PDA

View Full Version : G5 Laptops?

mimmyhonker
08-01-2003, 04:36 PM
I know this question may have been asked here dozens of times, so I apologize for being a newbie :) But, is there any information as to when Apple will release a G5 PowerBook? That would be wonderful. Also another question: what are the main architectural advantages of the G4 over the G3? I am hoping that my upgrade from G3 to G4 PoerBook was worth the money! It should arrive next week. Thanks!

trpnmonkey41
08-01-2003, 04:53 PM
I know this question may have been asked here dozens of times, so I apologize for being a newbie :) But, is there any information as to when Apple will release a G5 PowerBook? That would be wonderful. Also another question: what are the main architectural advantages of the G4 over the G3? I am hoping that my upgrade from G3 to G4 PoerBook was worth the money! It should arrive next week. Thanks!

apple has said they have no plans to and will very unlikely do a G5 powerbook because they want to stick with the motorola.

hokiethang
08-01-2003, 05:33 PM
apple has said they have no plans to and will very unlikely do a G5 powerbook because they want to stick with the motorola.

and the fact that the G5 is a very hot chip. All the cooling in the towers are done by 9 cooling fans. You cant fit the same cooling in a notebook sized machine, so i doubt we will see a G5 based notebook any time soon, unless some apple engineer figures out how to drop the temperature of the chip and cool it with smaller heatsinks.

rman
08-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Maybe if they can create an external cooling system that plugs into the powerbook.

Like the cray that sat in a liquid bath. :D :)

Graphite
08-01-2003, 10:52 PM
Fear not after they control the heat issue with the g5. they WILL move to a powerbook version.. or do a G5-Laptop version... so just give it time :)