• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Can You Change This

Reaction score
"How come the Mac's "Maximize" button doesn't actually Maximize things?"
It's because Mac OS X doesn't have a Maximize button, it has a Zoom button.

OS X: Ok, so why is it that Mac OS X's Zoom button doesn't enlarge windows so that they fill the screen?

Apple's philosophy is that a maximized environment is inherintly inefficent since it makes dragging content from one window to another extremely cumbersome (read the section on Drag and Drop). Many types of documents are vertically oriented (like a printed page) yet monitors are wider than they are tall. So—for instance— it doesn't make sense for a word processing document to fill the width of the screen.

The Zoom button toggles its window between 2 states, the standard state and the user state. The standard state is determined by the manufacturer of the program being used. Apple's User Interface Guidelines provides this sensible direction to programmers for deciding the standard state of a window."

I just figured this out right now and knew where to come to get some help. I experienced this in a Mac Store when trying to maximize a window. How can you change it so it maximizes like on Windows XP? If i bought a mac, i would find this quite irritating.

Thanks alot

M

m1k

Just change the window size once manually for each program when you buy the Mac and you'll never have to do it again for those programs. It's annoying, yes, and I know no way around it. But it doesn't annoy me anymore because I resized all the windows when I got my Mac and now they don't give me any more problems.

If anybody knows a way to make it so that the zoom button maximizes, that would be great...

Good luck!

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Ok thats great....Thanks! OS X should just have an option to change the window sizes. Oh well. Still looks like an awsome OS! :D

How would you go about changing it though..... Can you give a screen shot. I'm learning all these little thing about OS X b4 i buy one. So thanks again!

Anyones thoughts would be great! :) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The 3 buttons - red yellow green - in the upper left. Red closes, yellow minimizes to dock (right side of line next to trash) green maximizes

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
witeshark said:
The 3 buttons - red yellow green - in the upper left. Red closes, yellow minimizes to dock (right side of line next to trash) green maximizes

But you have to set the window size first so that green maximizes to the size set?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.