Rockin it Old School...need help!!!!

Reaction score
Ok, after having a father who has worked on macs since the first mac classic, this is my first foray into the mac "world". I've been a musician for several years and am really needing to get myself up to speed on music editing on the mac. Here's what I have to work with:

G4 533mHz power pc with 246mb RAM

I just purchased this piece last night from a guy selling used computers...got it for about $200. It's in pretty good condition and boots with no problem.

Here's my issue, I need serious help deciding what is the best path to go. While a CPU upgrade may be a possibility for the near future, really I'm just trying to get my feet wet. I mean, I'm starting with nearly NO experience or knowledge whatsoever.

He replaced the hard drive, so I lost the OS as well...which doesn't bother me, but that factors into the equation. I'll need to replace the OS and then get some software to begin learning so that I too can become a guru and help out the little guy some day.

Here's the hardware I currently have...I picked this up to run on windows but never really did much with it, but hopefully that will help someone send me in the right direction:

M-Audio MobilePre USB interface

I also have an Alesis QS7 which is MIDI-enabled (something else I know little about)

Ableton Live Lite 4 (I believe)

Alright all you "know-it-all's"...help a poor guy out!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I've been a musician for several years and am really needing to get myself up to speed on music editing on the mac. Here's what I have to work with:

G4 533mHz power pc with 246mb RAM

I just purchased this piece last night from a guy selling used computers...got it for about $200.
I need serious help deciding what is the best path to go. While a CPU upgrade may be a possibility for the near future, really I'm just trying to get my feet wet. .................
Honestly... and I will give it to you straight... you are going to need more than just a processor upgrade.
You will need RAM... at least 2 GB for Music Editing/recording.
You will need the OS... at least 10.4 for it to be compatible with most music software.
You will need the actual software itself.

In all likelihood, your $200 investment will balloon quite a bit before you actually have a decent and viable machine for music editing.

$200 was a good price for that computer, but that computer is not really so hot for editing, even with upgrades.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, I understand. I guess I should have clarified that I know (and plan to) max out the memory. Being that it's the DA 533 machine, I can only expand to 1.5gb. However, that should be sufficient to run something like garageband or logic 7, right? I've done a bit of research and have concluded that that, along w/ tiger, should at least get me in the ballpark, shouldn't it? There's a CPU upgrade to take me up to 1.5gHz for about $250.

Point being, since I,m starting out completely green, will this be enough to cut my teeth on? I realize it's not a quad-core running logic 8 or anything but that would be overkill since I have no clue what I'm doing yet. I'll probably have to upgrade to a usb card that supports 2.0 to sufficiently power that mobilepre as well.

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on Mac audio combo's, but I've been using my own DAW for quite a few years on PC. Made the switch to a Mac Pro and a M2 box with Protools LE about a year ago.

I have 3 gigs on the machine and it never even burps! What will use up your CPU capacity are the plugins. Certain ones are more intensive than others.

I have a Waves bundle, and they can be notorious (depending on who's telling the story) for using up CPU.

Otherwise, I find the M2 box (USB2) and PT LE to be a very good reasonably priced combo deal. You will need to alter settings to optimize for recording or playback depending on the project, but thats easily done within PT's.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.