I want to keep my iMac Healthy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
How do I know if there are any problems with my iMac? Like is there a program I can 'safely' use to check my iMac?

I know Macs don't need all the maintaince like Windows PC's, but I just feel that I need to check every month to make sure my iMac is problem free and has no un-left issues.

I've had a few errors which I kinda solved by just reopening the application and doing what I did that had caused the first error, then it worked ok next time round. I've had one 'plug the plug' shutdown too.

I like to keep on top of things lol:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day Jenn from across the ditch.

Download a little program called Onyx and run it from time to time to clean cache and maintenance programs. Go to Disk Utility and run Verify Disk and if all reports okay, run Repair Permisions which takes about twenty minutes under Leopard. If suggest repair, boot from your OS install DVD and run Repair Disk from there.

Every couple of weeks hit the Software Update button in the dock or under the Apple menu.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hiya harryb2448, nice to hear from someone nearby;D

I will check out Onyx and try it, have you used it?

I have the Mac Software Update done once a week, actually it did an update today lol

If needed at anytime, is the Repair Disk from the DVD easy to do, no complicated questions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes very easy. Pop it into the optical drive, boot holding down 'C' and go to Utilities and run it from there.

I do use Onyx regularly, but must confess for all these maintenance thingos use a little program called 'Macaroni'. It cost about NZ$12.00 and runs daily, weekly, monthly, repair permissions etc. when you set it up to or just leave as default.

It is available as a download from the Atomicbird website and has a 35 day trial period.

Here is a link to the site:-

http://www.atomicbird.com/macaroni

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link I will check that out too as that might be better.

Good to know the Repair Disk is simple, makes things a lot easier for me:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MacFanBoy for that info too. So with disk maintaince with fsck, that won't change anything on my Mac when it's all finished? like Menu Bar, time etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Thanks MacFanBoy for that info too. So with disk maintaince with fsck, that won't change anything on my Mac when it's all finished? like Menu Bar, time etc

No it's a bit like windows checkdisk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
I'm not big on Onyx. I use MacJanitor. Same concept really, just MacJanitor is a bit easier to use, IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
A little routine called Maintenance 3.8 will run the Mac's self maintenance routines either on a schedule or manually. Of course, if you leave your Mac on, (in sleep mode rather than turning it off), your Mac will take care of itself when it is not being used, (usually early, early morning).

;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.