Transfering from PC - MAC

B

BzY

Im sure this has been covered before, im just not to sure how to search for it.

The Problem i have is that i need to transfer a 4.6 gigs from a PC with xp to an ibook g4. can i do this via ethernet? any info is apreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes you can.

Plug the ethernet cable into your pc & your mac.

Go to system preferences ->network->built-in ethernet

There under the TCP/IP tab, you should see a drop down box with options and a field marked IP address.

Now: You need to set these up so that they fit your pc's settings.

The IP addresses are ideally similar, so if your PC's is: 192.168.0.1 your mac's should be 192.168.0.2

The subnet address should be the same.
Also check to see if your mac is using the same workgroup as the pc (check mac help to find where to set this)

Also enable windows sharing in the 'sharing' preference pane.

Your mac should appear in the pc's network places, you can access the pc by selecting finder's 'go' menu and then 'connect to server'

here enter the pc's ip address and you should be set.

-------------------------

Edit: I think / know there are easier ways of doing this, I just haven't had to find them out yet... But of the top of my head this one should work.

I'm open to better suggestions!

OP
T

The mac 13

Aptmunich said:
There under the TCP/IP tab, you should see a drop down box with options and a field marked IP address.

Now: You need to set these up so that they fit your pc's settings.

The IP addresses are ideally similar, so if your PC's is: 192.168.0.1 your mac's should be 192.168.0.2

The subnet address should be the same.
Also check to see if your mac is using the same workgroup as the pc (check mac help to find where to set this)

how do you set the ip and the subnet add?

OP
H

hank1

The mac 13 said:
how do you set the ip and the subnet add?

I second that. The IP and the Subnet are set for the eMac, but it seems impossible to set these for the PC's on the Workgroup. It's disheartening to know the PC's IPs but how to get it into the eMac Network?

I suspect the source of the problem is at the PC's but haven't found it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oops double post,

glad to be of service hank1!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hank1 said:
I second that. The IP and the Subnet are set for the eMac, but it seems impossible to set these for the PC's on the Workgroup. It's disheartening to know the PC's IPs but how to get it into the eMac Network?

I suspect the source of the problem is at the PC's but haven't found it yet.
Well to set the ip and subnet address on the mac, go to system prefs.->network->built-in ethernet-> tcp/it Select manually from the drop down box and enter the information as required.

On the pc, right-click 'my network places', select settings and then go to tcp/ip in the settings window.

There you should be able to set the ip address and subnet address.

You can also set the workgroup there.

On the mac, the workgroup is hidden in: applications->utilities->directory access.

Click on the lock in the bottom right of the window to authenticate yourself, then select SMB. Click on configure to enter a workgroup name.

ALTERNATIVELY: you can go to system prefs->network->ethernet and click on 'assist me' at the bottom to help you get set up...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.