lost wireless connection for a while

Reaction score
I opened up my ibook and there was no connection. I'm using a router and have a special name for my wireless hookup and it was GONE. I didn't know what to do. I re-started the router but that didn't make a difference. I re-started the ibook and that didn't make a difference.
I finally just let it sit for a bit and then re-opened it and there was my special name but I had to give it my WPA password again. Why would this have happened??

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
Linksys went kaput

I think my linksys went kaput. I tired to rest it and nothing. No signal at all. Is there anything else I can do to see if it's still usable?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try doing a cold reset. Unplug the power cord. Press and hold the recessed reset button on the rear. Plug the power cord in and continue holding the reset button for 30 seconds. That should put it back at factory defaults. If you still see absolutely no signal, your first instincts were probably right - it's time for a new router. Just make sure you confirm it with more than one machine (it's always possible that your Airport adapter just went bad).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Model Linksys Router is this? Some routers when reset start with WiFi disabled.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
It's a Wireless-G broadband router. For now I just unplugged the router and using my wireless internet connection. I have one of those satellite tower type internet providers. So, my port is good, just the router that doesn't want to cooperate. I noticed that over the past few days I've had to unplug and plug back in to get a connection off the router. Hmmm... maybe that was the first clue with it going bad.
It just sucks because I like using my laptop on the couch. This computer I"m on now is the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
they go bad after time. Get a cheap Airlink. They are cheap because they use Linux which is free. I find they work fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
they go bad after time. Get a cheap Airlink. They are cheap because they use Linux which is free. I find they work fine.

Almost all wireless routers use some form of Linux as the embedded OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.