Confused about Selections

Reaction score
I reallly want to switch to Mac. I currently use windows and microsoft office. I am really comfortable with office (word, powerpoint, excel) and I am really nervous about switching to Mac. I need some convincing to make the Mac look so great my husband will support my desire to change. He is very "techy" but doesn't want to spend the money. I thought I had him convinced about a year ago but he went with Dell. Anyway we are both teachers and I need something that I can make great presentations with and will work with different software. Any help or suggestions would certainly be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I'm not quite sure what you want to know, but office is made for Mac, as is something called iWork which comes from Apple. Either one should suit your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Amy

What types of applications, (other than MS Office), do you feel you need for productivity in your occupational field? I know that you have the ability to do word processing and presentations with OS X with a variety of applications, including PowerPoint, but I'm not sure what other applications you use fairly often.

From an OS perspective, Mac OS and MS are not all that different, although there is a little learning curve to learn the way Mac OS is implemented. But for someone with a fair understanding of basic personal computers, the transition is not that hard. Macs will tend to last a little longer than PC based systems. The operating system will be far less complicated to maintain and update. In other words, your use of your computer will focus on productivity or personal use... not maintenance of the computer or it's OS system. Plus you have a decent amount of software tools included with your system. The old stigma was that Macs were primarily for specific use or non mainstream applications, but that has not been the case since their move to Intel processors and the ability to power crunch business related applications more easily. In the education community, Macs have a pretty good representation, and that is growing now in the business side of the community with the ability to run business related software better, now that you can run Windows based applications in Parallel or VM, (though Mac users do pray for the day when we are not forced to have to put the Microsoft garbage in our computers).

I've used Microsoft products since the days of MS DOS until Microsoft decided to come out with Vista and Server 2003. The decision to switch for me was an easy one, to be honest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
if you really want that perfect presentation, iWork would be for you, it includes pages (word processing), keynote (presentation), and numbers (spreadsheet) this will make your productivity faster (and much more appealing)

Macs do have a slight learning curve, but not too far off from windows. I do recommend that you go ahead and make that purchase (as long as you can convince your hubby first)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Yh, macs do have a slight learning curve, but thats just becasue apple has a completely different philosophy to how you should be using your computer. Once you get used to your mac, which shouldn't take longer than a few days, you'll soon realise that the mac way of doing things makes so much more sense (in most circumstances anyway)

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you so very much for all the great comments. I really appreciate the thoughtful and helpful answers. Another question....
Which laptop should I look at. There seems to be so many to pick from...macpro, imac, airmac.....my eyes are strained from looking at all of the reviews and if any of you were to pick one system for your daily usage, which system would you pick? We don't have a lot of money (I have one more semester of college before certification and my husband already teaches) but money is not going to be a factor this time around because I want something great and useful for myself and my students. Thank you in advance for participating and encouraging my desires of switching systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
First of all you need to decide whether you want a portable machine (laptop) or just a normal desktop (iMac or Mac Mini).

For the portable range you hvae a choice of Macbook, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro

A Macbook is an ideal choice for everyday use, such as email ,surfing the net, word processing, making home movies etc....

A Macbook Air is the worlds thinnest laptop (according to Apple), so its just for portability, its not very powerful and hasn't got many ports and doesn't have a CD/DVD drive.

The Macbook Pro is Apples most powerful laptop. Its the best choice if your going to be editing a lot of movies and rendering a 3D animation etc...

The iMac is Apples main desktop computer, its pretty fast and is really for anyone who wants to email, surf the net, word processing and editing quite a few movies.

On the other hand the Mac mini is a bit more basic, its same as the iMac but won't be ideal for editing a lot of movies, maybe the odd few or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well first off, do you need a notebook, in other words do you need portability and the ability to take the computer with you from place to place OR are you looking for a Desktop computer?

The MacBook Air performance if probably a little light for your needs, I suggest if you need a Notebook that you get a High end Macbook or the Low-end Macbook Pro.

If you want a Desktop the Low-Mid range iMac should be fine for you.

If you will be running lots of power programs and doing really really intense stuff and video editing and what not than as long as you have the Money the Mac Pro would work, but from what you've posted and my assumptions an iMac should be perfect for you :)

Reaction score
Amy,

I've been a PC user for years, built some too. I recently got a 24" 2.4Ghz imac & MS Office 2008, and I couldn't be more happier. Don't worry about the learning curve, a couple of weeks and you'll be flying like a pro.

If you can't stay away from Windows, and imac can run it too. It's also aesthetically pleasing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Amy,
I've used PC's since IBM's first offering with one 5 1/2" floppy drive and their XT with two such drives. That was some 25 years ago. I changed to mac last year and it's the best move I made. Do I miss PC's? - NO. Is their anything I could do with Office that I can't do better on a mac? - NO. Just go for it and see how long it is before your husband is using your mac in preference to his Dell.

Reaction score
Don't forget, you can always use boot camp and load a Microsoft OS and continue to use the office programs you are used to using. I just switched my self (although I still have an XP gaming machine) and am very happy. I loaded WinXP with boot camp so I can use my GPS map software and a few other Windows only apps.

On the mac side I just loaded NeoOffice and it works great for me and best of all it's FREE!

I picked up a black macbook as it is a good overall machine and a bit more portable than it's bigger brother.

Goos luck with your decision.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah to all the replies! I also think my husband will be begging to use my mac! I really want the portability of a notebook so I can take it to school and give presentations to my students......like I can do with powerpoint. I am really excited with all the information and now I just need to decide if I should go with the MacBook or the MacBook Pro. I get the educators discount at the store...should I buy from there or look around online....I am really distrustful of online stores but other than Best Buy (not a lot of choice there) I don't have any other options. Thank you for all the input!

OP
A
Reaction score
I really want everyone to know that I simply cannot get over the support I feel I have received from here! If everything in life always had this kind of support I think it would be so much easier! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
If you have the ability and the means, go for the educator discount. Macs pricing tends to be fairly even anywhere you go to buy because the prices are set by Apple.

Unless you are running graphic intensive or numbers crunching applications, an upper level MB may fit your needs nicely. My recommendation would be to go to a store that sells Apple systems, and try them out before you put your money down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have the ability and the means, go for the educator discount. Macs pricing tends to be fairly even anywhere you go to buy because the prices are set by Apple.

Unless you are running graphic intensive or numbers crunching applications, an upper level MB may fit your needs nicely. My recommendation would be to go to a store that sells Apple systems, and try them out before you put your money down.

Agreed, it would probably be easiest to just go to the apple online store and buy from there, they will treat you very well, I remember I paid for next day shipping and it was a day late, they put a whole team of people on my case and gave me my money back for the shipping. Also as Wolf said, if you have an apple store or any other store with Macs nearby you should go and try to the different models out to see which will work best for you, good luck ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
Yeah to all the replies! I also think my husband will be begging to use my mac! I really want the portability of a notebook so I can take it to school and give presentations to my students......like I can do with powerpoint. I am really excited with all the information and now I just need to decide if I should go with the MacBook or the MacBook Pro. I get the educators discount at the store...should I buy from there or look around online....I am really distrustful of online stores but other than Best Buy (not a lot of choice there) I don't have any other options. Thank you for all the input!
And if you're so used to MS Office, there's a version of it for Mac, too. And works just like the ine on Windows ...

OP
A
Reaction score
I just found out my school actually sells them and is certified to repair them. I am going to go in there tomorrow and try a couple out and see what I think. I have played on them before but I really want to make sure I am getting exactly what I want.
Again, Thanks so very much for all the positive input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem, and good luck on your search for a Mac... happy trails :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.