PDA

View Full Version : Where do you Notebook?

imme
03-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Some people take there notebooks everywhere with them, even on short trips like shopping and such. Others only take them to set places, such as work or events and some just use them as desktop computers and they never leave there desk.

How about you? Where do you take your notebook, what notebook (or macbook) do you have and what sort of work do you do on it?

kkelly122
03-19-2008, 06:05 PM
i only take my MBP to classes and on long trips. other than that it sits on my desk as what seems a desktop. i really have no use taking it to shopping and other things like that, that seem pointless.

Kash
03-19-2008, 06:09 PM
I take my Macbook to my classes on a daily basis. I sometimes use it on the couch in the living room, though most of the time it sits on my desk in my room hooked up to a million wires and an external monitor.

JohnTheMacGeek
03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
I don't really see a reason to take a laptop shopping but I, too, have seen people walking around Wal-Mart with a laptop bag slung over their shoulder. I take it to work, on trips to the in-laws (have to occupy my time somehow!) and to certain events. I haven't been on vacation since I bought it but I'll certainly take it with me then, as well.

kkelly122
03-19-2008, 06:25 PM
... to the in-laws (have to occupy my time somehow!).

haha classic meet the parents moment.

The Vindicat3d
03-19-2008, 06:27 PM
It follows me around the house, my friends houses, school, vacations wether they be 2 days or 20, and long (4+ hours) car rides. If I want to check the weather or something while I'm at a supermarket or mall of some sort I'll just whip out my iPod Touch and go to the weather "widget".

dingster1
03-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Long trips, other than that,from the bedroom to the livingroom

hexonxonx
03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Only on vacation in September every year. Other than it, it's either in the bedroom or in the living room.

sanity1082
03-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Mine goes just about everywhere with me. I take it to and from work, to all my meetings through out the day, at home in every room except the bed and bathroom, vacation, trips, and i do use it in the car when i am early to a meeting. I do not take it shopping although i have taken my mb to various stores when i have a meeting at that location.

iRye
03-19-2008, 07:39 PM
When I had the MacBook, I took it to starbucks occasionally. I mostly used it at home though.

TamiRene
03-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Mine goes with me to work every day, to meetings, and around the house.

Tanner31593
03-19-2008, 09:53 PM
My FAVORITE place is at night, while i'm in my bed.
With my electric blanket, and often with ice cream, all warm and cozy and covered up and with food.
NOW THAT'S NICE.

Noels
03-19-2008, 10:08 PM
My Macbook stays on the kitchen table during the day, where I check my e-mail in the morning at breakfast and as necessary during the day. In the evening it sits in my lap while I'm watching TV, etc. Then when we go on vacation, I pack it up and take it along so i can get my daily "fix" of e-mails, visiting my forums and browsing for other things. Before my Macbook (which is a recent buy), I had a Windows laptop for 3 years. BTW, I much prefer the Macbook to the Windows lappie...

Noel

TrishOB
03-19-2008, 10:44 PM
When I had my G4 desktop and my iBook, the desktop stayed on the desk in the computer room, and I kept the iBook on the little table in the bedroom so I always had it available in there. Then I sold the G4 and the iBook and bought a MBP.

Now the MBP mostly stays on the desk in the computer room where the G4 used to live, but I sometimes use it in the bedroom or living room if I want to watch TV while I'm using it. It comes on vacation with us, mainly to transfer photos from the digital cameras so we can erase them and take more pictures.

fearlessfreap24
03-19-2008, 11:07 PM
i take mine on the ship to watch movies while underway. it sits nicely on my belly while in my rack. i have a speaker pillow that i plug into the earphone jack to make it more comfortable. i am always afraid that the ship will take a roll and i will drop it on the deck, but it hasnt happened and i take the best precautions when taking to my rack.

Leukeh
03-19-2008, 11:34 PM
I don't have one... but if I did, it'd take to to Starbucks to work on my novel.

