PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Gmail Custom Time

D3v1L80Y
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
"Just click "Set custom time" from the Compose view. Any email you send to the past appears in the proper chronological order in your recipient's inbox. You can opt for it to show up read or unread by selecting the appropriate option."

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/customtime/index.html

mrplow
04-01-2008, 10:27 AM
if only ;)

mathogre
04-01-2008, 10:41 AM
I saw that earlier. Great Gmail feature!

kkelly122
04-01-2008, 11:28 AM
i fell for it for a second until it didn't show up in compose mail. I'm so gullible.

technologist
04-01-2008, 01:13 PM
From the truth-is-stranger-than-fiction department...I have seen spammers use forged timestamps to send messages in the past. The net result of this is, in some mail viewers, the spam message is placed way back in your inbox (assuming it gets through the filters.)

I'm not sure if they're actually deliberately forging it, or if the spambots they're using just have dead clock batteries.

Brown Study
04-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I have seen spammers use forged timestamps to send messages in the past.Do you mean they were sent from the past, or dated far in the future and sent to the past?

I had a spate of spam of the latter last year, with stuff dated in the 25th century. Maybe they're using both now.

PowerBookG4
04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Thats awesome!

"You never sent me that e-mail"
"Yes I did, I sent it 3 days ago"

You go home and send the e-mail and forge the stamp, then they go home and check it and think that you actually did what you said you did and think you are not as forgetful as they thought you were.

fleurya
04-01-2008, 02:30 PM
I knew this was wrong from the jump. The whole idea is crazy and not something Google would probably get into. Plus there are "testimonials" which I have never seen Google put on anything else and a little early to have since it is supposedly debuting today.

sanity1082
04-01-2008, 02:30 PM
great find. that would be a useful feature even if it is a little dishonest

mass0234
04-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Is this real or an April Fool's joke as well?:
http://www.google.com/virgle/index.html

I think it's a joke.

scoutfinch
04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
What a brilliant April Fool's joke that was. I knew that Google (who purports to do no harm, lol) would never stoop so low!!!!! That one testimonial about the concert tickets was especially funny. Someone had won but then they saw his email. It had me laughing ;D

And yea, the Virgle idea was a joke too hehe.

MikeIsGood
04-02-2008, 11:13 PM
IIRC, on a past April 1 they proclaimed that they had implemented a button that you could press to have any copy of an email hand delivered to you personally :)