, or delete and I'll repost. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.