Two Guys, A G4 and a Digi 001

Reaction score
I've been running a Macbook/Firepod/Logic Pro setup for a little bit now, but I'm finding that Protools keeps beckoning me (primarily because that's what we use in school, but also I've found there are a lot of studios in Chicago running it as well).

So me and a friend decided to go in on a system, opting to go for a digi 001 type setup as opposed to the questionable Mboxes and let's face it, what college kid can afford a Protools HD system? And I can't justify spending $1200 on a firewire interface.

So I've decided that the best (and cheapest) route to run Protools is by picking up a G4 PowerMac and a Digi 001. Naturally, I've run into some problems along the way (ie. compatibility issues with certain operating systems, much older version of Protools coming with Digis that have been up for sale, etc.)

So I guess I'm just looking for some guidance on the matter from someone who is familiar with protools and the digi 001. Just to hear it straight. Digidesin's compatibility info gets confusing.

What kind of G4 would be best suited? We were thinking a MDD but we'd prefer not to spend more than $500 on a G4.

There's a guy offering me a Digi 001 with over 60 plugins for $150, but the only problem is that it comes with Protools 5.1 and I don't think that works so well with later G4s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD Dual 1GHZ 1.25gb RAM, G4 PowerBook 1.67GHZ, 2gb RAM
I was attempting to do a similar thing with the older mix series (TDM) interfaces from Pro Tools, but got side tracked by a MOTU 828mkII. heh heh.

I can't really answer much about Digi 001, but I did buy an MDD Dual 1GHZ (with peripherals and a viewsonic VA720) for $425 off of craigslist. You said you want to stay below $500, so I highly recommend craigslist if you haven't already browsed it. These G4's are getting so inexpensive, if you're patient, you can come away with some crazy deals.

As for the version of PT you need, most of them are available from the digistore: (http://store.digidesign.com). Most of the older versions are very cheap too.. around $35 dollars for PT 6.4 I think.

good luck, and you might try the digidesign user conference forum for more specific help. (http://duc.digidesign.com)

Reaction score
G4 / ProTools...

I have some experience with this hardware. I took the plunge for the same reason you did.

I have a 733 Silverface ? G4 and a 500 Mhz G4. I just got the 733, but everything I have hear seems to work. I upgraded to the 733 because it has a 4th PCI slot.

Anyways, I'm running OS9 because that is the OS that supports Sample Cell hardware. In my system, I have the Digi001, SampleCell II. The interesting thing about the SampleCell II is it appears in the Pro Tools window as an input. I also have an ATTO SCSI Card. I'm running an Apple 8 Gig 10K SCSI rive and (2) 36G 15K Seagate drives for audio. I had this setup in the 500 Mhz working without problems. The reason I have upgraded is to use a Yamaha SW1000XG card. I've not tested this out.

I can tell you that a 500 Mhz Digi001 system with SCSI drives works great. Now, I have not tried to hook up an ADAT 8 channel preamp and throw a set of drums at the system. I suspect it would handle it.

The only issue with OS9 is finding plugins for that environment. That kind of stinks. However, I have a DBX DDP and Digitech Studio Quad running in channels 2-8 providing me compression/gating/de-essing on 2 channels and 4 channels of affects.

I have some plugins, but it would be nice to get the Bomb Factory compressor plugins if I could find them.

I should finally say, I spent 10 years building pcs from some of the best components available at the time. Everything from Windows 98 through to XP SP2. I've tried Yamaha DSP Factory, Gina Mona, Creative Soundblaster high end cards, and I could never get past the slow latency problems, clicking pop-up and crashes.

The G4 is rock solid. I've had 1 crash in over a year. There is a little hickey with my G4 if you leave it sitting. Does not want to wake up always. Sometimes it gets hung up loading the initial software usually on the Opcode OMS.

I got a 500 Mhz system for a $100, Digi 001 $150, SCSI Drives / Controller $100, Sample Cell IICard $50. I think I spent $400-500 on the system and I am very happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.