>_>
<_<

I'd probably use it on the bus on the way to college (1 1/2hrs)... and then at college, so someone else can use the G4 iMacs there...

eric
03-20-2008, 12:31 AM
mainly the couch. ;)

sometimes it goes around the house, and it has come to my work.

CL33Zero
03-20-2008, 02:49 AM
Anywhere in my house. Parents house always. Long trips.

MBasile
03-20-2008, 03:02 AM
I don't really see a reason to take a laptop shopping but I, too, have seen people walking around Wal-Mart with a laptop bag slung over their shoulder. I take it to work, on trips to the in-laws (have to occupy my time somehow!) and to certain events. I haven't been on vacation since I bought it but I'll certainly take it with me then, as well.

perhaps they came from somewhere where they needed it and arent comfortable leaving it sitting in their car?

I used tot take mine to class, but now that I only have spanish and math classes, its useless. I take it to work (although not needed for retail work) it still kills time in the back (shhhhhh). I also take it with me if I have a long break between class and work and am not going home, then I can sit at starbucks or something and fool around with photoshop (not like I'd pay $10 for an hour of internet)

I also usually take it on trips, but at home its usually on the coffee table (even though now its back in my room because I cleaned off my desk so I can actually use it)

cheetahastra
03-20-2008, 10:01 AM
I mainly use my windows notebook on the couch in front of the TV, rarely i'll use it in bed if im lazy. Otherwise I only normally use it elsewhere on vacation, or if im visiting my parents. My notebook and my iMac get about equal use - its great.

bubba
03-20-2008, 08:17 PM
I "notebook" mostly from my recliner while watching/listening to TV.

I did take my MacBook on vacation with me so I could work on and upload photos.

Derek McNelly
03-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Let's see.

At home, at work, in class, at my dorm, at my friends', at my girlfriend's, pretty much everywhere that I'm not sitting in public, with the exception of class, but everyone has a laptop, so, it's not a big deal.

Neo
03-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Two MacBooks; one stays home, connected to iLife support like Kash's. The other ranges far afield: to work, conferences, road trips, my research sites in the forest...never to the grocery store. Except once.

Bluegrass
03-21-2008, 05:09 AM
I travel a lot so many airports and hotels as well as any wireless hotspots that I can find. When at home it is either in Shedquarters or on the couch. I am an amateur photographer as well so it gets used when I go take pictures, either tethered to my camera for live viewing or for on site reviewing after the shoot.

fleurya
03-21-2008, 12:24 PM
It seems like whenever I leave home and don't have my MBP, I have a need for it, so I usually take it with me when I'll be gone for a while, but nothing as extreme as simply going to the supermarket. My iPhone usually fills in nicely when I don't have my MBP. Mostly it plays the role of desktop, but sometimes I use it in front of the TV (how many screens can we try to use at once) and before bed.

I'm at a supermarket or mall of some sort I'll just whip out my iPod Touch and go to the weather "widget".

Wow, you're supermarket has wifi? That's pretty sweet. I can't even get free wifi at the mall, except for around the Apple store.

I travel a lot so many airports and hotels as well as any wireless hotspots that I can find. When at home it is either in Shedquarters or on the couch. I am an amateur photographer as well so it gets used when I go take pictures, either tethered to my camera for live viewing or for on site reviewing after the shoot.

Do most airports offer free wifi, or are they paid services? The few times I've traveled I've never been able to get wifi access. For example, recently I was waiting for a connecting flight in Dulles where they had wifi labeled as Dulles airport wifi. I was able to connect, but could not get any kind of internet access and didn't see any ay to "sign up". Also, at JFK I couldn't get any signals, but it may have been because of where I was located. (baggage pickup)

srmorris2
03-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Home, church (work), friends house, starbucks, trips, outside (to enjoy the warm weather finally)

Bluegrass
03-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Airports generally offer pay as you use wifi access. I have a BT account which allows me to log onto most networks as a partner. In the USA that is mostly via the T-Mobile wifi access points.

The Vindicat3d
03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
**{SNIP}***

Wow, you're supermarket has wifi? That's pretty sweet. I can't even get free wifi at the mall, except for around the Apple store.

