New to the iPhone - Couple of questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Finally decided to get one and love it to bits. I do, however, have a few queries.

I think the camera is pretty clear even though there is no flash or video options but I can live with that. However, how do i transfer pictures from the camera role to my mac? I go into iphoto and it picks up the iphone but it doesn't show anything?

Second of all, ringtones? I don't really want to purchase a song from itunes just to have it as a ringtone, cant i use one of the songs already on my itunes from my cd collection as a ringtone? How do you do this?

I don't seem to have the option of being able to change the "desktop" looks - (sorry not sure what that main screen is called so will call it that for now) I watched the tutorial on apple where by you press and hold on an icon and they all wobble thus being able to change it all around - however mine doesn't do this (I am on 1.12 btw) and there are no little dots at the bottom of the screen to switch from one page to the next. Is this something that comes with 1.14?

I think thats about it for now, i miss picture messenger and being able to bluetooth stuff to people but apart from that the iPhone has everything a phone should have in this day in age.

Really appreciate any help

Thanks

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
1)iPhoto should just open automatically when you connect, so just select and import the ones that you want.
2) Ringtones can be made in garageband. What I do is drag the song from itunes, then go to sharing>send ringtone to itunes. A message will appear saying sdjust the duration (max. 40 secs). So at the top is a yellow bar, which highlights the area that will be a ringtone, adjust this and then go to send ringtone to itunes again, and it appears in the itunes ringtone tab, named song 1, and under your name as the artist. You can then adjust this and there you go.
3)Adjustable home screen came in 1.1.3, so you should update to 1.1.3/4 to get these features.

hope this helps!

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Hi Charlie,

thanks for your response. When i connect the iphone iphoto doesn't open automatically and when i open it by myself it displays the iphone in the lest to the left but displays nothing in the window - I cant even drag and drop photos from my iphoto into the iphone window - again maybe this was something that came with 1.13?

Thanks again

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Try this to get your photos to import: Open the Image Capture application (in your Applications folder), and select Image Capture, Preferences, General. Where it says "When a camera is connected, open:" select iPhoto. This should cause iPhoto to open when you sit the iPhone in its cradle. Of course, it will now cause iPhoto to open whenever you connect ANY camera...

Reaction score
1)Ringtones can be made in garageband. What I do is drag the song from itunes, then go to sharing>send ringtone to itunes. A message will appear saying sdjust the duration (max. 40 secs). So at the top is a yellow bar, which highlights the area that will be a ringtone, adjust this and then go to send ringtone to itunes again, and it appears in the itunes ringtone tab, named song 1, and under your name as the artist. You can then adjust this and there you go.

I just tried this with a song in my iTunes and it didn't work. I don't have the "send ringtone to iTunes" option. Instead- I have the "send song to iTunes" so I do that and then right click it and select "create ringtone." It then tells me a ringtone can't be created from that song and that only songs purchased from the iTunes store can be ringtones... is there any way around this??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I just tried this with a song in my iTunes and it didn't work. I don't have the "send ringtone to iTunes" option. Instead- I have the "send song to iTunes" so I do that and then right click it and select "create ringtone." It then tells me a ringtone can't be created from that song and that only songs purchased from the iTunes store can be ringtones... is there any way around this??
Latest versions of Garageband and iTunes installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
I'll Just check...

EDIT:

Its in the share menu, just under the send SONG to itunes

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

That is a message received in iTunes - you need to drag the song you want into garageband and then use the Share menu in garageband

Reaction score
That is a message received in iTunes - you need to drag the song you want into garageband and then use the Share menu in garageband

Right, I do that and when I bring it back into itunes to try to make it a ringtone it gives me that message.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't drag it back to itunes - when it is in Garageband - go to the garageband menu - click on share - send ringtone to itunes

You are going to turn it into a ringtone in garageband, not itunes.

garageband will then send it to itunes - there will be nothing for you to drag to itunes, merely go to itunes after garageband has sent the ringtone there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
Does this only work with iLife 08? I have iLife 06 and only have the send song to itunes, not send ringtone to iTunes. I tried just clicking send the song but it just places it in my iTunes library.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have '06 installed anymore - very well could be since there was no iPhone, nor need of ringtones at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
Don't have '06 installed anymore - very well could be since there was no iPhone, nor need of ringtones at the time.

Thats what I figured. I would buy 08 but I believe I'm going to be purchasing a new MacBook Pro in the next 3 months so I'm going to hold off since it'll come with the new machine.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I managed to do the ringtones and put them into my itunes, however when i put more than 1 ringtone onto the iphone instead of having 5 new ringtones for example I have 5 of the same?

In regards to my iphoto problem, this is what I can see when iphoto is open: www.bekids.co.uk/joe/iphoto.png

I also hear there is a program that you can use to "explore" the iphone like a external device. Is this true? Is so what is the program?

Thanks for all your help

P.S I have upgraded to 1.14

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.