GarageBand Won't Open

Reaction score
Okay, I recently got an MBox with Pro Tools. I understand there is compatibility problems with Leopard (Which I have) so that's all fine for the time being, the problem is, I installed Pro Tools to try it, long story short, It didn't work, so i Uninstalled it. Wanting to use my MBox and new speakers, I thought I'd try recording on Garageband... It wouldn't open.

Is this something to do with the fact I installed Pro Tools? (Even though I took it off again) Or is it because you can't use Digidesign hardware with Garageband? Or something else?

"The application Garageband quit unexpectedly" (Even though it hadn't opened - still "initialising")

Final question... is there any way to uninstall Garageband, then re-install?

Thanks in advance.

Stoo, a new member =)

Reaction score
wish someone had an answer for this

Man I wish someone had an answer for this question because I have the same exact problem. Not sure if it is bc of Digidesign software of just Leopard but I have yet to be able to use GarageBand ever since installing Leopard when it came out. If anyone out there knows the answer to this inquiry please help us out bc I can guarantee that there are plenty of people out there who have the same issue and cant find a resolution. Thank you.

Reaction score
You Too

I have LOGIC 8 Pro tools and garageband and none of them make it past the core audio start up so i would guess it comes from that. :Grimmace: i tried uninstall reinstall nothing HELP! i need to make music. and everyone i know has a PC

Reaction score
Hey guys, I realize this is an old thread but I was having the exact same problems as the other posters. I recently purchased an M Box Mini and installed the Pro Tools LE software and plugins. After doing that Garage Band and Logic wouldn't open, they'd just hang up than quit 'unexpectedly'.

Here's how I fixed it:

Uninstalled Pro Tools LE and all the plug-ins. Than went into Macintosh HD ->Library -> Application Support and deleted anything that had to do with Digidesign or the recently installed plug-ins. I also uninstalled the stuff for ReWire since I read on another forum that that could also interfere with Garageband.

Hope this helps someone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.