Do most airports offer free wifi, or are they paid services? The few times I've traveled I've never been able to get wifi access. For example, recently I was waiting for a connecting flight in Dulles where they had wifi labeled as Dulles airport wifi. I was able to connect, but could not get any kind of internet access and didn't see any ay to "sign up". Also, at JFK I couldn't get any signals, but it may have been because of where I was located. (baggage pickup)

Yeah lol, it's a Stop & Shop with business offices upstairs so I can get WIFI from them. And some airports offer free WIFI, but a lot of companies are switching to this paid service (which is 100% stupid... ok maybe 94.7%, but w/e) where you have to go through a web browser and to a portal where you can sign up =/ phili and toronto have the entire city wired with free wireless! (wired with free wireless?? lol)

fleurya
03-21-2008, 03:06 PM
That's too bad airports are going to pay service. If I'm using my computer in an airport, it would rarely be for more than an hour or so while waiting for a flight. If I paid anything for that little of time, it wouldn't be more than a couple bucks. I think Dulles did have T-Mobile, but it was like a $10-20 minimum purchase and there was no way I would pay that!

charliecrosslan
03-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Take my mba to:

school, Long plane trips, work, sometimes to coffee shops and that

imme
03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Two MacBooks; one stays home, connected to iLife support like Kash's
What do you mean stays at home connected to iLife?

phili and toronto have the entire city wired with free wireless!
Really!? can you just do a search and connect with no logins or anything in toronto? Are you sure its not wimax? I hear its used over in North america/canada? I like toronto, been there a few times.

When I was in Amsterdam airport (schipol) there was Wifi, but you had to sign up with a web portal and pay also. I wasent having that I will stick to my little built in games like chess thankyou lol.

The Vindicat3d
03-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Yup really!

imme
03-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I carry my macbook with me to university every day and use it in lectures for taking notes. I also use it in breaks at university to catch up on web serging or doing work.

If im going anywhere, home, holiday, family house I will take it with me.

JPerry2010
03-27-2008, 01:01 AM
I am very rarely without my MacBook. It goes to class with me. I bring it to the campaign office for work. It goes with me when I travel. So far it has been to D.C. three times, Florida twice, Las Vegas once, St. Paul once, all over Austin, Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Waco, and San Antonio, and it will be going with me to North Carolina in a couple weeks. So yeah, if I am going to be gone from my room for more than a couple hours, it comes with me.

milessthomas
03-27-2008, 01:33 AM
I take my laptop to school for my online classes, to work to work on the website, and on the desk, bed, couch at home.

Ninapants
04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
My Macbook goes almost everywhere with me. I take it to school with me every day, and it never leaves my side. I use it for my online classes, but when I'm not working on classes, I like to check email and browse my forums. I also take my Macbook to my friend's houses, when I am visiting family, and when I go on vacations. When I use it at home, I either sit on my bed with a bunch of pillows (when I feel lazy) or I sit at my desk in the corner of my room.

dauber
04-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Heh...since I got her December, my MacBook has left the apartment exactly twice. When my wife and I took a trip to Vegas, we decided to take my MacBook because it's smaller and lighter than my wife's Wintel laptop...and when she used it on the plane on the way back, she said, "I've been using this for two hours. My battery runs out after only an hour!" She says it's not a PROBLEM on her laptop but the DESIGN! ha!

I teach test prep classes at night, and one night when I was having my "office hours" before class I brought Cermac with me...unfortunately no unprotected wireless Internet access. :(

So, why get a laptop if I didn't plan to take it with me everywhere? Well, so when I DO need my computer with me outside of home, I have it...also, I got my MacBook to help me out with music, and so if I need to record something or connect my MIDI keyboard, it's easy to move around.

JohnTheMacGeek
04-01-2008, 05:50 PM
haha classic meet the parents moment.
Oh, I've got stories! I'm thinking of writing a book! :Evil:

PinkLemonade
04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I mostly use my little 'ol clamshell at my desk, but sometimes I take it out to the couch, or even outside if it's a nice day.