PDA

View Full Version : Typing

chrisiw
03-20-2008, 06:52 AM
How many of you guys can "Touch Type" I have always just used four fingers, trouble is that you have to look at the keyboard, I did start to do an online course but its so hard I dont tink I will carry on.

It seems to me that not many can touch type, ever IT guys still seem to use just a few fingers:Confused:

Antonvrg
03-20-2008, 07:27 AM
I use four fingers and my thumb for space bar and
need to look at keyboard =/

charliecrosslan
03-20-2008, 07:32 AM
I use just two first fingers and thumb on the space bar:

I nver maje any mistokes!

lol

chrisiw
03-20-2008, 07:47 AM
It will be interesting to see if anybody on here can "touchtype"

mathogre
03-20-2008, 07:56 AM
I learned how to type on a manual typewriter. No joke. I can touch type like a champ. Now I can't do numbers without looking at the keyboard, nor can I do symbols, but text flows like water. Based on the test at the link below, I have a speed of 57 wpm. ^_^

speed
57 wpm
233 cpm

accuracy
cpm: 97%
wpm: 100%

http://www.testmytyping.com/typing-speed-test.php

About ten years ago I tried to use a Dvorak layout. Logistics kept me from using it long term, but I learned all of the key positions and was probably up to 20 wpm. "Logistics" means I had to constantly switch keyboard mapping from US to Dvorak as my wife and I used the same computer at home; the annoyance of doing so made me drop the Dvorak keyboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

chrisiw
03-20-2008, 08:43 AM
I learned how to type on a manual typewriter. No joke. I can touch type like a champ. Now I can't do numbers without looking at the keyboard, nor can I do symbols, but text flows like water. Based on the test at the link below, I have a speed of 57 wpm. ^_^

speed
57 wpm
233 cpm

accuracy
cpm: 97%
wpm: 100%

http://www.testmytyping.com/typing-speed-test.php

About ten years ago I tried to use a Dvorak layout. Logistics kept me from using it long term, but I learned all of the key positions and was probably up to 20 wpm. "Logistics" means I had to constantly switch keyboard mapping from US to Dvorak as my wife and I used the same computer at home; the annoyance of doing so made me drop the Dvorak keyboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard
Thats good, wish I could type that fast, and without looking is the best bit I think

Derek McNelly
03-20-2008, 11:12 AM
I can touch type as well. Used to be a lot faster, but I also used to do a lot more coding.

Speed:
57 WPM
243 CPM

Accuracy:
CPM: 95%
WPM: 93%

Not too bad.

Brown Study
03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I learned to touch-type on an Underwood 5, and at my peak hit 85 wam on it. However, like mathogre, numbers are hit or miss. Roman numerals, though, are a snap unless I'm doing long division. :)

Huh? Calculator???

Village Idiot
03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
about the same. Learned on my own.

Ryan13
03-20-2008, 01:11 PM
My skills are kinda like MathOgre's, words are fine, but it's the numbers and symbols that mess me up!

Typing carefully I am 70 wam with 0 mistakes.
Typing fast I am 78 wam with 3 mistakes.

The Vindicat3d
03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah I can touch type, it'll freak people out because I'll be righting something and than someone comes in to ask me something and I turn my head to look and talk to them but continue typing as I look and talk to them lol.

fleurya
03-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I assume by touch type you mean not looking at the keys. I can do it, but usually look at the keys. When everyone else was practicing typing in high school, I was playing King's Quest and Oregon Trail, so I'm not very good at it.

Ryan13
03-20-2008, 01:37 PM
I loved Oregon Trail!

sanity1082
03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
When everyone else was practicing typing in high school, I was playing King's Quest and Oregon Trail, so I'm not very good at it.

LOL I remember the good old Oregon Trail days.

I am pretty good at touch typing. I know the way i use my hands to type is not considered to be the best way as i dont use my pinky finger on my right hand, oddly enough i use my pinky on my left hand....it makes no sense to me either.

Kash
03-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Touch typing is easy for me, but then again, I've been typing for quite some time now - I think I got my first computer in 1994, so it's been like fourteen years of hands on experience with a keyboard. Oh, and I use all ten fingers. :D

chrisiw
03-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Guess I gotta keep working at it

CL33Zero
03-20-2008, 08:51 PM
I never look at the keyboard. Just something I dont do. I prefer to watch the screen. But I can look away as well.

clint1986
03-20-2008, 09:01 PM
I've been using a computer since I was about 7 years old, and I'm now 21. To touch-type is a skill that has just developed naturally over time. I noticed I was touch-typing at about 16 perhaps.