My first Mac Help ?

Reaction score
I'm switching to a Mac and was wondering if anyone could help with a question I have. I was wondering if I should buy a 24" iMac or do you think I should wait incase newer iMacs come out soon. If anyone has any better ideas of what setup would be decent, I'd very much appreciate it. Thankyou in advance.

Reaction score
Up to you, no guarantees on how fast the new iMacs will come out though. Also depends on what you are doing with it...do you really need a faster processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic
What setup would be decent? You need to decide that depending on what you do with your computer. I can tell you my 2.4 iMac with 4 gigs of RAM handles video editing and burning with iMovie/iDVD and light gaming quite well (Warcraft III and WoW).

If you are a hardcore gamer... iMac might not be the answer.

I for myself never sit around and wait for the latest and greatest... I would never buy a computer if I did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Yea I've learnt to get the right Mac for my needs and not try to get the best Mac or the fastest Mac.

I agree with the others, it depends what you do on the computer. I find having the 2.4GHz, 20" iMac is great for multi-tasking with 4-5 applications all running at the same time, doing graphics, having a lot of photos, music etc.

All the iMacs can be upgraded to 4GB RAM which to me is huge, I have 2GB RAM as I will soon be using Photoshop.

A good idea to to list what you do now on a computer
Know how much you want to spend

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks guys, this was cool of you to reply. I'm sorry I didn't get specific with what I'd be using my Mac for. I'll mostly be using it for photoshop, music, photos and some video editing too.

Reaction score
thanks guys, this was cool of you to reply. I'm sorry I didn't get specific with what I'd be using my Mac for. I'll mostly be using it for photoshop, music, photos and some video editing too.

No problem :D , Judging by what you will be doing the Imac is perfect for you. Also, in response to your previous question about the new Imacs. I think it will be at least a couple of months before the new ones hit the shelves, and in my opinion it is not worth waiting as the improvement is not going to be that huge on the new machines. Just be assured, if you buy now you will not feel disappointed that you didn't wait until the new ones came out because it won't be that soon. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm
I think it goes for everything and not just the iMac's but if the computer will meet your needs and you don't have any complaints about the design or anything go ahead and buy. Sure the same computer will be cheaper in the future but let's be honest who would buy the cheaper old machine when the newer machine will be faster and the same price as you were willing to spend. You'll never really save money and sure the newer macs may be faster but if the current one meets your needs why wait? That's how I feel about it at least.

Reaction score
iMacs are due an update anytime now so I would hang on for a bit longer if I were you. Apparently resellers are reporting low stock levels which normally means a newer model is imminent.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
iMacs are due an update anytime now so I would hang on for a bit longer if I were you. Apparently resellers are reporting low stock levels which normally means a newer model is imminent.

Just FYI there is no set schedule for Apple product releases. Buy the machine you need at the time you need it and it will continue to suit those needs long after a newer model has been released. Unfortunately, with Apple being as tight-lipped as they are, most of what you read on the Internet is usually baseless speculation.

As always, if you're always waiting for the next thing "big thing" in technology, you'll be waiting forever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.