• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Compacting 6 GBs to fit on DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Is there anyway with either Apple archiver or with Stuffit Deluxe 12 that i can compact a 6.29 GB file to fit onto a DVD? I have an ISO that need to fit to one. And also i have a 2.23 GB file that i need to compact down to less tan 1.5 GBs, how can i do that one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Doubtful. You will have to get a dual-layer (which are expensive). They can hold a bit more than 8 GB. Your MBP has a superdrive, so it would be no problem. Or use an iPod or another portable drive.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Does this sound wierd, but i tried putting it onto one of my portable drives, and it gave error code 0, saying it was an unknown error to put it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Oh yeah, it can't be formatted as FAT32...which is what most drives are formatted as :O FAT32 can only hold single files as big as 4 GBs.

Sorry :( You might just have to get the dual-layer disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Oh yeah, it can't be formatted as FAT32...which is what most drives are formatted as :O FAT32 can only hold single files as big as 4 GBs.

Sorry :( You might just have to get the dual-layer disc.

Or just format the external drive with HFS+. If he hasta share it with a Windows computer, then use Windows to format it in NTFS and download a couple free packages to enable OS X to read and write NTFS volumes.

MacFUSE
NTFS-3G

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.