External DVD drive for Powerbook G3?

U

ukplc

Hi, a friend of mine bought her powerbook G3 in the USA, but now lives in the UK. She has a lot of US (Region 1) DVDs, but wants to be able to play Region 2 ones as well (so she can't just switch region). She doesn't own a TV, so she can't just get a DVD player to hook up to that. She's pretty paranoid about the computer, so won't consider flashing the DVD-drive
Can anyone recommend the cheapest way to sort this out... How much is an external DVD-ROM drive that you could hook up to a Powerbook that's running OSX, and can anyone tell me some models etc that are compatible with Macs?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Simon.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Does she have a firewire port. If so any firewire DVD burner would work. I have a LaCie DVD burner, which works very well. I am assuming a burner will play DVD also. The problem she is going to have is with the region codes. I believe that you can only change the region codes five times. After that you are stuck with the last setting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.