Formating my external HD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just received my OWC Mercury Elite Pro 500 GB and I need to format it. I'm not really good with the technical stuff on a computer so, please be easy on me.

1) I got the external HD because, I want to move my music, photos, and docs off my computers (both Mac and PC). I'm doing so that I can sell/"get rid" of my computers and get new ones.

2)I want to be able to use my HD on both Macs and PC interchangeably.

3) I'm in the US right now but, I go to school in the UK. My Mac is back in the UK, I'm on my PC/laptop right now.

I know that if I format by HD to FAT32 I can use the HD on both Macs and PCs interchangeably, but the downside with FAT32 is that there is only a 4GB per file limit - Is my info correct? - As a result of some searching, I've come to the conclusion that I would be better off to partition. My questions are:

a)I'm assuming that I can format the partitions with different formats, NFTS for PC (Is this the best format for PC?), but what format do I use for my Mac partition?

b)I was told it's better to format the HD on my Mac, since I don't have my Mac with me (see above), is this true? if not, how do I format the HD on my PC?

I know this is a mac forum, but any help with PC would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, for the long post.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
my WD 500GB is fat32 with files larger than 7GB and it can be read from both mac and windoz. i dont think file size matters at all so i wouldnt touch it and i would just keep using it if it is already fat32.

OP
L
Reaction score
^^^
Thanks for your reply,

Actually, my HD hasn't been formated yet. I really don't think I'm going to have 1 single file that's over 4GB. I just want to move music, pictures, and docs on to the HD. Besides program files, what single file is over 4GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
yea fat32 should work just fine. btw hd movies are like 25 GB, i know some people that rip them and save them for later.

OP
L
Reaction score
^^^

Thanks,

I really don't think I have anything single file that's over 4GB (maybe folders with multi pics?) and I don't see myself ripping HD movies

OP
L
Reaction score
The more I read the more I get the impression that FAT32 is the way to go....is that everyone else thinks?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.