Photoshop Elements 6 and iPhoto 08

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz 2GB Ram 120GB Hard Drive
I just got my copy of Photoshop Elements 6. I want it to do more serious editing with my photos in my iPhoto 08 library. However it appears to be proprietary in that I cannot get my pics to open in Photo Elements for editing. When I tried to change the preferences in iPhoto from editing in Main Window to Photo Elements. When I open it....I get "could not import the clipboard because of an error getting data from the clipboard of another application":|

LWC

Reaction score
Must be a problem on your computer - I just tried it on mine and it worked perfectly

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoa!

I can't believe it is my computer. I have a new MBP from just a couple months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I know posts like this don't really help but . . . it works fine for me too!

Have you restarted your mac since installing Elements? Did you have a different external app assigned for editing before changing to elements or did you just edit internally in iphoto?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not alone

I had no other program opening iPhotot for editing. I was using the simple edit feature of iPhoto 08 before loading Photo Elements 6. However, I found another individual saying this....

While the new GUI of iPhoto '08 is impressive, the compatibility of opening items in my iPhoto library with other programs (PhotoShop, Final Cut, etc.) is terrible.
I import my photos from my camera to iPhoto, allowing it to organize photo folders as it sees fit. The problem lies in the fact that, if trying to open another a picture or video in one of the aforementioned programs, it proves something of an impossibility.
For instance, if I am using Final Cut and would like to import a video I took on my still camera which has been filed under the iPhoto library, it simply cannot be done, as the iPhoto library icon is locked, providing no access to the subfolders. The same problems occurs in PhotoShop. I now have to either export the photo to somewhere else on my hard drive or go through the annoying process of unlocing the subfolders and copying them. This is especially annoying with large video files.
I am aware that I can show those folders using the OS Finder option, but this cannot be done from another programs "Open File" menu.
I understand that is is considered a new safety precaution to keep people's iPhoto libraries from getting corrupt, but I would like the option to forgo Apple's opinions on the integrity of my library and do what I wish. This is a very "Windows" thing to do, in that it is streamlined to be compatible with only Apple's products.
I called Apple technical support, only to be told that there is no workaround, and that's just how it is. I will now be forced to rebuild my library from scratch and not let iPhoto organize them. This is proving to be a gigantic hassle, and I seriously hope that Apple fixes this inconvenient feature in as quick a time as possible.
This is the first time I have had any problems with Apple's software, but this is the biggest headache you could make for someone like me, who has relied on my iPhoto library for years."

I think that reaffirms what I am saying.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That's a completely different issue.

That post is talking about opening the iPhoto library file directly, not via edit in iPhoto.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand

I'm reading all over the place about the 08 issue and how the files within the iPhoto folder are locked in place. If I try to drag an individual photo out of iPhoto 08 album into Elements, it just slides right back to iPhoto. I try to change the editing tool to Elements in the preferences and it just acts like an error. I read this same problem with many people. I think iPhoto is just proprietary for a reason....Jobs doesn't want people messing around in the folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK sorry i'm confused....

Are you trying to open the file from within the iPhoto app using Elements as the nominated editor?

OR

Are you trying to open a photo from elements directly from the iphoto library file?

_______
If you open iphoto, open an event, right-click on a photo and choose "edit in external editor" - what happens? If there's an error what exactly does it say?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you

yes...using external editor does work....as a neophyte I don't see all the problems other more experiencing people seem to have with these two programs....it works just fine!

Reaction score
I just take the photo I want to edit which is in iPhoto and drag it to my Photoshop Elements icon in my dock and it opens it up.

AJB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
I am new to PE but it seems to me there are easy ways to get photos out of iPhoto 08 and into Photeshop Elements.

On my trial version of PE, it comes with Bridge. When Bridge is opened, either directly or via the PE screen, it gives access to all files on my mac, including the entire iPhoto library. Clicking on an image puts it on the Bridge desktop and clicking on it again opens it in PE.

Or, with PE and iPhoto both open, I can just drag any image straight out of iPhoto and drop it into PE. It is also possible to drag any image off the desktop straight into PE.

Reaction score
I just purchased my copy of PSE 6 for Mac and loaded it up. Adobe's marketing material, and even the box it comes in, says, "Works with iPhoto". But nowhere in any of the help material does it explain what that means. Even a word search using "ipHoto" turns up no hits!

Also, I have noticed that PSE 6 is very slow to launch on my iMac. I have a 2.16 Ghz machine with 2 GB of RAM, lightly loaded, and it takes PSE about 80 seconds to launch. It says "scanning for presets" while it is waiting to launch. Any ideas why? (I have nothing else open on the Mac.)

LWC

Reaction score
I have a MacBook 2.16Ghz core 2 duo and it launches in about 10 seconds.
"Works with iPhoto". But nowhere in any of the help material does it explain what that means."
In iPhoto you can set PSE 6 to be the default editor for your photos.

AJB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
I am running a new iMac 2.8 Ghz and Photoshop Elements 6 opens in less than 3 seconds. if it is taking a minute on your machine then you need to have a look at what else you have got open or running in the background to slow your machine down.

Mine will happily run iPhoto 2008 and Aperture (on 30 day trial) and still open PE6 more or less instantly wit various other programs (Word, pages, Safari etc) running.

Reaction score
new here chiming in

I have Photohop Elements 6 and iPhoto. What I've found works is opening Bridge, opening iPhoto, choosing the iPhoto folder I want in iPhoto, choosing an image, and then dragging and dropping the image into the preview section of Bridge. The contents of the folder, all of the images, will then appear in Bridge.

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to open images in my library (Elements 6) from software bundled with my iMac. It won't allow me past the iPhotos file into my original pics file. After reloading Elements 6 it still won't open a file.

However it does open from a memory stick (Jpeg and Tiff).

This looks like the problem you also had.

Any suggestions? Did you solve yours?

C

chas_m

The posts you are responding too are two years old. Yes, they solved the problem.

DO NOT mess with the iPhoto Library file from the Finder. EVER. This is a sure way to lose photos, corrupt iPhoto, and generally make your life awful.

The *right* way to work with iPhoto and Photoshop Elements is really very simple:

1. In iPhoto, go into preferences -> General, click on "Edit Photo:" and choose "other program ..." to select Photoshop Elements.

2. That's pretty much it. Now when you double-click on a selected photo in iPhoto, Elements will automatically start up and open the photo you selected. You can work on it all you like in Elements, and when you save it, the changes will be updated in iPhoto.

You can still edit photos directly in iPhoto if you want, just don't double-click the photo (right click it instead).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.